!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/28/2014 9:11 pm  #21

Re: The Black Monolith - Verctissa

Handy Haversack wrote:

Can Yiel see anything within the tower from the air? I don't want her connection to me to be obvious right now--just another bird taking the air. But I'd like to know who is at the other end of that pole if possible.

Rising slightly higher Yiel can see a man within the tower. He appears to be watching the shoreline as much as looking toward the west with an occasional gance down at Verctissa.

3/28/2014 9:13 pm  #22

This calls for my winning personality.

"Ho, the tower. A traveler seeks peaceful entry. Tell me, what is the name of your town?"

3/28/2014 9:19 pm  #23

Handy Haversack wrote:

This calls for my winning personality.

"Ho, the tower. A traveler seeks peaceful entry. Tell me, what is the name of your town?"

The man leans over the tower, he is brown-haired and bearded and wears a cap surronded by a circle of black fur with a thick black coat aorund him.

"This be Ruthan,: he calls down in perfect Pictish. "The inn and shops will welcome your trade," he turns back toward his survey of the West and North.

3/28/2014 9:26 pm  #24

"Hospitality is a light even in the dark years. And Ruthan is well served by your duty--keen eyes are the wards of fate." At the point Yiel lands on my shoulder. "And I thank you."

I'll head into town and look for an inn. Time to find out what's burning.

3/28/2014 9:36 pm  #25

Handy Haversack wrote:

"Hospitality is a light even in the dark years. And Ruthan is well served by your duty--keen eyes are the wards of fate." At the point Yiel lands on my shoulder. "And I thank you."

I'll head into town and look for an inn. Time to find out what's burning.

The smell of cooking fires and the smoke from chimneys is joined by the odor of charcoal burning in a forge. About 50 feet down the road from the watchtower is a huge fenced building with at least three stories. The building sprawls out toward the water with its own dock and has several outbuildings. A wide porch runs around the west and south side of the building that Verctissa can see. A large sign dangles from its wall near a doublegated opening (with both doors pushed wide enough to adnit a wagon) showing a smiling cat seated at a table with a fish on a plate before it).

Across the dirt street is a one story building with a two story barn behind it. The front of the building is open though a door or sliding wall can be moved in place. An anvil, forge, and large man working a belows over glowing coals is inside. More buildings line this street and others are further down where the dirt roads narrow and branch.

(signing off for tonight!) 

3/28/2014 9:38 pm  #26

Thanks, Jason! Lots of fun. I got my d20 crayoned in while we played, so now I'm ready!

3/29/2014 2:25 pm  #27

Handy Haversack wrote:

Thanks, Jason! Lots of fun. I got my d20 crayoned in while we played, so now I'm ready!

Excellent! Post your next turn when you are ready, even if I'm not around. Things can move quickly when we are both online but otherwise it can be a slow back and forth.

3/29/2014 2:31 pm  #28

[OK! Let me know if I should provide more info or decision trees with options so that more can happen or if I should adjust pacing at all; I've never tried PbP before. Also, is there anything on your blog that I shouldn't read?]

I'll head into the large building and look for a likely source of information, preferably a man (16 CHA, do your thing). I'll start with something along the lines of, "Is the fish here supplied by those brave sailors out on the lake? I have seen things in the water that would trouble me greatly should I venture on to those waters. I shall sample the fruits of their courage." You know. Grease the wheels.

3/29/2014 2:41 pm  #29

Handy Haversack wrote:

[OK! Let me know if I should provide more info or decision trees with options so that more can happen or if I should adjust pacing at all; I've never tried PbP before. Also, is there anything on your blog that I shouldn't read?]

I'll head into the large building and look for a likely source of information, preferably a man (16 CHA, do your thing). I'll start with something along the lines of, "Is the fish here supplied by those brave sailors out on the lake? I have seen things in the water that would trouble me greatly should I venture on to those waters. I shall sample the fruits of their courage." You know. Grease the wheels.

(Nothing on my blog is related to this pbp but so feel free to read it if you like, just avoid reading any posts in this forum that are part of someone elses game)

What are you going to do with Yiel?

3/29/2014 2:42 pm  #30

She stays on my shoulder for now. A little mystery never hurt when trying to impress the yokels.

3/29/2014 2:48 pm  #31

Handy Haversack wrote:

She stays on my shoulder for now. A little mystery never hurt when trying to impress the yokels.

As Verctissa turns to walk into the gates of the large building she hears the sound like lightning striking a nearby tree and feels a wave of heat across her shoulders. Behind her there is a scream that sounds like a voice made of blades scraping across the bronze rim of a shield and a deep below in reply.

3/29/2014 2:51 pm  #32

Yiel! You should have warned me.

OK, take some cover from the open gates if possible and turn to see what the commotion is. Must be market day!

3/29/2014 2:57 pm  #33

Handy Haversack wrote:

Yiel! You should have warned me.

OK, take some cover from the open gates if possible and turn to see what the commotion is. Must be market day!

Turning into the walled yard Verctissa peers around the gate. The smithy seems to be moving with fire. A young boy with his back aflame rushes into the street, the large man who was working the belows waves a sledgehammer at what seems to be a walking wave of fire. It has swallowed the forge, drank down the coals, its head brushes the roof and you can hear the boards pop and crack as it passes.

3/29/2014 3:05 pm  #34

Doesn't seem like a job for a quarterstaff . . .

I'll sound my hunting horn to call for aid and then try to tackle boy and smother the flames with my cloak.

3/29/2014 3:11 pm  #35

Handy Haversack wrote:

Doesn't seem like a job for a quarterstaff . . .

I'll sound my hunting horn to call for aid and then try to tackle boy and smother the flames with my cloak.

The sound of Verctissa's horn is suddenly echoed from the tower she passed then the call is taken up from somewhere near the shore and again further East and South.

The boy is turning and flailing his arms wrapping the fire further around him.

(Roll a d20 as you try to tackle him). 

3/29/2014 3:13 pm  #36

14! He's not wearing plate mail, is he? It hits an AC 6 without further mods.

3/29/2014 3:19 pm  #37

Handy Haversack wrote:

14! He's not wearing plate mail, is he? It hits an AC 6 without further mods.

Verctissa dives low and brings the young boy down. This close to him she can feel the cold that is sucking at him. The fire is like a living five pointed star. One point of the flaming thing is seeking for the young boys flesh while the lower point are hanging onto his hips as if it is riding him. The top point of the fire turns toward Verctissa and two black orbs like coals fallen from the forge stare at her for a moment.

3/29/2014 3:25 pm  #38

Well, not that it's a class ability, but given my lack of options, I'll arise and brandish my wood holy symbol (a spider of bleached wood, worn on a leather strap against my forehead). Let's try something along the lines of, "This is not your prey, daemon of the flame! By the web and the weave of fate, leave this boy!"

3/29/2014 4:14 pm  #39

Handy Haversack wrote:

Well, not that it's a class ability, but given my lack of options, I'll arise and brandish my wood holy symbol (a spider of bleached wood, worn on a leather strap against my forehead). Let's try something along the lines of, "This is not your prey, daemon of the flame! By the web and the weave of fate, leave this boy!"

Roll a d20 and a d6

3/29/2014 4:15 pm  #40

14 and 4. I seem to be stuck on 4 in the ones column. I'm using my official AS&SH dice, so we can always blame Ghul.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.