!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/01/2017 11:28 pm  #1

Penny Dreadful

This was a recent Showtime series.  I just finished it up on Netflix.  It's a mash-up of different weird/horror fantasy characters woven together in to a common story arc.  Vampires, witches, Frankenstein and Dorian Gray to name just a few pieces without spoiling anything.  Yes, League of Extraordinary Gentleman pulled a lot of these things together but I would say this is better.

It isn't perfect, it is weird.  My wife dislikes scary stuff but even she got invested in to the story/characters.  There were parts where things got so weird she looked at me and said, "Really!?"  

1/02/2017 7:53 am  #2

Re: Penny Dreadful

I found it to be an excellent series, though wished there were further seasons to tell stories involving the several characters that were built up before the end.  Now that I've seen it episodically, I look forward to obtaining the final third season blu-rays, then binge watching it.  Eva Green was born to play Vanessa Ives.  Nice variations on well-worn themes.  Looking forward to receiving my Leagues of Gothic Horror rpg books. 

1/03/2017 4:07 pm  #3

I thought it was pretty good. It made me laugh to see how peevish and surly Eva Green always looked. Not every actress can pull that off (being French probably helps).

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

1/03/2017 7:11 pm  #4

Yeah, it was fun. It worked that they just grabbed any monster trope they felt like that seemed kind of Victorian and just threw it in the mix!

3/10/2017 5:00 pm  #5

I have enjoyed it thus far. I'm about halfway through season 3. Hope to finish it up this weekend.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.