!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/17/2016 12:18 pm  #1

Exploding skull?

There is no duration listed for exploding skull.  Any idea what it should be?  I envision a sorceror having a couple dozen in his knapsack when searched by guards.  

Last edited by JRR (10/17/2016 1:51 pm)

10/17/2016 1:18 pm  #2

Re: Exploding skull?

"On the clean skull of a man or humanoid, the sorcerer places a ward that lasts 1 turn or until touched by another living creature. If the skull is touched by someone other than the caster, or at the end of the spell’s duration in any case, it explodes with waves of negative energy from the Black Gulf."

10/17/2016 1:22 pm  #3

Wow, I read that at least a dozen times and missed the duration.  Thanks. 

Since the damage is negative energy, I assume it won't damage undead?  Could a necromancer send in a horde of skeletons to attack his enemies and then toss a grenade in the midst without harming his minions?

10/17/2016 5:53 pm  #4

JRR wrote:

Wow, I read that at least a dozen times and missed the duration.  Thanks. 

Since the damage is negative energy, I assume it won't damage undead?  Could a necromancer send in a horde of skeletons to attack his enemies and then toss a grenade in the midst without harming his minions?

I don't believe it is explicitly stated in the rules, because we don't get into the Positive and Negative Material Planes in AS&SH, but I would probably allow what you are suggesting. It sounds like a great tactical decision! 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

10/21/2016 7:32 am  #5

Could the necromancer cast it on the skulls of his skeleton minions? Sounds like a big yes--as long as they're clean!

And, frankly, if you're tramping about with dirty skeleton minions, you don't deserve the title necromancer. Stay out of Scythium, deadbeat! Keep your ugly Pictish goldbricking ass out of my dread and fell beach community!

10/21/2016 8:39 am  #6

Handy Haversack wrote:

Could the necromancer cast it on the skulls of his skeleton minions? Sounds like a big yes--as long as they're clean!

And, frankly, if you're tramping about with dirty skeleton minions, you don't deserve the title necromancer. Stay out of Scythium, deadbeat! Keep your ugly Pictish goldbricking ass out of my dread and fell beach community!

but...how does one polish a zombie?

What? Me worry?

10/21/2016 8:50 am  #7

I think the second-edition book has rules for it.

9/21/2017 11:57 am  #8

I can envisage a billboard in downtown Kromarium:

Zor'Thax's Zombie Polish!
....for the discerning Necromancer!

9/21/2017 8:30 pm  #9

Yes but, the copper-pinching necromancers in outlying areas know that they can get an equally exquisite sheen using the much cheaper Saex Wax, normally promoted for use on long boards swords.

"I, Satampra Zeiros of Uzuldaroum, shall write with my left hand, since I have no longer any other, the tale of everything that befell Tirouv Ompallios and myself in the shrine of the god Tsathoggua..."

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.