!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/08/2016 10:22 am  #1

NTRPG Con IX (2017)

NTRPG Con IX's scheduled for June 1-4, 2017 at the Westin in Irving, TX, right near the Dallas/Fort Worth Intl Airport. Hope to see everyone there!

NTRPG Con Homepage

Westin Room Block Link

Already reserved my room - arriving Weds afternoon, leaving Sunday morning.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

10/25/2016 7:42 pm  #2

Re: NTRPG Con IX (2017)

Convention registration and event submission now open. Doug explains an important difference in this year's event registration below. If I'm reading it correctly, half the seats at any event submitted will be available for early event registration starting Nov. 1 for anyone who wants to pay an extra $5 to guarantee a spot. The remainder become available for free (with a regular convention registration) at midnight Central on April 15 (meaning you stay up late on evening of April 14).

"Doug" wrote:

I have decided to open the Event Ticket purchases on November 1st. Meaning even if there are only 5 events on that day, 1/2 of all seats for those events will be available at $5.00/each. As new events are submitted and approved, they will be on the list that day... so events will be added as soon as approved meaning the ability to buy a seat will be available immediately. Any seats not purchased by March 30, will be free along with the other 1/2 on April 15th. So please start submitting your events. I am working to get hotel room layouts done so I can post them.

4/06/2017 10:35 am  #3

Reminder - Registration opens a 12AM Central (1AM Eastern) on April 15, meaning you stay up late the evening of April 14, then pick events at 12AM Central (1AM Eastern). Summary of AS&SH offerings below. I'm sensing lots of mayhem and madness - should be fun!

Thursday
12PM-6PM - Foolsgrave (chainsaw)
8PM-1AM - The Beasts of Kraggoth Manor (Ghul)

Friday
12PM-6PM - Crash at Corpse Creek (chainsaw)
7PM-1AM - The Strange Tale of Crystal Point (chainsaw)
8PM-1AM - The Anthropophagi of Xamboola (Ghul)

Saturday
12PM-6PM - Crash at Corpse Creek (chainsaw)
7PM-1AM - Foolsgrave (chainsaw)
8PM-1AM - The Saga of the Sea-Wolf (Ghul)

Event Descriptions
The Anthropophagi of Xamboola (Ghul, Fri 8PM-1AM). Visitors to the desert-city of Xamboola beware! Demoniacal cachinnations and dull totemic drumbeats sound nocturnal from the outskirts of the city. Vile shrieks echo the nightmarish noises, making even those of heroic aspect shudder in repulsion. Residents do not tarry at sundown, locking themselves in their homes—for something sinister lingers in the black of night. Whisperings and warnings intimate that guests residing at the inn of Aramis D’Athak often disappear at night, never to be seen or heard of again. Where they disappear is not known, nor do the people of Xamboola speak of the hellish noises that darken their oasis city in the gloom of night.

The Beasts of Kraggoth Manor (Ghul, Thurs 8PM-1AM). Travelling to the hills north of Khromarium, seeking sanctuary beyond the Lug Wasteland, the party hears word of a place for respite, a small estate known as Kraggoth Manor which had recently been used as a settlement for a band of pictish adventurers. Yet when they arrive at the shattered walls outside the boarded-up house, the PCs find Kraggoth Manor under siege by a tribe of vicious mountain apes. To gain access to the house, and finally feel the warm comfort of a hearth, the party will have to assist the trapped picts against the mountain apes and their unholy shaman leader. Unfortunately for the PCs, the secrets inside Kraggoth Manor may prove far more dangerous than the beasts outside.

Crash at Corpse Creek (chainsaw, Fri/Sat 12PM-6PM). A strange object has fallen from the stars, crashing into the cold, haunted swamp of Corpse Creek. Several curious trappers from a nearby camp went to investigate, but none have returned. The remainder have hired your group to explore the site and find their friends, but they warn you that Corpse Creek teems with the living dead and that its giant bugs have awakened early from their winter freeze, including some strange varieties never seen before in Hyperborea. A site-based adventure for 4-6 player characters of levels 3-5.

Foolsgrave (chainsaw, Thurs 12PM-6PM, Sat 7PM+). Khromarium's mysterious spiraling towers of black gneiss predate the city itself, an ever-present reminder of how weird and alien things once ruled Hyperborea. During the Festival of Plutonia, a sombre commemoration of death, darkness and the all-consuming void, one such tower's impenetrable doors slowly creaked open, admitting anyone brave enough to descend into its depths. Many have entered, but few have returned - some with wealth overflowing, others simply mad, drooling and babbling. Locals now refer to the labyrinth as Foolsgrave. A megadungeon crawl for 6-8 player characters of levels 1-5.

The Saga of the Sea-Wolf (Ghul, Sat 8PM-1AM). The player characters dine in the hall of a petty kinglet known as Björn Blackbeard. He has abducted Gunnhildr, the daughter of Ragnarr “The Sea-Wolf” (a Viking chieftain), and he intends to marry her. The young woman is somewhere in Blackbeard’s stronghold in Brigand’s Bay. She must be rescued. Meantime, some 40 bloodthirsty Vikings -- including Ragnarr himself -- lie in wait, hidden in a nearby gulch.

The Strange Tale of Crystal Point (chainsaw, Fri 7PM+). In the far reaches of Hyperborea's Crab Archipelago, lies a small, mountainous island known as Crystal Point. Passing sailors have recently seen a crimson glow in Crystal Point's waters, beams of reddish-brown light shining up from its steep cliffs and frequent lightning storms overhead. One famous sage believes Crystal Point may hold the ruins of a lost Atlantean colony - and its secrets! Eager for adventure and treasure, you agreed to explore the island and, after a long journey, have finally set foot on its rocky beach. A site-based adventure for 4-6 player characters of levels 7-9.

5/26/2017 2:24 pm  #4

Looking forward to this con, starting Wednesday, May 31. Anyone else going?

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

5/27/2017 6:26 am  #5

Ghul wrote:

Me! Super excited. Work's been grueling over the past six week, so I'm really looking forward to this convention.

5/27/2017 9:15 am  #6

Chainsaw wrote:

Ghul wrote:

Me! Super excited. Work's been grueling over the past six week, so I'm really looking forward to this convention.

I hope the con proves to be a fun, relaxing diversion, chainsaw!

5/27/2017 10:49 am  #7

Man, one of these years the stars will align just so...

I need to do Garycon too.

"I, Satampra Zeiros of Uzuldaroum, shall write with my left hand, since I have no longer any other, the tale of everything that befell Tirouv Ompallios and myself in the shrine of the god Tsathoggua..."

6/05/2017 5:51 am  #8

Great time! I will post some pics and comments in a few days. 

6/05/2017 7:37 am  #9

foxroe wrote:

I need to do Garycon too.

Best. Con. Ever. 

Last edited by Ar'Pharazon (6/05/2017 7:38 am)

6/05/2017 2:32 pm  #10

Awesome time in Texas, as always! Wish you could all be there.

Ghul running AS&SH (Saga of the Sea Wolf)

Ghul running AS&SH (Moss Hag of Lug)

Welleran running 1E

tacojohn running 1E

tacojohn running 1E, welleran's bro giving the K&KA salute

austinjimm running OE

austinjimm running the kids game

Jason Hobbs running DCC

Bill Barsh running 1E

K&KA Social! Two dungeon masters managing a crowd of 20+ drinking free beer in a fun house from hell where my PC eventually reveals himself as their enemy! Insanity!

chainsaw in disguise

chainsaw's true form revealed!

grodog and tacojohn at the Black Blade booth

Ghul with REH scholar Mark Finn

6/05/2017 6:29 pm  #11

Chainsaw, the gaming tables appear to be spread out with lots of space.  Looks like a great venue in which to run games.  The pics are terrific as well!!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

6/05/2017 8:30 pm  #12

Looks like the kids had fun... bet those children had a good time too!

That Alehouse gathering looks awfully boisterous...

"I, Satampra Zeiros of Uzuldaroum, shall write with my left hand, since I have no longer any other, the tale of everything that befell Tirouv Ompallios and myself in the shrine of the god Tsathoggua..."

6/05/2017 10:51 pm  #13

Oh man, cool pics Chainsaw!

I filled my palace with deadly traps so trap admirers will come and visit me

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

6/06/2017 7:34 am  #14

Great pics! Looks like a fun con!

6/06/2017 7:47 am  #15

It was a fantastic con! I had a lot of fun running Hyperborea over the weekend, the highlight being the final session, in which the party got the TPK they deserved. 

6/06/2017 1:01 pm  #16

Absolutely fantastic convention, offering tons of old school/OSR games and chances to enjoy a game or a few minutes chatting with new designers and elder statesmen and stateswomen in a very informal, intimate setting. You feel like you're gaming with your best friends and family the whole time! Kudos to Doug Rhea and Mike Badolato for organizing it so well, year after year.

mabon5127 wrote:

Chainsaw, the gaming tables appear to be spread out with lots of space.  Looks like a great venue in which to run games.  The pics are terrific as well!!

Thanks man. It is. This year they moved the convention to the Westin from the Marriott, which added a little more space than normal. Still, they usually do their best to limit the capacity so as to heighten the quality. I've been there long enough that I manage to snag board rooms, but even the main room tables are pretty nice and spread out, as you saw. No noise issues and the rooms felt cool and fresh.

foxroe wrote:

Looks like the kids had fun... bet those children had a good time too!

That Alehouse gathering looks awfully boisterous...

I think the kids had fun! Yes, the Alehouse gathering can become pretty rowdy, but it's always a great, great event. This year austinjimm and Steve co-DM'd a game for 25 people, where my character revealed himself as a vampire-lich out to betray the party in the finale. We had a blast! Plus, austinjimm's free home brewed beer was superb.

Scalydemon wrote:

Oh man, cool pics Chainsaw!

Thanks man. We missed you. Any chance you'll return in 2018?

Ar'Pharazon wrote:

Great pics! Looks like a fun con!

It was! If you ever consider an out-of-state convention, I would definitely think strongly about NTRPG Con.

Ghul wrote:

It was a fantastic con! I had a lot of fun running Hyperborea over the weekend, the highlight being the final session, in which the party got the TPK they deserved. 

Haha! Awesome. My games went well too, though I didn't manage any TPKs! I need to get tougher! Hmmm... maybe at GameHole!

6/06/2017 3:46 pm  #17

Any updates to Foolsgrave or are you maintaining it as each con is it's own separate delve into the dungeon?

6/07/2017 10:22 am  #18

Ar'Pharazon wrote:

Any updates to Foolsgrave or are you maintaining it as each con is it's own separate delve into the dungeon?

Oh no, it's all one big bloody mess, hahah!

Journal updated here. One of the two groups found the entrance to Level 2, though their eight members experienced five deaths along the way. No idea if capitalbill plans to reveal its location (he kept a detailed map) or keep it for himself to plunder at Gary Con X in March '18. 

6/07/2017 2:55 pm  #19

Yes, this convention was a ton of fun! My only regret? - not playing more AS&SH.   Seriously, the most fun I had was the three Hyperborea games I was able to play over the course of the weekend. Makes me wish I'd have invested in it sooner than the 2E Kickstarter.

Great job by all involved with the North Texas RPG Con! I'll be back for my 3rd time next year!

Bring MORE HYPERBOREA!!
MOOOOOAAARRRR!!!!

-Hoyt.

"We're always creating rules in the tacit pursuit of verisimilitude. This is a valid and noble pursuit.
But for some of us, that's a false idol. We harken to a different song." - Frank Mentzer, 2017

6/08/2017 5:56 am  #20

blackmote wrote:

Yes, this convention was a ton of fun! My only regret? - not playing more AS&SH.   Seriously, the most fun I had was the three Hyperborea games I was able to play over the course of the weekend. Makes me wish I'd have invested in it sooner than the 2E Kickstarter.

Great meeting you at the convention, man, and glad you enjoyed yourself. Your Crystal Point crew pretty much kicked ass, so kudos to you! And welcome to the board, as well. With Jeff's 2E coming out in a few months, you have joined at an exciting time. Should be good!

blackmote wrote:

Great job by all involved with the North Texas RPG Con! I'll be back for my 3rd time next year!

Bring MORE HYPERBOREA!!
MOOOOOAAARRRR!!!!

-Hoyt.

Agreed! Can't wait for next year.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.