!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/11/2016 7:10 pm  #41

Re: Gary Con IX (2017)

Ghul wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

@Ghul - any format for event titles you would recommend? In the past, I have seen you use the following format (example below).

HYPERBOREA: [event title]
HYPERBOREA: The Strange Tale of Crystal Point

Yes, sir, that's exactly what I'd like to see. That format will then grab the eyes of folks who are looking for Hyperborea events as they thumb through the print catalog.

Thanks!

Turns out I will need to re-write my summaries, as they're all a little more than 400 characters long. So, it'll be a few more days.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

9/11/2016 8:33 pm  #42

Events Posted!

A Night at the Ptarmigan: Thursday 10am and Friday 10am
That Which is Old is New Again: Thursday 6pm and Friday 6pm

Characters are at 95% complete and adventures about 50%.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

9/11/2016 9:37 pm  #43

You all are on it!  I got my new adventure all mapped out but still trying to think of a good title.

On another (related) subject is there a good 1 or 2 page handout explaining/introducing  Hyperborea?  I'd love to be able to hand out something to people in convention games.

9/12/2016 10:25 am  #44

lige wrote:

You all are on it! I got my new adventure all mapped out but still trying to think of a good title.

On another (related) subject is there a good 1 or 2 page handout explaining/introducing Hyperborea? I'd love to be able to hand out something to people in convention games.

That's a good idea, and something I've been thinking about for a while. Of course, I could populae such a list and it might prove useful, but I also would not want to inhibit fellow referees from presenting their own interpretations of Hyperborea. 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

10/18/2016 9:10 pm  #45

Submitted the following events:

Thurs afternoon (2-6) - Corpse Creek

Fri afternoon (2-6) - Corpse Creek

Sat morning (10-2) - Crystal Point
Thurs evening (8-1) - Foolsgrave

Edit: changed my times so as to have less overlap on the early days (Thurs/Fri)

10/19/2016 10:46 am  #46

Newly Minted Special Guest at Gary Con!! (from the website)

Special Guests Jeffrey P. Talanian

Jeffrey Talanian, designer for North Wind Adventures, started playing Dungeons & Dragons in 1981, and he’s been running heroic campaigns ever since. From 2005 to 2008, Jeff had the opportunity to develop several Castle Zagyg projects under the guidance of his friend and mentor, E. Gary Gygax (R.I.P.). These days, Jeff’s focus is on the RPG he authored, the ENnie nominated Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea (AS&SH). He’s written several critically acclaimed adventures for AS&SH, including “Charnel Crypt of the Sightless Serpent,” “Taken from Dunwich,” “Rats in the Walls,” and “Ghost Ship of the Desert Dunes.” Jeff has also contributed to several magazines, including AFS, Fight On!, Gygax Magazine, and Knockspell. 

While in my soul forever

10/21/2016 3:52 pm  #47

Thanks for pinning that event summary up at the top of the forum section, Chainsaw. Makes it easier for schedule prep.

10/21/2016 3:53 pm  #48

Josh wrote:

Thanks for pinning that event summary up at the top of the forum section, Chainsaw. Makes it easier for schedule prep.

You bet, Josh. I try to have a good idea once a year. Sorry it took so long! 

10/26/2016 6:26 pm  #49

So many games, not enough time. I hope to get in on some of the AS&SH action for sure. Everything I played in last year was an awesome introduction to the system. The best part was chilling with everyone here on this forum, sure to happen again this year. 

Del Teigeler, Illustrator
mavfire.blogspot.com
mavfire.deviantart.com

10/27/2016 12:24 am  #50

Submitted my HYPERBOREA games.  Both sessions will be:

HYPERBOREA: Too Long in the Midnight Sea
Your party has sailed to a tiny island near the Rapids at the End of the World seeking knowledge from a sage.  You arrived to find him murdered and the island rocked by earthquakes.  The island contains a mining colony and an eccentric mansion atop its highest point.  Can you recover your information?  Who killed the sage?  Will the island crumble into the sea before your ship returns?

Friday 4-8
Saturday 2-6

10/27/2016 5:32 am  #51

lige wrote:

Your party has sailed to a tiny island near the Rapids at the End of the World seeking knowledge from a sage.  You arrived to find him murdered and the island rocked by earthquakes.  The island contains a mining colony and an eccentric mansion atop its highest point.  Can you recover your information?  Who killed the sage?  Will the island crumble into the sea before your ship returns?

Friday 4-8
Saturday 2-6

This sounds great, Lige! I'm honored that you would take the time to run  some more AS&SH. Cheers! ~Jeff T.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

10/27/2016 5:38 am  #52

lige wrote:

Friday 4-8
Saturday 2-6

Awesome! Master list updated. I plan to make that Sat 2PM game!

10/27/2016 1:28 pm  #53

Ghul wrote:

That's a good idea, and something I've been thinking about for a while. Of course, I could populae such a list and it might prove useful, but I also would not want to inhibit fellow referees from presenting their own interpretations of Hyperborea. 

I would really appreciate even a ten point list that explains the basics of Hyperborea. My gaming group is in their 20's (I am in my early 40's) and while I would have no problem describing Hyperborea to 0e grognards and fans of pulp weird fiction, I am unable to clearly articulate what makes Hyperborea so awesome and interesting to others. 

Last edited by Brock Savage (10/27/2016 1:29 pm)

10/27/2016 3:04 pm  #54

Brock Savage wrote:

Ghul wrote:

I would really appreciate even a ten point list that explains the basics of Hyperborea. My gaming group is in their 20's (I am in my early 40's) and while I would have no problem describing Hyperborea to 0e grognards and fans of pulp weird fiction, I am unable to clearly articulate what makes Hyperborea so awesome and interesting to others. 

Started a new thread under Hyperborea!

While in my soul forever

10/31/2016 12:36 pm  #55

added three events:

Thursday Noon (10AM alt):
HYPERBOREA: Trouble in Vikland Part 1
Trouble has been brewing in Vikland.  Frost Giants who have not trouble men in ages have been raiding villages, bringing with them Trolls and strange heretofore unknown creatures.  Messengers have been sent far and wide for mighty warriors to investigate and end these incursions, you and the others have come forth to seek glory and fame, and to end this sinister threat.

Friday Noon (10AM alt)
HYPERBOREA: Trouble in Vikland Part 2
After the initial expedition, it was found the Trouble in Vikland was much stranger and horrific than anticipated.  Now is the time to strike, to end the threat to man, before it is too late.  This is a continuation of Part 1 of this adventure, played on Thursday, but playing in the previous adventure is not required.

Saturday Noon (10AM alt):
AS&SH: Late Night at the Electrum Serpent
In the years after the disappearance of Fafhrd and Grey Mouser, Lankhmar became an even tougher place to eek out an existence.  For weeks, an intangible, ominous threat has hung over the city, after rumours that the Guildmaster of the Thieves' Guild was assassinated.  Sell swords, city guards, alley bashers, and cut purses have all assembled in the Electrum Serpent to hear tell of what is going on

Last edited by francisca (10/31/2016 12:36 pm)

10/31/2016 12:44 pm  #56

Nice. I played Trouble in Vikland Part 1 a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. Your newer events sound great too!

11/01/2016 9:40 am  #57

My AS&SH events have been approved. 

Thursday, 8am
Citadel of Fire: Tower Assault
Several of your fellow villagers have been kidnapped and taken into the dungeons below the sinister tower which has been ruled by generations of evil sorcerers. In this first part of a two part scenario, you and some of the stronger, more experienced guardians of your hommlet must infiltrate the tower swarming with the evil wizard’s more powerful minions and apprentices. You must cause enough of a distraction to give the less powerful militia a better chance of survival when they charge the tunnels below to rescue their kin from death or worse. Actions in this this session will impact the second session. Pre-generated characters from 4th-6th level will be provided. Based on Judges Guild #63.

Friday, 8am
Citadel of Fire: Dungeon Infiltration
Several of your fellow villagers have been kidnapped and taken into the dungeons below the sinister tower which has been ruled by generations of evil sorcerers. In this second part of a two part scenario, you and other inexperienced village militia, must infiltrate the dungeon levels of the Citadel to rescue family and friends. Hopefully, your battle-worn allies succeeded in softening the wizard’s more powerful adversaries in the tower above. Actions from the first session will impact this session. Pre-generated 1st level characters will be provided. Based on Judges Guild #63.

11/01/2016 9:45 am  #58

Great! Four hours Bill?

11/01/2016 9:50 am  #59

Chainsaw wrote:

Great! Four hours Bill?

Yes. Each is four hours. I am also running a four hour DCC game on Saturday starting at 8am. I like to start early becasue I am more awake and can hear better.  

11/01/2016 9:59 am  #60

WSmith wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

Great! Four hours Bill?

Yes. Each is four hours. I am also running a four hour DCC game on Saturday starting at 8am. I like to start early becasue I am more awake and can hear better.  

That is a huge benefit, no question. I plan to sign up for both of these games, as they fit with my Thurs/Fri 2PM games nicely. Thanks for creating an early morning option. 

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.