!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/04/2016 9:41 am  #161

Re: Gary Con VIII (2016)

gizmomathboy wrote:

Don't forget you can do some decent searching/filtering with my web app:

http://gizmomathboy.com/

gary/gygax

You're giving away my secrets! ILLUSIONS, Michael!

2/09/2016 9:24 am  #162

I have some extra tickets to get rid of. I'll hold onto them until Friday and turning them back in this Saturday Feb 13.

I have:

1 Kinstrife Chainmail, Thursday 6pm

1 Beyond the Ice Fall, Thursday 2pm

1 Sea Wolf's Daughter, Friday 8pm

What? Me worry?

2/09/2016 1:01 pm  #163

gizmomathboy wrote:

I have some extra tickets to get rid of. I'll hold onto them until Friday and turning them back in this Saturday Feb 13.

I have:

1 Kinstrife Chainmail, Thursday 6pm

1 Beyond the Ice Fall, Thursday 2pm

1 Sea Wolf's Daughter, Friday 8pm

All that is left now is 1 Kinstrife ticket.

What? Me worry?

2/10/2016 8:32 am  #164

We have sorted ourselves out and have the following seats to give away. Like gizmo, I will wait till Sat. morning and then release back to the Con population at large. But first pick to the Alehouse and Hyperborea forums:

--Thu. 10-2: Firefly RPG: What Was That
--Thu. 6-10: Cyberpunk: Franchise Wars Chapter 1
--Thu 6-10.: Hideouts & Hoodlums: Palace of the Vamp Queen
--Thu. 6-10: AS&SH Rise of the Violet Spiders (should be good!)
--Thu 6-12.: Dungeons Deep, Red Death X2
--Thu. 6-12: David Wesely: Braunstein
--Fri.: 1-5 Tractics: Falaise Pocket (overlaps, has the game again)
--Fri. 2-6: TMNT: The Hunt
--Fri. 2-6: MSH: New York '77
--Fri. 4-10: Re-Amon's Tomb
--Fri. 6-10: AS&SH, Long Walk Home
--Fri. 8-12: Ghostbusters
--Sat.: 10-2: D6XD6: The Uncanny X-Men
--Sat.: 4-8: CoC: Thing on the Ice
--Sat. 4-8: Quest for the Gate Between Worlds
--Sun. 10-2: Arachne's Armor
--Sun 12-4: Braunstein

If you want anything, just post in the thread.

2/10/2016 9:12 am  #165

Forgot to add this to Handy's give away list.

-- Fri. 2-6 pm: Swords & Wizardry: Death for Taxes

2/10/2016 5:46 pm  #166

OK, GaryCon just said registration closes Sat. at noon. So I'd like to release these back into genpop by tomorrow morning. Post here tonight if you want anything.

2/10/2016 7:20 pm  #167

Yeah, I'll do the same for my one ticket of Kinstrife.

What? Me worry?

2/11/2016 4:10 pm  #168

Handy Haversack wrote:

We have sorted ourselves out and have the following seats to give away. Like gizmo, I will wait till Sat. morning and then release back to the Con population at large. But first pick to the Alehouse and Hyperborea forums:

--Thu. 10-2: Firefly RPG: What Was That
--Thu. 6-10: Cyberpunk: Franchise Wars Chapter 1
--Thu 6-10.: Hideouts & Hoodlums: Palace of the Vamp Queen
--Thu. 6-10: AS&SH Rise of the Violet Spiders (should be good!)
--Thu 6-12.: Dungeons Deep, Red Death X2
--Thu. 6-12: David Wesely: Braunstein
--Fri.: 1-5 Tractics: Falaise Pocket (overlaps, has the game again)
--Fri. 2-6: TMNT: The Hunt
--Fri. 2-6: MSH: New York '77
--Fri. 4-10: Re-Amon's Tomb
--Fri. 6-10: AS&SH, Long Walk Home
--Fri. 8-12: Ghostbusters
--Sat.: 10-2: D6XD6: The Uncanny X-Men
--Sat.: 4-8: CoC: Thing on the Ice
--Sat. 4-8: Quest for the Gate Between Worlds
--Sun. 10-2: Arachne's Armor
--Sun 12-4: Braunstein

If you want anything, just post in the thread.

I'll take A Long Walk Home if you still have it, Handy. Does anyone want a ticket for Secrets under Stonebrook (C&C) in the same time slot?

2/11/2016 4:38 pm  #169

DMPrata wrote:

I'll take A Long Walk Home if you still have it, Handy. Does anyone want a ticket for Secrets under Stonebrook (C&C) in the same time slot?

Dave, I'll check and see if Em had a chance to return that one.

2/11/2016 5:33 pm  #170

Handy Haversack wrote:

DMPrata wrote:

Dave, I'll check and see if Em had a chance to return that one.

Caught her just in time! It's all yours.

2/12/2016 11:09 am  #171

Handy Haversack wrote:

Caught her just in time! It's all yours.

Cool! Thanks. Now I'll try to return Secrets under Stonebrook back to the pool before tomorrow morning. I'd rather play AS&SH than C&C any day of the week.

2/13/2016 11:43 am  #172

So I think after all the horse trading and Amazon sky-ship wrangling, I think the games I'm in that relate to the crowd here are:

Mabon's Knives in the Dark, Thu. morning.
My instantiation of Joe's Beyond the Ice Fall Thu. afternoon (with capitalbill, Tadich, and monkeydono!).
Lige's AD&D Serpents of Black Waters Sat. morning.
Grodog's Tom Moldvay’s CH-1 Sat. afternoon

But our group is in a bunch of members' events. Almost all of us are in either Wreckus or Moebius Maximus on Sunday (I'm running an Into the Odd game). Em is in lige's Floating Monks game Thu. morning. Bigperm and Monkeydono are in Ghul's Thu. night game (thanks to Grodog!), and Bigperm is in Mabon's Fri. night Snakemen game. My buddy Manny is in SavageGM's Thu. morning AS&SH game and Ghul's Fri. night game. Ross is in that one with him and in Grodog's game with me (and my AS&SH game, too!).

Collectively, we nailed it.

2/13/2016 12:07 pm  #173

That's awesome, Handy. I love it when a plan comes together.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

2/13/2016 12:09 pm  #174

Ghul wrote:

That's awesome, Handy. I love it when a plan comes together.

Right? XP for everyone!

2/22/2016 10:42 am  #175

Making progress on my preparation for Gary Con, thankfully, including the two most important components:

- Fully redrawn, renumbered and touched up maps, including over 80 numbered locations on the island and its dungeon levels. You will not be able to explore the entire location in a four hour session, but I'll be providing some clues and map fragment handouts that should enable the group to select some entertaining, achievable short-term goals. Kudos to Welleran for giving me this idea - it worked well in his megadungeon-based convention games.

- Created 20 pregens, including 8 fighters (two fighters, two barbarians, two berzerkers, one ranger, one warlock), 4 magicians (a magician, necromancer, cryomancer, pyromancer), 4 clerics (two clerics, one druid, one shaman) and 4 thieves (one thief, legerdemainist, scout and bard). They all have some cool magical items that should make things interesting. You're level 7-8 out of 12 possible, so you will have accumulated some good stuff (magical swords, rings, wands, scrolls, laser pistols - maybe even a flame thrower!). Again, anyone who wants to bring their own PC should PM me and I'll work with you beforehand.

Still have to finish some odds/ends, but looking good overall. I really hate having to prepare on site - sucks to be in your room getting stuff ready when you could be catching up with folks. See everyone soon!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

2/22/2016 10:53 am  #176

Nice!

What method did you use to pregenerate the pregens?

2/22/2016 10:54 am  #177

Chainsaw wrote:

Making progress on my preparation for Gary Con, thankfully, including the two most important components:

- Fully redrawn, renumbered and touched up maps, including over 80 numbered locations on the island and its dungeon levels. You will not be able to explore the entire location in a four hour session, but I'll be providing some clues and map fragment handouts that should enable the group to select some entertaining, achievable short-term goals. Kudos to Welleran for giving me this idea - it worked well in his megadungeon-based convention games.

- Created 20 pregens, including 8 fighters (two fighters, two barbarians, two berzerkers, one ranger, one warlock), 4 magicians (a magician, necromancer, cryomancer, pyromancer), 4 clerics (two clerics, one druid, one shaman) and 4 thieves (one thief, legerdemainist, scout and bard). They all have some cool magical items that should make things interesting. You're level 7-8 out of 12 possible, so you will have accumulated some good stuff (magical swords, rings, wands, scrolls, laser pistols - maybe even a flame thrower!). Again, anyone who wants to bring their own PC should PM me and I'll work with you beforehand.

Still have to finish some odds/ends, but looking good overall. I really hate having to prepare on site - sucks to be in your room getting stuff ready when you could be catching up with folks. See everyone soon!

Sounds great!  I play-tested the two new adventures I'm running and my home group got about half way finished in 3.5 hours.  I think the guys at home game / play at "campaign pace" meaning the rate of adventure moves much more slowly.  I removed a couple areas completely and they still didn't finish.  I feel as though the players at GC will be much more goal oriented.  I'm leaving the adventures a little thick with the ability to thin on the fly.

Morgan

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

2/22/2016 11:13 am  #178

Handy Haversack wrote:

The old fashioned way, with beer, dice, a pencil and paper. I thought about using one of the great automated programs that people have built, but I knew working through the pregens by hand would force me to review a lot of rules and abilities and things. Plus, I wanted to assign a bunch of specific items so that choosing between the characters might pose some dilemma for the group. Do you want that legerdemainist who has thief abilities and a few good spells? Or the straight up thief who has Slippers of Spider Climbing? Do you want the magician with a diverse mix of spells and a Wand of Paralysis, but AC 9? Or the pyromancer with a ton of firepower and a Ring of Protection that grants him AC 0? Do you want the barbarian with a Sun Blade - or the berzerker with a Great Axe of Decapitation? Of course, the straight up fighter has a Laser Pistol, which ain't too shabby either. That sort of thing. Now that I have the base sheets built, I'll make four copies at Kinko's and be ready to rock and roll.

I also included a guy with a Sword +0 just for you, Handy.

mabon5127 wrote:

Sounds great!  I play-tested the two new adventures I'm running and my home group got about half way finished in 3.5 hours.  I think the guys at home game / play at "campaign pace" meaning the rate of adventure moves much more slowly.  I removed a couple areas completely and they still didn't finish.  I feel as though the players at GC will be much more goal oriented.  I'm leaving the adventures a little thick with the ability to thin on the fly.

I had a terrific time in your game a few years ago and really regret missing it this year. I'm sure it will be fun! Also, totally agree on playtesting. Thankfully capitalbill humored me through a couple of playtests of my material, helping me figure out where to improve it. I'm hoping for a ton of feedback from Gary Con as well. Should be good!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

2/22/2016 11:21 am  #179

Chainsaw wrote:

Handy Haversack wrote:

The old fashioned way, with beer, dice, a pencil and paper. I thought about using one of the great automated programs that people have built, but I knew working through the pregens by hand would force me to review a lot of rules and abilities and things. Plus, I wanted to assign a bunch of specific items so that choosing between the characters might pose some dilemma for the group. Do you want that legerdemainist who has thief abilities and a few good spells? Or the straight up thief who has Slippers of Spider Climbing? Do you want the magician with a diverse mix of spells and a Wand of Paralysis, but AC 9? Or the pyromancer with a ton of firepower and a Ring of Protection that grants him AC 0? Do you want the barbarian with a Sun Blade - or the berzerker with a Great Axe of Decapitation? Of course, the straight up fighter has a Laser Pistol, which ain't too shabby either. That sort of thing. Now that I have the base sheets built, I'll make four copies at Kinko's and be ready to rock and roll.

mabon5127 wrote:

I had a terrific time in your game a few years ago and really regret missing it this year. I'm sure it will be fun! Also, totally agree on playtesting. Thankfully capitalbill humored me through a couple of playtests of my material, helping me figure out where to improve it. I'm hoping for a ton of feedback from Gary Con as well. Should be good!

Capitalbill seems to be the kind of guy that could give useful feedback.  I have one guy in the play-test that runs as well and I value his opinion but he isn't critical enough so I try to assess by laughing and attention level which was pretty good. See you in about a week.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

2/23/2016 11:12 pm  #180

After all the shucking and jiving, I'm in your game Thu. morning, mabon, and BigPerm is in your Fri. night. We're psyched!

Also, I just had the thought that we should remind new players during our AS&SH games that Jeff will be swotting away at the North Wind booth in the dealers' hall and that AS&SH products are available at popular prices.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.