!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/14/2016 10:12 am  #1

What Are You Playing: Discussion

Nice polls, DMP! I went ahead and answered based on the highest level attained for each class in our game. After 2 TPKs and some player churn, the longest-surviving characters are now 5th level. We have never had anyone higher. They are joined by a bunch of aspirational first-level characters at this point, having lost 2nd- and 3rd-level people to Port Greeley. It's taken just over a year for those two characters to reach 5th level. Many, many 1st-lvl. characters have died in the interim. So my numbers are going to skew your results really low.

Maybe this thread can be used in case anyone else wants to contextualize the raw numbers.

12/14/2016 2:17 pm  #2

Re: What Are You Playing: Discussion

Damn, who had the 7th-lvl. warlock?

12/14/2016 3:11 pm  #3

I'm also secretly hoping that it turns out that no one has played a paladin. Ever.

In our game, BigPerm won't allow 'em in the party. Rather, he's promised that his magician will just kill any that join.

I kick around the idea of coming up with paladin equivalents for each of the Hyperborean gods rather than the paladin as written.

12/15/2016 6:55 am  #4

I've answered in almost every category (except illusionist!) and we've also had some of the newer classes, too. Of course, my campaign has been live since 2009 and we have multiple parties of characters running about the realm, so no one is over 8th level at this point. I've been told I'm stingy with XP. I bet Handy is stingier. ;)

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

12/15/2016 8:28 am  #5

Ghul wrote:

I've answered in almost every category (except illusionist!) and we've also had some of the newer classes, too. Of course, my campaign has been live since 2009 and we have multiple parties of characters running about the realm, so no one is over 8th level at this point. I've been told I'm stingy with XP. I bet Handy is stingier. ;)

I give them everything they deserve. Everything.

12/15/2016 9:00 am  #6

From the Priest thread:

Blackadder23 wrote:

Haven't had one.  I think anyone who wants to play this type of character plays a cleric, and gets the good arms and armor.

Definitely. This seems like an NPC-only class in our game. Esp. since unless the player is a really strong role-player and can embrace whatever insane alien god s/he has chosen, the priest is just going to end up a healporium for the rest of the party without being able to do much more.

12/15/2016 10:25 am  #7

We saw the highest levels a few years ago in our G+ Khromarium Campaign with Barbarian, Berzerker and Warlock. No one has ever even remotely considered playing the Priest (sorry Jeff!).

"Chainsaw's Khromarium Campaign Journal" wrote:

AS&SH Campaign Session 11 (Feb. 16 2015)

cadam11 – Gadas the Kimmerian warlock (level 4) - throat slit
capitalbill – Gunnr the Viking berserker (level 4) - crushed by tentacles
ligedog – Brandoch the Kimmeri-Kelt barbarian (level 4) - gunned down
rob – Marl the Magnanimous, Kelt legerdemainist (level 2) - gunned down

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

12/15/2016 10:38 am  #8

I probably represent the Anti-Handy..... We have played for a little over four years and I am fairly generous with xp. I enjoy seeing the characters get to retirement (if they survive) and use some of those skills and spells,they get at the higher levels.

Though officially there have been no retirements. We're planning on a campaign re-start when the new books come out.

I know, I know I'm too soft.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

12/15/2016 2:15 pm  #9

In my current ASSH campaign (on roll20) I think the current batch that is about all 3rd level got that way mostly from treasure. The megadungeon they are crawling about I haven't purposefully stocked so I just do ye olde random treasure roll.  So basically in the last 5 sessions they got most of the XP to get from middle 1st to 3rd.

Of course, I don't soak them as hard as 1e because the training costs are cheaper in ASSH. I'm fine with that, they haven't found too much magic.

What? Me worry?

12/15/2016 2:31 pm  #10

Chainsaw wrote:

We saw the highest levels a few years ago in our G+ Khromarium Campaign with Barbarian, Berzerker and Warlock. No one has ever even remotely considered playing the Priest (sorry Jeff!).

Oh, yeah! I remember your updates on that game. To those who know him, "crushed by tentacles" seemed so obvious in retrospect.

mabon5127 wrote:

I probably represent the Anti-Handy..... We have played for a little over four years and I am fairly generous with xp. I enjoy seeing the characters get to retirement (if they survive) and use some of those skills and spells,they get at the higher levels.

Though officially there have been no retirements. We're planning on a campaign re-start when the new books come out.

I *knew* the Anti-Handy would arise in the East!

12/15/2016 3:11 pm  #11

Chainsaw wrote:

We've had a priest since the first evening.  He would be higher level but his work schedule keeps him to less than active duty.  The Priest gets lots of spells but that demon wrack needs to start at a lower level......or they should maybe turn undead at 2 levels higher or both.  I know, house rule it!

While in my soul forever

12/15/2016 3:12 pm  #12

Handy Haversack wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

Oh, yeah! I remember your updates on that game. To those who know him, "crushed by tentacles" seemed so obvious in retrospect.

mabon5127 wrote:

I *knew* the Anti-Handy would arise in the East!

Proud to serve the cause!

While in my soul forever

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.