!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/28/2016 1:30 pm  #1

House Rules past Level 12

Anyone have house rules for adventuring past level 12?  Some classes would reach level 12 a lot faster than others and was wondering how you handle that (if you have gotten that far)?

I can see easily saying every X amount of exp (based on the level 8 exp requirements) the player gets set amount of extra hp's (based on what they got past level 9) as an easy rule so players don't feel like they aren't advancing any further.  Anything else anyone may be using?

8/28/2016 1:48 pm  #2

Re: House Rules past Level 12

I'm not sure I'd ever need rules for such high level characters, but I'm actually rather happy with setting a hard cap for advancement as far as levels go. What characters can do to gain more power is seeking powerful artefacts, establishing their own dominions, contacting daemons and outer space patrons to make Faustian pacts, etc.

8/28/2016 3:52 pm  #3

Ynas Midgard wrote:

I'm not sure I'd ever need rules for such high level characters, but I'm actually rather happy with setting a hard cap for advancement as far as levels go. What characters can do to gain more power is seeking powerful artefacts, establishing their own dominions, contacting daemons and outer space patrons to make Faustian pacts, etc.

Agreed.  We are coming up on 4 years and the highest level is 8th. They will probably retire well before we reach 10th....

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

8/29/2016 12:47 pm  #4

nethru wrote:

Anyone have house rules for adventuring past level 12?  Some classes would reach level 12 a lot faster than others and was wondering how you handle that (if you have gotten that far)?

Have not had a campaign run that high yet, so I haven't really considered it.

nethru wrote:

I can see easily saying every X amount of exp (based on the level 8 exp requirements) the player gets set amount of extra hp's (based on what they got past level 9) as an easy rule so players don't feel like they aren't advancing any further.

Sounds pretty reasonable.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

8/29/2016 3:12 pm  #5

I think this is more of a hypothetical than a real problem for most of us.  Unfortunately.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

8/31/2016 12:52 pm  #6

Level advancement is really quite slow in AD&D and their allied retroclones, and I personally like a level cap. However, I agree that that pushing this cap does open interesting gaming possibilities involving sinister demonic pacts and similar....  One can presumably game this easily enough with reference to OSRIC.

9/23/2018 11:47 am  #7

Considering one level from one to six could be equal to one year of life, and one level from seven to twelve could be two years each... 12 level as an adventurer, starting at 15yo, and you'll be an old and seasoned legend at 33yo, with a life span of 45 years?

9/23/2018 12:30 pm  #8

In my experience, most characters die or retire well before 10th.

9/23/2018 8:18 pm  #9

achiriaco wrote:

Also, frankly I find most players tire well before 10th.

9/23/2018 8:58 pm  #10

Iron Ranger wrote:

achiriaco wrote:

Also, frankly I find most players tire well before 10th.

Or get TPK'd

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.