!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/04/2016 2:52 pm  #1

Ideas for a minimalist setting primer?

Now that I know my new group wants to carry forward with an actual campaign I plan to write up a brief setting primer for them. Something that includes some basics that most PC's would know about the world without going into to much depth.

What would you consider essential for such a thing? 

So far I plan on including;
* Measurements of time, important holidays
* A sketch history

But other than that for some reason I'm drawing a real blank here. 

8/05/2016 5:11 am  #2

Re: Ideas for a minimalist setting primer?

- Flat Earth setting: sea spills off the edge to infinity
- Centre of realm is north 
- Swords and Sorcery: races of humanity; no fantasy races (elves, hobbits, etc.)
- Sun is a red giant, old and bloated; it never rises to a zenith; rather, it skirts the horizon
- Two moon: both oblong; one larger and slower to revolve; one smaller and quick to revolve
- The Green Death wiped out most of humanity about 1,000 years ago

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

8/05/2016 8:47 am  #3

This topic actually really helps me improve how to introduce the setting quickly when I run games at conventions. Thanks!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

8/09/2016 1:31 pm  #4

Chainsaw wrote:

This topic actually really helps me improve how to introduce the setting quickly when I run games at conventions. Thanks!

After you write up that one page player intro for cons I'd be glad to steal it from you!!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.