Being the Official Discussion Forum for Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea™

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/08/2019 9:17 am  #1

Fiend Folio

I find myself gravitating toward this classic, but I keep going back to straight ASSH. It’s as evocative as I need it to be. Anyone else using the Fiend Folio?

Thanks,
VR/Scott

11/08/2019 9:49 am  #2

Re: Fiend Folio

I do refer to the FF when comparing creatures and in my endeavours to create some AS&SH encounters I want in my development of Hyperborea, but I have not duplicate any creature from FF as yet. Also from its source; the White Dwarf magazine has some unmentioned in FF which I still over the years refer to.

11/08/2019 2:22 pm  #3

I used Frost Men and Ice Trolls straight out of FF in one of my AS&SH adventures.

11/08/2019 7:20 pm  #4

I'm using it in my campaign right now, actually. 

Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea - A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Fantasy

11/09/2019 3:52 pm  #5

Yeah; I still use pretty much all my 1st and 2nd edition resources, plus Swords & Wizardry & Labyrinth Lord stuff.  It's all pretty compatible, which is what makes the system great.  For extra flavor/variety I'll often draw spells from alternate lists or sources to keep players on their toes.  For example, as they were transitioning to 3rd edition TSR/WOTC put out a supplement derived from the Diablo game with everything statted out for 1st/2nd edition.  There's a necromancer class in there with some pretty cool spells that I often use for NPCs.

"Behind closed eyes,realize your sight."--Blue Oyster Cult

Board footera

“Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea”, “AS&SH”, and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ©2019 North Wind Adventures, LLC.