!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/30/2014 7:47 am  #61

Re: The Black Monolith - Verctissa

Handy Haversack wrote:

"And Nikoli? Andra spoke of him. Is he a healer? A holy man of your tribe?"

"Nikoli heals, yes," said Mikael, "But he is a Warder's man and he protects," Mikael smiled, "But today you see, even the Warder cannot always protect. Andra would do better bringing Gregor to the Old Woman, she follows the ways of the ancestors, her and the Woman's Council. Better healers to my mind. And my wife's," he laughed.

3/30/2014 9:52 am  #62

"Can the Old Woman do nothing about Lukaj and the threat he brings against your people?"

3/30/2014 9:57 am  #63

Handy Haversack wrote:

"Can the Old Woman do nothing about Lukaj and the threat he brings against your people?"

"Lujak's magic is unspeakably powerful," said Mikael in a whisper, "Come," he said suddenly rising. "Best we speak of such dark things in the light. If you do not mind we can sit on the east porch where the morning sun will watch over us."

Last edited by JasonZavoda (3/30/2014 9:57 am)

3/30/2014 9:59 am  #64

Yiel and I follow him. Has there been any movement among the Kelts or any specific looks thrown our way?

[Gotta sign off in a few; Ms. Haversack has made plans for us.]

3/30/2014 10:09 am  #65

Handy Haversack wrote:

Yiel and I follow him. Has there been any movement among the Kelts or any specific looks thrown our way?

[Gotta sign off in a few; Ms. Haversack has made plans for us.]

(Nice thing about pbp is that they are play any time)

The Keltoi give Vercitissa several long appraising looks. She sees that four are men and two are women, though all are dressed in thick leather that could serve as armor and their faces are heavily scarred and painted or tattoed with blue and black curves and designs. Vercitissa recgonizes the men's and one of the women's look as heavy with sexual interest though not leers. The seventh man looks at her and Yiel. His face is a mask of white and blue paint or paste but his eyes are black and move from her to Yiel. He wears a cloak made from dark feathers.

3/30/2014 10:10 am  #66

OK, we'll deal with him later after we get some more info about Lukaj and Woman's Council. I'll go outside with Mikael.

3/30/2014 6:48 pm  #67

Handy Haversack wrote:

OK, we'll deal with him later after we get some more info about Lukaj and Woman's Council. I'll go outside with Mikael.

The sun is bright on the east side of the inn. Verctissa can see that the porch continues around to the back. On the lake are several boats making their way back to shore and toward the town she can hear the sound of hammer and saw.

"I would like you to stay at least a day or to as the town's guest in the inn, though for what you did you are welcome here at any time," Mikael told her. "But later I will be calling a meeting of the council and I would like you to speak as well as speak about you to those who did not see you in the street today. I'm sure that Andra will want to speak as well."

3/31/2014 9:19 am  #68

"I thank you. I will pause here, then, in your hospitality. And I look forward to hearing the words of your council. There are mysteries at work.

"Tell me, Mikael, the Kelts within--who are they? There is one bearing designs on his face. What manner of man is he, and what position does he hold in their tribe?"

3/31/2014 10:49 am  #69

Handy Haversack wrote:

"I thank you. I will pause here, then, in your hospitality. And I look forward to hearing the words of your council. There are mysteries at work.

"Tell me, Mikael, the Kelts within--who are they? There is one bearing designs on his face. What manner of man is he, and what position does he hold in their tribe?"

"I thought you were a Keltoi when I saw you," said Mikael. "They came through the mists before my grandfather was born and settled among the plains. We warred a bit at first but they are good allies now and worship the Thunderer, Harvest Mother and Raven King as we do, though not the Warder, the Fox or One-hand, and many of the lesser Gods, and they have more Gods and spirits among them so that the upper worlds must be crowded to bursting. This bunch are warrior-priests of the Pig-Stealer, one of their Gods, but their leader is Avertorix, a shaman and follower of the Raven King. He is probably keeping on eye on your Yiel. Does he have voice? Some do around here and they are the most honored of the Raven King's spies."

3/31/2014 11:13 am  #70

"Yiel speaks with my voice, and I with hers. She is neither servant nor spy. Perhaps I will speak with this Avertorix the shaman and learn of his Raven King. I thank you. Please, tell me when the council meets."

Is the door to the inn open? If so, after Mikael leaves us, Yiel will go in and out, trying to catch the eye of Avertorix and see if that lures him outside to us.

3/31/2014 11:26 am  #71

Handy Haversack wrote:

"Yiel speaks with my voice, and I with hers. She is neither servant nor spy. Perhaps I will speak with this Avertorix the shaman and learn of his Raven King. I thank you. Please, tell me when the council meets."

Is the door to the inn open? If so, after Mikael leaves us, Yiel will go in and out, trying to catch the eye of Avertorix and see if that lures him outside to us.

"The council will meet this evening, but till then you are welcome guest of Ruthan," Mikael says as he rises to go, "I have a room for you, if you like, on the second floor. If I am not at the bar any of my family will show you where you can stay and give you a key. We serve many travelers so it always wise to lock your room or you can leave things with the inn. I saw you walking, if you need a mount ask Andra, we will find you something to ride if you like."

After Mikaal departs Yiel disappears into the inn. Only a few minutes later the shaman Avertorix comes out from the inn. He smiles at Verctissa, strangely friendly on his heavily painted face.

3/31/2014 11:59 am  #72

(Yiel has reemerged too, right?)

"Perhaps, stranger, I have the advantage of you, for the good inkeeper has told me that you are Avertorix, a shamn of the Raven King. Yet perhaps this is why you looked at me as if you knew me, seeing that I travel with Yiel I am Verctissa. I bid you share board and water with me. I would hear more of this Raven King and of the tribes here, for we are travelers."

3/31/2014 1:47 pm  #73

(Give yourself 25xp)

Avertorix laughs, "I can see the form and the spirit, but the Raven form touches on the Raven King's realm and do not be surprised if what she sees is also seen by him. It is a good omen none the less. I looked at both the Raven and the women, you, as you look to be one of the old race who taught and fought my ancestors in the long ago. Only in the crystal fortress can your people be found. In the long ago your people fought the darkness and perished while my ancestors fled and found ourselves in this land. You are a good omen woman of the long ago. The Raven king found us here beneath the new stars and the strange sun our own Gods are weak here and afraid and only the worst such as the Pig-Stealer and his brother have great power. The Raven King has many names, the Father of the Slain, The Swift Rider, The Shouting God, The Entangler with Words, The Shaper of Battle, The Death of Heroes, The Bringer of Runes and Magic... Ha, more names than I can tell you in a day.  He grants heroes a glorious death so he can gather their spirits for his hall. He gathered runes from the well at the root of the world and hanged himself to give them the power of life and taught them to men. He is the Hanged God at that time and those who grant him a quick death are touched with the power of magic and words. Many of the Keltoi no follow the Raven King.

Long Ago Woman, I will tell you, the warrior-priests of the Pig-Stealer are summoned to the north and I walk with them to protect them as best I can, they are my people, and find out what evil is at work among them."

3/31/2014 2:10 pm  #74

"May your Raven King grant your further good omens on your mission, Avertorix. Yiel and I wish well to any who honor the Black Wing and the weaving of fate. And we wish you the speed of your Swift Rider on your mission. Tell me, if you can, what is this evil to the north? Is it aught to do with the sorcerous attack here this afternoon? There are powers at work here I would understand better."

3/31/2014 4:48 pm  #75

Handy Haversack wrote:

"May your Raven King grant your further good omens on your mission, Avertorix. Yiel and I wish well to any who honor the Black Wing and the weaving of fate. And we wish you the speed of your Swift Rider on your mission. Tell me, if you can, what is this evil to the north? Is it aught to do with the sorcerous attack here this afternoon? There are powers at work here I would understand better."

"Perhaps I see the North as the well of all evil when I should see it in all the world," Avertorix told her, "I see today's work as of the North. I will say its truth when I return for I too would understand them better."

3/31/2014 5:10 pm  #76

"Indeed, it seems fell powers are at play. I saw the work of sorcery this day, and I still do not know why its wielder would target this town. But I hope to find out. Perhaps when you return, we will both have learned more about the workings of power here. Mikael has asked me to meet the council here, and I wait for the summons to that. If you wish, wait with me and tell me more of your people. Or if you have duty to the warrior-priests, I understand, and I thank you for your courtesy to a stranger."

3/31/2014 7:51 pm  #77

Handy Haversack wrote:

"Indeed, it seems fell powers are at play. I saw the work of sorcery this day, and I still do not know why its wielder would target this town. But I hope to find out. Perhaps when you return, we will both have learned more about the workings of power here. Mikael has asked me to meet the council here, and I wait for the summons to that. If you wish, wait with me and tell me more of your people. Or if you have duty to the warrior-priests, I understand, and I thank you for your courtesy to a stranger."

"You are most welcome and I wish to meet with you again," said Avertorix," I go when the warrior-priests go. Hopefully when I return they will be with me."  he adds. Avetorix bows and leaves the porch. 

It is still hours before noon and the day is clear and warm.

4/01/2014 7:33 am  #78

Time for a wander, then. I will inform Mikael or some member of his family that I am going to see the town and then follow my feet, unless Yiel spies something interesting.

4/01/2014 7:28 pm  #79

Handy Haversack wrote:

Time for a wander, then. I will inform Mikael or some member of his family that I am going to see the town and then follow my feet, unless Yiel spies something interesting.

The inn is very busy. There is a bit of a hush as Verctissa enters the room but it quickly goes back to the regular noise and bustle. At the bar is an older girl, one of Mikael's daughters, and she repeats the message and assures Verctissa that she will pass it to her father.

Outside the front gates Verctissa can see shops leading east and a road curving around the smithy leading south. The smithy is now shut with a pair of wall-like doors pulled closed. There is a big, barn-sized building next to it that is also shut. 

4/01/2014 7:30 pm  #80

Do either of those roads lead to what might be the docks or shore?

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.