!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/20/2016 9:22 am  #41

Re: Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea 2nd Edition

francisca wrote:

Ghul wrote:

There are many unlabeled islands, towns, and so forth, as we maintain the philosophy of allowing fellow referees to develop Hyperborea to suit the needs of their own campaigns.

I can not begin to express to you how important this way of thinking is to me as a consumer.

I appreciate that you said that, Rich, because sometimes I can't help but wonder if it could be perceived as lazy design.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

9/20/2016 12:36 pm  #42

Ghul wrote:

francisca wrote:

Ghul wrote:

There are many unlabeled islands, towns, and so forth, as we maintain the philosophy of allowing fellow referees to develop Hyperborea to suit the needs of their own campaigns.

I can not begin to express to you how important this way of thinking is to me as a consumer.

I appreciate that you said that, Rich, because sometimes I can't help but wonder if it could be perceived as lazy design.

It's a shame that your wondering even has to be a consideration because that would not have been the case until after 1985 when many published campaign settings embarked on their mission to leave no stones unturned.

Psalm 73:26 | "Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books." -- E. Gary Gygax
"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

9/20/2016 3:15 pm  #43

I agree that a sparsely defined world is the best.

Give a solid outline, some exemplars of setting, and let the world unwind as it's played.

What? Me worry?

9/20/2016 7:11 pm  #44

John Binghams werewolf transition is very impressive. A little new-school layout with old-school art thrown in. God I miss comic books....I stopped collecting when I felt there was too much REAL politics in them. Maybe its a good time to start collecting the old Marvel conan zines again!...damn there goes my wallet screaming again! 

Del Teigeler, Illustrator
mavfire.blogspot.com
mavfire.deviantart.com

9/22/2016 8:46 am  #45

Super psyched! This is great news. I will spread the word.

9/23/2016 8:36 am  #46

I think the art in the current edition of AS&SH is perfect.  Please do not veer too far from it.  That asked, Do What Thou Wilt!

Please make available a high-res printable digital version of the map.  I loath folds in maps.  Must print large version that I may have laminated for wall mounting and dry-erase annotating.  My printer would rather print in shop so he does not risk destroying/damaging the original during the lamination process.

I am SO looking forward to this new edition!

9/23/2016 10:06 am  #47

ThornPlutonius wrote:

I think the art in the current edition of AS&SH is perfect.  Please do not veer too far from it.  That asked, Do What Thou Wilt!

Please make available a high-res printable digital version of the map.  I loath folds in maps.  Must print large version that I may have laminated for wall mounting and dry-erase annotating.  My printer would rather print in shop so he does not risk destroying/damaging the original during the lamination process.

I read somewhere that there will be rolled maps as add-ons.  Not sure what they will cost but it may save the ink.  Jeff is showing some new art so he may address that.

Morgan

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

9/23/2016 1:24 pm  #48

ThornPlutonius wrote:

The bulk of that art will remain, enhanced by over 200 new pieces of art.

I will not be making a high-res printable digital version of the map, but I will be selling unfolded, rolled-up versions of the map in 32 x 40-inch size. This you can have laminated. I will also be offering a high-end canvas version of the map, which you might mount of punch with grommet holes (whatever you choose). 

Thank you! I'm delighted to hear it.

9/23/2016 4:36 pm  #49

Ghul wrote:

I will not be making a high-res printable digital version of the map, but I will be selling unfolded, rolled-up versions of the map in 32 x 40-inch size. This you can have laminated. I will also be offering a high-end canvas version of the map, which you might mount of punch with grommet holes (whatever you choose).

I can understand your not selling a digital version of the map.  I will, of course, make do with the options that you have chosen.

9/23/2016 7:10 pm  #50

ThornPlutonius wrote:

Ghul wrote:

I can understand your not selling a digital version of the map.  I will, of course, make do with the options that you have chosen.

Oh, we'll have a digital version included with the PDF purchase of the game, but it won't be the two gigabyte beast that will be our print version of the file; it'll be a low res version great for iPads and tablets, etc. 

9/23/2016 10:35 pm  #51

Man, I'm psyched for this one! Especially watching what Daisey has been doing on Val's work. This is going to be one sweet looking game! Now, I just need to have a Garycon deep south or something ​. Well, I'd better get back to the drawing board. Thanks for the kind words gang!

9/24/2016 7:14 am  #52

I first chanced upon the work of Del Teigeler at Google+. Impressed by his style, detail, and eye for composition, I asked him to illustrate a series of dinosaurs for Joseph Salvador's AS&SH module, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess. Well, before you knew it, Del got involved with other releases at that time, including Ben Ball's Beneath the Comet, and my own Ghost Ship of the Desert Dunes. Months later, I asked him to be a feature artist for The Mystery at Port Greely. Del kept getting better and better, so it was without hesitation that I asked him to join us in the development of AS&SH 2nd Edition. Since that time he's been quietly finishing piece after piece, his work more impressive each time. The following illustration features a new subclass of the fighter called the HUNTSMAN.

9/24/2016 7:32 am  #53

Wow!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

9/24/2016 10:30 am  #54

This is going to be a great book.

9/24/2016 10:50 am  #55

Very nice!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

9/25/2016 4:04 am  #56

francisca wrote:

Ghul wrote:

​Absolutely!  AS&SH pulls off the difficult trick of giving enough background to make for an atmospheric setting whilst at the same time providing enough space to let the DM populate the 'world' freely.

​Splendid update to the map BTW.

9/25/2016 8:29 am  #57

Ghul wrote:

You can go ahead and put me down for one of each format.  I love maps.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

9/26/2016 12:07 am  #58

Just heard about the 2nd edition of AS&H and have to say that I am ecstatic about the prospect of owning this. Even now I'm trying to work out how to get the money ready to pledge as soon as the Kickstarter goes live!

9/26/2016 11:04 am  #59

Doctor_Rob wrote:

​Absolutely!  AS&SH pulls off the difficult trick of giving enough background to make for an atmospheric setting whilst at the same time providing enough space to let the DM populate the 'world' freely.

Yup.  Just like the Greyhawk Folio.

Yeah, I said it.

9/27/2016 10:48 am  #60

Thoughts on cover art? My hope if for something with less 'cheese cake' as I monitor rpg stuff and manga, etc., for my teen age boys. Either way, I'll probably back this, as I love the setting and the AD&D "purification" of the rules.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.