!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/30/2016 12:55 pm  #1

Two-Weapon Combat

Because this comes up a lot, I thought you fellows might find this little table handy:

This table has not been DMP reviewed, so if it contains any errors I am solely to blame! ;)

Cheers,
Jeff T.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

10/01/2016 8:49 am  #2

Re: Two-Weapon Combat

It looks correct to me.

I however have been incorrectly allowing the Str Mod for bonus to hit to be used with two handed weapon use.  Oops.

Should read these rules once in a while.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

10/17/2016 3:47 pm  #3

Hmmm.  So, a character with an 18 strength and 17 dex wielding Wc2/Wc1 would actually attack at -2/-2?  So he'd in effect have an additional -2 to hit?  If that's the case, high strength characters should never dual wield. 

10/17/2016 5:38 pm  #4

JRR wrote:

Hmmm.  So, a character with an 18 strength and 17 dex wielding Wc2/Wc1 would actually attack at -2/-2?  So he'd in effect have an additional -2 to hit?  If that's the case, high strength characters should never dual wield. 

My players who like to dual wield have learned to be tactical, because it's not so cut and dry. When going one on one with a challenging foe, it may not be wise to dual wield, as you suggest, JRR. But, when facing multiple lesser foes, the extra attack, despite the penalties, is often worth it, especially if your group embraces the optional critical hit rules.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

10/18/2016 8:39 am  #5

Ghul wrote:

JRR wrote:

My players who like to dual wield have learned to be tactical, because it's not so cut and dry. When going one on one with a challenging foe, it may not be wise to dual wield, as you suggest, JRR. But, when facing multiple lesser foes, the extra attack, despite the penalties, is often worth it, especially if your group embraces the optional critical hit rules.

Indeed, that's precisely what I did in a recent play-test of The Sea-Wolf's Daughter (coming to a gaming table near you sometime after we finish Second Edition). When faced with a single, powerful opponent, my cataphract wielded his long sword two-handed. Against numerous weak opponents, I thought it more advantageous for him to fight with long sword and dagger and gain an additional attack, penalties notwithstanding.

10/18/2016 9:55 am  #6

As a compromise you could probably house rule the secondary attack (only) would gain no bonus as you are focusing on the primary, thus stronger characters would gain some benefit.

In my campaign the dual wielders are typically the high dexterity non-fighters that use lighter weapons anyway and can minimize the penalty.  They usually have minimal or no positive strength mods so it doesn't come up.

Haven't had a fighter dual wield yet.  I think as they get multiple attacks they value the extra off hand attack less and don't want to use smaller weapons with penalties on each attack.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.