!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/06/2015 5:02 pm  #241

Re: AS&SH 2nd Print?

My current work is on Volume II: Sorcery. Adding new spells, the cryomancer spell list, and other sundries. Something I've worked on today was a series of "monster type summoned" tables for monster summoning I, II, III, and IV. This is something I've wanted in my home game for a while.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

12/06/2015 6:49 pm  #242

Ghul wrote:

My current work is on Volume II: Sorcery. Adding new spells, the cryomancer spell list, and other sundries. Something I've worked on today was a series of "monster type summoned" tables for monster summoning I, II, III, and IV. This is something I've wanted in my home game for a while.

New spells for the older classes as well?

Had you mentioned previously expanding the madness table as well?

Thanks

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

12/06/2015 6:57 pm  #243

mabon5127 wrote:

Ghul wrote:

New spells for the older classes as well?

Had you mentioned previously expanding the madness table as well?

Thanks

I'm talking about the cryomancer spells, mostly. I think there are only a few other new spells. However, some of the new cryomancer spells are usable by other classes.

No plan to expand the madness table, Morgan. 

12/06/2015 11:08 pm  #244

The cryomancer is a great addition to the game - nice to see it properly integrated in the new printing!

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

12/10/2015 7:32 pm  #245

One thing I wanted to recall to your attention was a possible clarification of the required alignments for warlocks, legerdemainists, and shamans, as discussed in a thread last year.  I don't think the fact that these classes must also meet the alignment requirements for their "school" of magic is really clear from the current text.

Last edited by Blackadder23 (12/10/2015 7:33 pm)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

12/10/2015 8:00 pm  #246

Blackadder23 wrote:

One thing I wanted to recall to your attention was a possible clarification of the required alignments for warlocks, legerdemainists, and shamans, as discussed in a thread last year.  I don't think the fact that these classes must also meet the alignment requirements for their "school" of magic is really clear from the current text.

This is something that I've noted and intend to address, but thanks nonetheless!

12/11/2015 1:25 am  #247

Just asking like that, is there any link to that Cryomancer class?

12/11/2015 9:11 am  #248

Mortificateur wrote:

Good question. It was published in Scalydemon's print-only (and excellent) zine AFS, so I'm not sure if there's an online version anywhere. I was wondering the same thing recently.

That said, here's the zine:

http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

Not sure what shipping to Canada will be like.

3/26/2016 4:02 pm  #249

Any news you can share since this update from November, Jeff?

Ghul wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

Anything new you can share, Jeff?

It's on! I've been working on it, and others have, too.

ART! 

• Charles Lang is working on the cover. He has sent me several conceptual sketches. Things are coming together nicely on that front!
  • Val Semeiks will be doing six full-page frontispiece illustrations that will mark each of the six "volumes" or chapters of the game. He starts in December.
  • Johnathan Bingham is working on interiors. He is doing a series of full-page class illustrations -- of which there will be 26 in total! After that he might be taking on some larger scene pictures.
  • Del Teigeler will be doing several monster illustrations.
  • Glynn Seal is going to tackle the world map. 

WRITING!

I've got contributions from Ben Ball, Michael Haskell, and Colin Chapman (has anyone seen or heard from him?). Some of these contributions will be worked into the hardback alongside the three new subclasses (cryomancer, huntsman, purloiner), as well as a fourth subclass that I'm still fiddling with. It was going to be a seer, but I've been experimenting with another subclass, and I'm liking it more -- a Viking-style runecaster. 

EDITING!

David Prata will edit the whole, tidying up the new material and combing through the original material. 

It's a work in progress, I'm happy to say, but I'm also working on something else, too. Never a dull moment in the hoary wastes of Hyperborea! ;)

Cheers,
Jeff T.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

3/26/2016 7:49 pm  #250

It has been a long time, hasn't it? Well, things have been progressing mostly behind the scenes. The game will be a hardback, including all six volumes of the game.

• New subclasses: huntsman (fighter), cryomancer (magician), runegraver (cleric), purloiner (thief).
  • New spells
  • New monsters
  • New magic items

The editing process has begun, and David Prata has made some great progress.

New art is underway! Adding to the well-received art found in the original printing, I'm happy to announce the following list of superb talents:

• Johnathan Bingham
  • Peter Mullen
  • Russ Nicholson
  • Glynn Seal
  • Val Semeiks
  • Jason Sholtis
  • Del Teigeler

Charles Lang is painting a front cover and a back cover.

Also, Glynn Seal will produce a stunning new map of Hyperborea!

I look forward to sharing so much more, but for now my focus is on The Mystery at Port Greely. But I'm glad you brought it up, chainsaw, because the hardback is underway, and it is going to be spectacular.

Cheers,
Jeff T.

Last edited by Ghul (3/26/2016 9:19 pm)

3/26/2016 8:29 pm  #251

Sounds great - thanks!

3/26/2016 8:49 pm  #252

Can't wait!

3/27/2016 5:53 am  #253

Splendid - great clutch of artists.

R

3/27/2016 7:00 am  #254

Our favorite barbarian is back for the second edition of AS&SH!

Scratch that. What I meant to say is, "Our favorite barbarian's back!"

This paint sketch represents Charles Lang's work in progress for the back cover of the AS&SH game!

3/27/2016 7:34 am  #255

Looking good!

3/28/2016 7:50 am  #256

Fantastic!

3/28/2016 8:08 am  #257

I have a request for this project, but I don't know if it is a major or minor request.

I'll certainly buy a copy of the hardback, but I am not a fan of all-in-one hardbacks.  I'd like to be able to print the 6 volumes individually from the PDF and bind them as appropriate.  So, I'm asking if it is possible to layout the PDF so that the 6 volumes start on the "right hand page", so to speak.

3/28/2016 1:44 pm  #258

francisca wrote:

I have a request for this project, but I don't know if it is a major or minor request.

I'll certainly buy a copy of the hardback, but I am not a fan of all-in-one hardbacks.  I'd like to be able to print the 6 volumes individually from the PDF and bind them as appropriate.  So, I'm asking if it is possible to layout the PDF so that the 6 volumes start on the "right hand page", so to speak.

I'm sure Jeff will jump in to correct me if need be, but I believe what you describe is still the plan. We're still looking to make a separate, perfect-bound Players' Manual available, containing only VOLUMES I–III, in addition to the complete hardcover containing VOLUMES I–VI. The Players' Manual will be laid out identically to the first half of the hardcover so that page references remain consistent (i.e., page 56 of the softcover will be the same as page 56 of the hardcover; the hardcover will just have more pages).

3/28/2016 3:08 pm  #259

DMPrata wrote:

francisca wrote:

I'm sure Jeff will jump in to correct me if need be, but I believe what you describe is still the plan. We're still looking to make a separate, perfect-bound Players' Manual available, containing only VOLUMES I–III, in addition to the complete hardcover containing VOLUMES I–VI. The Players' Manual will be laid out identically to the first half of the hardcover so that page references remain consistent (i.e., page 56 of the softcover will be the same as page 56 of the hardcover; the hardcover will just have more pages).

Exactly so! Although I'm not 100% on perfect-bound, as spiral-bound has been so popular and well received, I may stick with that format for the Players' Manual.

3/28/2016 5:44 pm  #260

Handy Haversack wrote:

Mortificateur wrote:

Good question. It was published in Scalydemon's print-only (and excellent) zine AFS, so I'm not sure if there's an online version anywhere. I was wondering the same thing recently.

That said, here's the zine:

http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

Not sure what shipping to Canada will be like.

Thank you Handy! Whatever I am paying you please remind me to double it.

I filled my palace with deadly traps so trap admirers will come and visit me

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.