!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/22/2016 1:11 pm  #1

Chalicotheres: Clawed Horsebeasts of the Eocene!

Well and but so Ms. Haversack and I hit the American Museum of Natural History over the weekend. The whooping crane remains North America's stateliest bird. The titanosaur is freaking big. But the most crying out for engamizing is the chalicothere. These things once roamed North America in herds! And people say the country is dangerous *now* . . .

Chalicothere
No. Encountered: 1d4 (4d6)
Alighnment: Neutral
Size: L
Movement: 30
Dex: 10
Armour Class: 7
Hit Dice: 3+1
No. of Attacks: 2 (claw / claw)
Damage: 1d8 / 1d8
Saving Throw: 15
Morale: 7
Experience Points: 75
Treasure Class: --

These ungulates, related to tapirs, horses, and rhinos, evolved in the Eocene Period and are extant in many of the forests and steppes of Hyperborea. Unlike most herbivorous ungulates, chalicotheres have long, curving claws on their front front feet. Most of the chalicothere's weight is carried on its powerful hind legs, and they are occasionally seen sitting back on their haunches. They use their claws to reach tender leaves on high branches but mainly for defense. Encounters will be with a family unit or a larger herd.

Dead chalicotheres are prized by necromancers for their excellent adaptability as skeletons.

2/22/2016 2:27 pm  #2

Re: Chalicotheres: Clawed Horsebeasts of the Eocene!

Very suitable for Hyperborea, I think!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

2/28/2016 10:42 pm  #3

Anyone read "Pliocene Exile" books by Julian May?  A pretty entertaining series overall - and not totally inapplicable to a Hyperborean campaign.  Anyway the main riding beast in the books is the chalicothere.

2/29/2016 10:55 am  #4

A friend of mine mentioned those books recently, but I have never read them.

2/29/2016 5:01 pm  #5

Sounds cool, lige!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.