!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/24/2014 6:50 pm  #81

Re: Introduction Thread

Santaj wrote:

Greetings fellows!

About a month back, I bought the PDF of AS&SH and within a few days had ordered the boxed set, a Players' Manual and the Dunwich module from Noble Knight.  After receiving the actual physical product, I was completely hooked.  The PDF was enough to push me to buy physical boxed set but actually getting ahold of that gorgeous looking box, I knew I'd be starting a campaign up straight away.  Within a few days of receiving the actual boxed set, I placed another order with Jeff right at the end of his most recent sale for another five Players' Manuals and the Sightless Serpent module.  I was so enthused about the game that I bought those Players' Manuals for my entire group.  I even snapped up copies of issues 2-4 of AFS Magazine and already owned Knockspell #4 with Rats in the Walls within.

I started the new campaign with my group yesterday and I loved it!  I think the group really enjoyed it as well and I'm looking forward to a long and fun campaign.

I've been gaming since around 1978 or 79.  Started with First Edition AD&D.  All we had was the Players' Handbook at first, just making up monster stats on the fly.  We didn't even have any actual polyhedral dice.  We used 3d6 for task resolution rules.  After that, I played some B/X but preferred AD&D.  Eventually moved on to 2e AD&D and then played 3e and 3.5.  Five or six years ago, I discovered that I really disliked 3.5 D&D rules and started to go back to my roots running some 1e and 2e AD&D games.  Around that time I discovered the OSR movement and have followed it closely ever since.  I've purchased and played many of the D&D clones and D&D spin-offs including ACKS, Swords & Wizardry, OSRIC, Labyrinth Lord, Blood & Treasure, Crypts & Things, and of course AS&SH.  AS&SH hits the sweet spot for me.  I find the rules very similar to AD&D except cleaned up and clarified in all the right places.  The setting is the most evocative setting I've read in years.  The imagery is fantastic and the gazetteer entries are overflowing with adventure hooks.  This is the most excited I've been about a game in awhile.  I love it!

Its a beautiful thing.  Welcome Santaj!!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

3/24/2014 6:54 pm  #82

Welcome aboard, Santaj -- great story! 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

3/25/2014 2:53 pm  #83

Hello Everyone:

I have recently picked up the boxed set, and both the adventure books and I have ordered two more players books for my group to share. I have been gaming since Chainmail arrived in our local boardgame shop and have forgotten more games then I can mention. I am now runing a Pathfinder game at that same game store (Citidel Games in Groton Ct). But it is my advanced age or Pathfinder has too damn many rules, for me so I run it like 0 edition anyway.  I have told them that we will be switching to AS&SH soon and as the party is all human it should not cause to much of an uproar. 

Anyway It's good to be here

Aaron Davis

3/25/2014 3:14 pm  #84

Good to have you Aaron, and its not your age Pathfinder has too many rules:-)

Níu man ek heima, níu íviðjur,
mjötvið mæran fyr mold neðan.
(Völuspá)
(Nine worlds I knew,the nine in the tree with mighty roots beneath the mold)
Realmsofmelpomene

3/25/2014 6:06 pm  #85

Aaronhd wrote:

Hello Everyone:

I have recently picked up the boxed set, and both the adventure books and I have ordered two more players books for my group to share. I have been gaming since Chainmail arrived in our local boardgame shop and have forgotten more games then I can mention. I am now runing a Pathfinder game at that same game store (Citidel Games in Groton Ct). But it is my advanced age or Pathfinder has too damn many rules, for me so I run it like 0 edition anyway.  I have told them that we will be switching to AS&SH soon and as the party is all human it should not cause to much of an uproar. 

Anyway It's good to be here

Aaron Davis

Good to see a fellow nutmegger

3/25/2014 6:33 pm  #86

Aaronhd wrote:

I am now runing a Pathfinder game at that same game store (Citidel Games in Groton Ct).
Aaron Davis

Wow, that's a blast from the past! Is Pat Flory still the owner there? As a teen I used to hitch rides on his chartered buses to Origins.

Jeff

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

3/25/2014 7:20 pm  #87

Hi Jeff

Yes Pat still owns it and is playing with us. The store has moved four times now and is in a rear facing basement on Long Hill road in Groton. I have done a lot of gaming in all it's locations through the years.

Aaron

3/25/2014 8:49 pm  #88

Welcome Aaron!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

3/25/2014 8:52 pm  #89

-

Last edited by Antekos (3/09/2016 8:37 pm)

3/25/2014 9:03 pm  #90

Nice, Antekos - thanks for joining! Cool avatar.

3/25/2014 9:25 pm  #91

Yeah, sounds right, Antekos/C&D!

3/26/2014 3:46 am  #92

Aaronhd wrote:

Hi Jeff

Yes Pat still owns it and is playing with us. The store has moved four times now and is in a rear facing basement on Long Hill road in Groton. I have done a lot of gaming in all it's locations through the years.

Aaron

Good to know: I stopped in there a few years back when I was in the area, will have to do so again soonish. Thanks. 

Jeff

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

3/26/2014 1:05 pm  #93

Welcome, Aaronhd and Antekos! Great to see you fellows here. Have a seat at the bar, and let's have a pint!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

3/27/2014 1:46 pm  #94

Hey all!
Hey CnD!!
--Ron--

"No interruptions! I am El Jefe!"
[url=www.unseenservant.us]Unseen Servant[/url] for all your PbP needs.

3/29/2014 12:53 am  #95

Hello everyone. Just learned about the new forum nd had to get over here right away.
I use to be Mythos on the old forum, but decided that was no longer a good representation of the type of characters I now enjoy running.
Looking forward to getting back into the ASSOH family.

3/30/2014 5:52 pm  #96

My name is Chris. I've been gaming since the early 80's - RPGs, boardgames, and miniatures. I run a semi-regular AS&SoH campaign and I enjoy reading about other people's games.

3/30/2014 6:13 pm  #97

Hey Chris! Very nice meeting you in Morgan's game Thursday and glad to see you here.

Also, welcome aboard L'mur!

3/30/2014 7:58 pm  #98

Thanks, Chainsaw. It was good to meet you, too.

3/30/2014 10:14 pm  #99

Ditto Chris!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

3/31/2014 6:49 am  #100

Thanks, Morgan. I really enjoyed playing in your games this past weekend. I'm inspired to get my players back to Hyperborea.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.