photo HYPERBOREATitleLogo_zpsb3d1e44b.jpg

Being the Official Discussion Forum for Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea™

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/04/2014 5:29 am  #1

General note about Swords and Wizardry creatures in AS&SoH

I was perusing both "Monstrosities" and the S&W version of "Tome of Horrors".  I saw several creatures from those books which would fit well in Hyperborea.  So, both of those books can be a great resource.

However, I did find one caveat. 

In general, Saves in S&W are easier for the monsters to make.  For example, the Frost Giant found in the Monstrosities, S&W Core, and S&W Complete has a save of 5, whereas it has a save of 12 in AS&SoH.  The 6 or 7 monsters I directly compared had varying degrees of difference, but were all lower in the S&W version.  (Gibbering Mouther was 13 in S&W and 15 in AS&SoH, for example.)

So, something to consider when importing monsters from other systems.

Last edited by francisca (6/04/2014 5:30 am)

6/04/2014 7:27 am  #2

Re: General note about Swords and Wizardry creatures in AS&SoH

Saves in AS&SH calculate directly from FA, right? Start at 16 and then -1 for each odd hit die (or -1 every other HD)? So they should be relatively easy to do on the fly (he says not knowing much of anything about S&W).

6/04/2014 10:41 am  #3

Saving throws in AS&SH are derived from hit dice.  Under 1 HD is 17, and it goes down in steps of two after that: 1-2 HD is 16, 3-4 HD is 15, etc.  Calculating them for new monsters is easy.  Or you could just use the better ones from S&W for those monsters.  Unless I accidentally wandered onto a 3rd edition forum, there's no reason that ungodly abominations have to be consistent.

"The fear of death, its risk each time, is one of the most stimulating parts of the game. It therefore behooves the referee to include as many mystifying and dangerous areas as is consistent with a reasonable chance for survival." - J. Eric Holmes

6/04/2014 12:29 pm  #4

Blackadder23 wrote:

Saving throws in AS&SH are derived from hit dice.  Under 1 HD is 17, and it goes down in steps of two after that: 1-2 HD is 16, 3-4 HD is 15, etc.  Calculating them for new monsters is easy.  Or you could just use the better ones from S&W for those monsters.  Unless I accidentally wandered onto a 3rd edition forum, there's no reason that ungodly abominations have to be consistent.

Look, I said it was something to consider, not "done wrong" or that better consistency was needed between the two systems.

6/04/2014 3:10 pm  #5

That's cool.  It's easy enough to fix.

"The fear of death, its risk each time, is one of the most stimulating parts of the game. It therefore behooves the referee to include as many mystifying and dangerous areas as is consistent with a reasonable chance for survival." - J. Eric Holmes

Board footera

“Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea”, “AS&SH”, and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ©2016 North Wind Adventures, LLC.