!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/04/2014 5:29 am  #1

General note about Swords and Wizardry creatures in AS&SoH

I was perusing both "Monstrosities" and the S&W version of "Tome of Horrors".  I saw several creatures from those books which would fit well in Hyperborea.  So, both of those books can be a great resource.

However, I did find one caveat. 

In general, Saves in S&W are easier for the monsters to make.  For example, the Frost Giant found in the Monstrosities, S&W Core, and S&W Complete has a save of 5, whereas it has a save of 12 in AS&SoH.  The 6 or 7 monsters I directly compared had varying degrees of difference, but were all lower in the S&W version.  (Gibbering Mouther was 13 in S&W and 15 in AS&SoH, for example.)

So, something to consider when importing monsters from other systems.

Last edited by francisca (6/04/2014 5:30 am)

6/04/2014 7:27 am  #2

Re: General note about Swords and Wizardry creatures in AS&SoH

Saves in AS&SH calculate directly from FA, right? Start at 16 and then -1 for each odd hit die (or -1 every other HD)? So they should be relatively easy to do on the fly (he says not knowing much of anything about S&W).

6/04/2014 10:41 am  #3

Saving throws in AS&SH are derived from hit dice.  Under 1 HD is 17, and it goes down in steps of two after that: 1-2 HD is 16, 3-4 HD is 15, etc.  Calculating them for new monsters is easy.  Or you could just use the better ones from S&W for those monsters.  Unless I accidentally wandered onto a 3rd edition forum, there's no reason that ungodly abominations have to be consistent.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/04/2014 12:29 pm  #4

Blackadder23 wrote:

Saving throws in AS&SH are derived from hit dice.  Under 1 HD is 17, and it goes down in steps of two after that: 1-2 HD is 16, 3-4 HD is 15, etc.  Calculating them for new monsters is easy.  Or you could just use the better ones from S&W for those monsters.  Unless I accidentally wandered onto a 3rd edition forum, there's no reason that ungodly abominations have to be consistent.

Look, I said it was something to consider, not "done wrong" or that better consistency was needed between the two systems.

6/04/2014 3:10 pm  #5

That's cool.  It's easy enough to fix.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.