!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/15/2016 7:22 am  #301

Re: AS&SH 2nd Print?

grodog wrote:

Good news, all-around, Jeff!  Thanks for the peek behind the scenes!

By bringing in a new cartographer, will the new map also be rendered in a new style, and perhaps on heavier paper stock?  While I do like the old Cook Expert set mapping symbols for their spare and austere look, I would prefer a more artistic presentation of the Hyperborean world, if possible:  something gorgeous, but still useful at the gaming table. 

I hope it'll still be hex-gridded too?  Or perhaps double-sided, one side in gorgeous hex-gridded glory, the other in a more artistic view that might reflect how the natives view their own world?----something akin to Kij Johnson's new map @ http://www.tor.com/2016/08/02/mapping-the-dreamlands-of-kij-johnsons-the-dream-quest-of-vellitt-boe/ or Jason Thompson's @ https://store.mockman.com/products/dreamland-poster-24x36

Anyway, just thinking aloud.  Thanks Jeff :D

Allan.

Those are some interesting maps, Allan, especially the first one. The new map has been hand drawn by Glynn Seal. Pencils, inks, and colored pencils. It is artistic and yet it loosely conforms to hexes. It represents a significant departure from the original B&W digital map, and yet it remains very game table friendly. I've been agonizingly picky and specific with the presentation, and I could not have collaborated with a more patient artist than Mr. Seal.

The paper stock is going to be very fine quality. I have taken a different course of action in this instance, too, working with a company that specializes in maps and cartography. That is all they do, in fact. They produce maps for some major publications and government agencies, creating durable "trail-map" productions that are intended to withstand wear and tear. I think you're going to like it.  

I look forward to sharing all this with everyone soon!  

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

8/15/2016 7:34 am  #302

Man Jeff, this is all sounding more awesome by the post...

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

8/15/2016 7:39 am  #303

rhialto wrote:

Man Jeff, this is all sounding more awesome by the post...

Glad to hear it!

"Trail map" quality is mostly intended for Handy, because he once told me that he needed a good map for his journey to Greenland (and beyond!) in search of Hyperborea. Let us wish him the best of luck. Godspeed, Handy Haversack!

8/22/2016 8:12 am  #304

Ghul, would a small example of the warfare rating calculation be too much too add to the 2nd printing?

What? Me worry?

8/22/2016 2:15 pm  #305

gizmomathboy wrote:

Ghul, would a small example of the warfare rating calculation be too much too add to the 2nd printing?

I'm not the boss, of course, but for what are you looking, gizmo? Something more comprehensive than the individual examples we included in each step on pp. 243 & 245?

8/23/2016 9:16 am  #306

DMPrata wrote:

gizmomathboy wrote:

I'm not the boss, of course, but for what are you looking, gizmo? Something more comprehensive than the individual examples we included in each step on pp. 243 & 245?

Hmmm...I might have scanned those paged too fast. Lemme take a closer look and cogitate on it a bit.

What? Me worry?

10/08/2016 8:23 am  #307

Hello folks,

My first post, I'm a fresh wanderer in Hyperborea!

I wanted to ask if the black and white character class portraits by Baggley as featured on the 'about' page of this site are going to be present in the 2nd Edition? I'm very fond of them!

Looking forward to the kickstarter!

10/08/2016 10:21 am  #308

AxBattler wrote:

Welcome!

AxBattler wrote:

I wanted to ask if the black and white character class portraits by Baggley as featured on the 'about' page of this site are going to be present in the 2nd Edition? I'm very fond of them!

I think he intends to keep the vast majority of the art from the 1st Edition, including the class portraits, while adding a bunch from the new artists, including those who have contributed to the last four modules.

AxBattler wrote:

Looking forward to the kickstarter

Me too! Less than two weeks!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

10/08/2016 12:04 pm  #309

Chainsaw wrote:

AxBattler wrote:

Welcome!

AxBattler wrote:

I think he intends to keep the vast majority of the art from the 1st Edition, including the class portraits, while adding a bunch from the new artists, including those who have contributed to the last four modules.

AxBattler wrote:

Looking forward to the kickstarter

Me too! Less than two weeks!

Thanks Chainsaw!

10/08/2016 3:44 pm  #310

AxBattler wrote:

Thanks Chainsaw!

Happy to help!

10/08/2016 9:24 pm  #311

Chainsaw wrote:

AxBattler wrote:

Welcome!

AxBattler wrote:

Actually, I believe all the character portraits will be redone. We're introducing four new subclasses in 2nd Edition, which will have portraits drawn by one of the new artists. (I forget whom.) Rather than having 22 portraits in one style and 4 in a different style, the same artist will present original portraits for all 26 classes.

10/08/2016 9:50 pm  #312

No, it's more of a mix and match approach in which every character class will now have two illustrations associated with it. Each will be presented by a different pairing; Bingham and Teigeler are being introduced, and we are retaining most of the Baggley class pictures.

So, for each of the character classes, you will see the following artist combinations:

- Baggley / Bingham
- Baggley / Teigeler
- Bingham / Teigeler

Three artists, three distinct styles. It's going to be excellent. 

10/08/2016 9:54 pm  #313

Even better!

10/09/2016 7:38 am  #314

Ghul wrote:

No, it's more of a mix and match approach in which every character class will now have two illustrations associated with it. Each will be presented by a different pairing; Bingham and Teigeler are being introduced, and we are retaining most of the Baggley class pictures.

So, for each of the character classes, you will see the following artist combinations:

- Baggley / Bingham
- Baggley / Teigeler
- Bingham / Teigeler

Three artists, three distinct styles. It's going to be excellent. 

Awesome. Thanks for the info! 21st is marked on my calendar now

10/15/2016 5:36 pm  #315

Those I have seen so far are bad ass... but I may be biased! I'll go on record as saying I am glad the decision was made to keep the original artwork by Ian for the second edition! It will be a nice transition in the book, some old some new, Bingham, Semeiks, Sholtis, Nicholson... it's going o be amazing!

Del Teigeler, Illustrator
mavfire.blogspot.com
mavfire.deviantart.com

11/22/2016 11:10 am  #316

Probably too late in the game for this, but I have often toyed with the idea of giving all (or most; or some) monsters the +2 SV bonus for two types of saving throw as classed humans get. Usually this is avoidance and either transformation or poison. I use this for all monsters that I create, though I generally have forgotten about it in the breach for monsters out of the book.

12/08/2016 10:27 am  #317

I keep thinking of these matters late in the game, but:

There are a lot of items on the equipment list whose description and weight don't quite match up. As an example, p. 90, last line: Wine (qt.) . . . 1 lb. Now, I might not be a fancy big-city wine drinker, but where I come from, it's two pints to the quart and a pint's a pound the world around. So I'm going out on a limb and saying a quart of wine should maybe go ahead and weigh *2* lbs. Same with quarts of grease and glue.

Maybe there's some sort of reverse-AD&D-encumbrance-rationalization-type dealy going on. Maybe I need more wine, grease, and glue. Or maybe, just maybe--I've saved us all!

12/08/2016 2:36 pm  #318

It's never too late to nit pick.
I'm pretty sure I saw Jeff say on one forum or another that he was going to fix the wine thing.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

12/08/2016 2:39 pm  #319

Handy Haversack wrote:

Probably too late in the game for this, but I have often toyed with the idea of giving all (or most; or some) monsters the +2 SV bonus for two types of saving throw as classed humans get. Usually this is avoidance and either transformation or poison. I use this for all monsters that I create, though I generally have forgotten about it in the breach for monsters out of the book.

I think a simple way to do this would be to give all monsters the fighter bonuses unless they have levels in some other class (as snake-men and the like usually will), in which case they get the bonuses from that class instead.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

12/08/2016 4:20 pm  #320

Blackadder23 wrote:

Handy Haversack wrote:

I think a simple way to do this would be to give all monsters the fighter bonuses unless they have levels in some other class (as snake-men and the like usually will), in which case they get the bonuses from that class instead.

Fighters get Death and Transformation bonuses. That makes sense to me as a catch-all.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.