!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/21/2016 3:48 am  #1

Freeport in Hyperborea

Hi all,
first time posting on the new forum, yay!  
Life has kept me pretty busy in the last year (we adopted a baby girl!) with little chance to play, but now I have got a new group of players which I'd like to introduce to the setting, and I was thinking of using the original Freeport series of scenarios; they are quite generic, but have a very strong Lovecraftian vibe. I plan on removing the few references to demihumans, but keep the rest much the same. One thing I am stuck on, is where to place Freeport? 
One possible solution is to identify Freeport with one of two existing places seemingly suitable for piracy: Tinsaar or Port Zangerios (the latter would probably fit better the "tone" although the whole thing about masks might pose problems.) The other approach is to keep Freeport as is, and place it on some island (Freeport is supposed to be on an island somewhat far from the main land.)
I'll also have to think about porting the gods (the non-Lovecraftian gods, actually) to something that exists in Hyperborea; again, they are very generic, e.g. God of Knowledge, God of War etc.

Any suggestions are welcome!

thanks,
Antonio

Last edited by rabindranath72 (4/21/2016 3:49 am)

4/21/2016 5:55 am  #2

Re: Freeport in Hyperborea

Great to see you here, Antonio! I don't know a lot about Freeport, unfortunately, but I have utilized 1e Lankhmar for Port Zangerios in the past. 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

4/21/2016 7:43 am  #3

Thanks Jeff! Long overdue! Life has been hectic, but now I am back into the fold! I hope these new players will enjoy a bit of weird fantasy.

Perhaps you can help with the gods part? What would you suggest as a suitable god dedicated to scholarly (not necessarily sorcerous) knowledge? The "priests" of this god are actually librarians and scholars of sort. I'd like to keep this aspect of the Freeport, as it's quite vital to the scenario.

Thanks in advance!
A.

Last edited by rabindranath72 (4/21/2016 7:43 am)

4/21/2016 8:13 am  #4

rabindranath72 wrote:

Thanks Jeff! Long overdue! Life has been hectic, but now I am back into the fold! I hope these new players will enjoy a bit of weird fantasy.

Perhaps you can help with the gods part? What would you suggest as a suitable god dedicated to scholarly (not necessarily sorcerous) knowledge? The "priests" of this god are actually librarians and scholars of sort. I'd like to keep this aspect of the Freeport, as it's quite vital to the scenario.

Thanks in advance!
A.

Hey, Antonio. Welcome to Hyperborea!

I would think the Hyperborean god Aurorus could quite easily fit this bill. "Aurorus “The Shining One”: This deity of Chaos is,associated with auroræ, stars, meteor showers, comets, sorcery, and witchcraft. Aurorus is reputed to be a formless goddess who typically manifests as a swirling, sparkling mist. The belief that Aurorus dwells within the
most shimmering of auroræ that fill the Hyperborean sky is commonly held. Three-faced effigies are carved to represent Aurorus, but these are nothing more than imagined representations. She speaks with a tripartite female voice and grants knowledge in exchange for animal and human sacrifice. Typical followers: men (esp. Hyperboreans), men of Leng, abominable snow-men."

I've used these guys as archivist-monk-priests of Aurorus: http://hyperborea.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=126

4/21/2016 9:04 am  #5

Handy Haversack wrote:

rabindranath72 wrote:

Thanks in advance!
A.

Hey, Antonio. Welcome to Hyperborea!

I would think the Hyperborean god Aurorus could quite easily fit this bill. "Aurorus “The Shining One”: This deity of Chaos is,associated with auroræ, stars, meteor showers, comets, sorcery, and witchcraft. Aurorus is reputed to be a formless goddess who typically manifests as a swirling, sparkling mist. The belief that Aurorus dwells within the
most shimmering of auroræ that fill the Hyperborean sky is commonly held. Three-faced effigies are carved to represent Aurorus, but these are nothing more than imagined representations. She speaks with a tripartite female voice and grants knowledge in exchange for animal and human sacrifice. Typical followers: men (esp. Hyperboreans), men of Leng, abominable snow-men."

I've used these guys as archivist-monk-priests of Aurorus: http://hyperborea.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=126

Thanks HH!
I have been going through all the deity writeups in the Referee's Manual, but nothing strikes me as particularly fitting; I like the knowledge side of Aurorus' cult, but the part about sacrifices doesn't really fit the vibe I am after. Also the Chaotic nature of the goddess might be hard to reconcile with the need for an ascetic life devoted to study. Food for thought I guess! Thanks!

4/21/2016 11:14 am  #6

It's a little boring, but maybe Apollo?  According to the Greeks, he was the god of poetry, music, and medicine, all of which I guess are "scholarly" pursuits.  Athena would be even better of course, but she isn't worshipped in Hyperborea (unless you decide she is).

Possibly even a specific cult version of Apollo - "Apollo Akademos" or something like that.

Last edited by Blackadder23 (4/21/2016 11:18 am)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

4/21/2016 7:10 pm  #7

Blackadder23 wrote:

It's a little boring, but maybe Apollo?  According to the Greeks, he was the god of poetry, music, and medicine, all of which I guess are "scholarly" pursuits.  Athena would be even better of course, but she isn't worshipped in Hyperborea (unless you decide she is).

Possibly even a specific cult version of Apollo - "Apollo Akademos" or something like that.

Apollo is a great suggestion, I think. I've tried to portray in a way that is similar to his mythological counterpart here in the real world: with a warrior aspect and a poet aspect. As such, I think he fits the bill well, Antonio. 

Aurorus, "The Shining One," is in fact inspired by the same "god" found in Abraham Merritt's The Moon Pool. Love Merritt's work -- I don't think it get enough attention!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

4/21/2016 8:54 pm  #8

rabindranath72 wrote:

Hi all,
first time posting on the new forum, yay!  
Life has kept me pretty busy in the last year (we adopted a baby girl!) with little chance to play, but now I have got a new group of players which I'd like to introduce to the setting

Congrats on your baby girl, and welcome to the forum, Antonio! 

Make sure to post some write ups of your games, man. I enjoy reading them even if I don't always comment.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

4/22/2016 9:04 am  #9

Thanks for the suggestion! Yeah, looks like Apollo is the best fit (or one of its aspects, at least.) I am not above introducing more deities if needed, but I'd like to use as much of the cool stuff that Jeff put in the book  
I was thinking some deities from the Dreamlands might be added to the setting; seems they would be appropriate (actually I had thought of putting Freeport in the Dreamlands themselves, but many of its aspects are too exotic for what I have in mind.)

So, nobody is familiar with Freeport to suggest where I could place it?

4/22/2016 2:27 pm  #10

I'm not familiar with Freeport specifically.  In general I would suggest (in addition to the places you've already considered) one of the nameless towns in either Brigand's Bay, the Kitasion Archipelago, or Dagon Bay.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/11/2016 4:13 pm  #11

Great thread! All the above suggestions are great, and thought inspiring.

I have planned to use Freeport to represent Zangerios as well. The cult of Hastur dwelling within the city (inspired by the writings of R.W. Chambers and various Cthulhu Mythos writers) plays right into my Hyperborea campaign (which leans more hopeless/Lovecraftian) and this piratical port. But instead changing things up to install one of the more traditional Hyperborean gods is never a bad idea.

The above doubled as a possible Carcosa game link were I to introduce planar travel at some point in the future of my own Hyperborea campaign. The Dreamlands could also be a fit at this point, and it's possible I'd use some of its darker locales, but I might mitigate the whole riding around on Zebras while chatting with cats aspect for my own game group unless they truly desired it. I doubt they would.

Last edited by Josh (6/11/2016 4:31 pm)

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.