!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/28/2014 6:45 pm  #1

The Black Monolith - Verctissa

The past seems like a dream and yet the present, though, as real as the rising sun warm in her face, has taken her to a place she has never even dreamed.

A fish leaps from the nearby water to the East and the rising sun and the gentle waves lap the stones of the beach. There is a haze that may be a far shore. The road travels along this beach heading North in once direction and curving along the south turning edge of the shore toward the east in the other. All other directions show fields of dpring earth just beginning their first growth after winter.

3/28/2014 7:42 pm  #2

Re: The Black Monolith - Verctissa

I'd like to send the raven Yiel up to take a look around and see if we can see anything along the road. Just a quick (minute-long) up and circle.

(Sorry--didn't see this until just now, but I should be online tonight.)

3/28/2014 7:56 pm  #3

Handy Haversack wrote:

I'd like to send the raven Yiel up to take a look around and see if we can see anything along the road. Just a quick (minute-long) up and circle.

(Sorry--didn't see this until just now, but I should be online tonight.)

Yiel flings itself up and with a flap the great raven's wings catch the air. In a climbing spiral Yiel rises and with eyes that can pick out the movements of a fleeing mouse it scans the surrounding land. To the East a wide body of water continues to the North and curves South and East. Dark smudges that may be buildings are set along the South-Eastern shore. In the distance the curve or water meets another shore and it appears that this is a large tear-shaped lake. Boats are out on the water but near to the East shore. Far to the west are the outlines of mountains, the same to the North, and a dark smudge across the northern horizon where the plain meets the sky. To the south the land drops down and a dark column of smoke rises, is caught by the wind and carried away west. Yiel settles to the ground having seen nothing else moving besides the boats in the distance across the lake.

3/28/2014 8:02 pm  #4

Assuming those buildings do not look PIctish in make--since we are not yet ready to bring our challenge in the open to the Old Man--we start making along the road to the settlement. It may be that allies can be found there for whatever strange challenge has called us here.

3/28/2014 8:12 pm  #5

Handy Haversack wrote:

Assuming those buildings do not look PIctish in make--since we are not yet ready to bring our challenge in the open to the Old Man--we start making along the road to the settlement. It may be that allies can be found there for whatever strange challenge has called us here.

The road runs along the stone beach, about fifty feet of stone to the waters edge. As Verctissa travels the path toward what Yiel saw along the southern shore a strong smell assails her nose. (Roll a d20 against Wis).

3/28/2014 8:15 pm  #6

11 vs. 14 WIS

3/28/2014 8:19 pm  #7

A terrible stink is arising from the water's edge. A glance in that direction shows some small disturbence in the lapping water, but Verctissa cannot make out exactly what it is.

3/28/2014 8:22 pm  #8

Send Yiel over, keeping her 30' above the water, though, and ready a sling stone just in case.

3/28/2014 8:29 pm  #9

Handy Haversack wrote:

Send Yiel over, keeping her 30' above the water, though, and ready a sling stone just in case.

Yiel rises again and peers below into the rolling waters. The lake appears to have a thick greyish consistency but a dark squarish mass is in the water near to the edge where the wet stones look tinged with green, Something seems to move below the water causing a small ripple of water that opposses the slow lapping against the stones. 

Roll a d20

3/28/2014 8:30 pm  #10

(Decided to use the dice that came with my AS&SH set!)

19!

3/28/2014 8:34 pm  #11

Handy Haversack wrote:

(Decided to use the dice that came with my AS&SH set!)

19!

As Yiel watches the dark mass gives a sudden heave. It turns in the water and the swollen body of a man is revealed. From beneath the water a large clawed armed is revealed, and below the surface Yiel's keen eyes can see a round body with a sloped shell, two long eyes on geyish stalks and a second clawed arm, before it slips again beneath the water.

Add 50xp to your character.

3/28/2014 8:38 pm  #12

Looking at the vegetation near the road and water, do I recognize the local flora or get a sense from it how far I am from known areas? E.g., do I recognize any of the ingredients I have been trained to use in my various witch's brews?

(BTW: Per standard, I have scare and charm person memorized.)

3/28/2014 8:46 pm  #13

Handy Haversack wrote:

Looking at the vegetation near the road and water, do I recognize the local flora or get a sense from it how far I am from known areas? E.g., do I recognize any of the ingredients I have been trained to use in my various witch's brews?

(BTW: Per standard, I have scare and charm person memorized.)

The short rough weeds which cover the ground seem unfamiliar but some longer leaves appear to be the roots of yellow lion, a bitter but edible flowering weed. Yellow lion is extremely common in Pictland and has never been mentioned as rare among travelers, elders, merchants, etc...

There are several other types of small root and weed growths but this close to the end of winter they are just beginning to bud and lack the more colorful flowering identifiers.

3/28/2014 8:49 pm  #14

OK, does it seem as if the crab(?) has moved away? Is that human body close enough that I could snare it with my whip (or quarterstaff) and draw it to shore, see how it died (or if it's human)? That is, without undue risk. Otherwise, I will continue toward the buildings.

3/28/2014 8:53 pm  #15

Yiel gives a cry from above and watches as a large claw reaches out and half severs the body's head removing most of the flesh from side of neck and shoulder. To the raven the creature looks both large and dangerous.

3/28/2014 8:54 pm  #16

Wise Yiel!

Right then. Onward. If I had sleep prepared, then maybe we could take it. In this case, I don't think the beast will succumb to my charms. Let us find people. My talents are more likely to meet with success among human minds, especially weak ones.

3/28/2014 8:58 pm  #17

Handy Haversack wrote:

Wise Yiel!

Right then. Onward. If I had sleep prepared, then maybe we could take it. In this case, I don't think the beast will succumb to my charms. Let us find people. My talents are more likely to meet with success among human minds, especially weak ones.

Leaving the body and the creature behind Verctissa continues to the East. From Yiel's vantage point the raven is first to see the rising plume of several sma;; co;omns of ;light greyish smoke. The drift apart on the wind streaming toward the west. An hour upon the road and the dark outline of what could be buildings appear. 

Roll a d20

3/28/2014 9:00 pm  #18

Er, 3.

3/28/2014 9:06 pm  #19

Handy Haversack wrote:

Er, 3.

It is only a short while before the dark smudges change to buildings. The road splits to the south and also fragments into half a dozen narrower dirt paths that lead or go between various buildings as it enteres what appears to be a small village. 

The first building that can be seen is a covered tower platform  about 40 feet high surrounded by a wall of wooden spikes, small and large surrounding its base and presenting their points to anyone who might approach the stairs within the protective circle. Someone watched from within the tower and a white piece of cloth on a pole is projecting from the south side near the roof.

3/28/2014 9:09 pm  #20

Can Yiel see anything within the tower from the air? I don't want her connection to me to be obvious right now--just another bird taking the air. But I'd like to know who is at the other end of that pole if possible.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.