!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/19/2014 5:54 pm  #41

Re: Karl Edward Wagner

I've started Midnight Sun, and my paperback copy of Night Winds is now superfluous (though it does sport a superior Frazetta cover).

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

4/04/2015 8:18 am  #42

Thanks to Chainsaw's generosity (he is an excellent fellow indeed!) I finished reading Darkness Weaves a few days ago. Certainly a fun mix of weird science and sword and sorcery, I enjoyed it quite a bit. I see Kane compared to Conan regularly, but what I found was a brawny, more murderous Elric - a fantastic mix.

Where Conan is definitely portrayed as a hero (regardless of his self-interest), Kane is much darker, not a "good guy" at all... really the least despicable in a cast of despicable leading roles. But for all that, he's an interesting character that keeps your interest. Kane has no interest in saving the girl, someone else can try to do that. Kane is busy plotting murder and reaping the rewards.

Great read, and again, Chainsaw's awesome. Looking forward to digging into more Kane after I finish up Swords Against Death.

So, Kane. Chaotic Evil?

Last edited by joseph (4/04/2015 8:19 am)

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

4/04/2015 1:27 pm  #43

CE/CN seems about right, but shades of N, too.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

4/04/2015 2:49 pm  #44

joseph wrote:

Thanks to Chainsaw's generosity (he is an excellent fellow indeed!)

Happy to share my extra copies! They're a bit worn, but good enough for reading.

I finished reading Darkness Weaves a few days ago. Certainly a fun mix of weird science and sword and sorcery, I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I need to read that one again. I've read Night Winds and Bloodstone many times, but the others just once and not recently.

I see Kane compared to Conan regularly, but what I found was a brawny, more murderous Elric - a fantastic mix. Where Conan is definitely portrayed as a hero (regardless of his self-interest), Kane is much darker, not a "good guy" at all... really the least despicable in a cast of despicable leading roles. But for all that, he's an interesting character that keeps your interest. Kane has no interest in saving the girl, someone else can try to do that. Kane is busy plotting murder and reaping the rewards.

Good insights. I think his immortality has made him callous and indifferent. He eventually sees everyone die and has for a long, long time. That experience has warped his judgement.

So, Kane. Chaotic Evil?

Hmmm... I think of him more as chaotic neutral, but definitely not heroic in any normal sense of the word. I'm trying to remember whether he's actually ever depicted killing an innocent non-combatant. I don't think so - except for presumably Able? As you say, most everyone seems to be pretty despicable. I would need to re-read everything to know for sure.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

7/13/2015 6:31 am  #45

I do not need this set, but I must have it! Great stories and gorgeous art. 

http://www.centipedepress.com/horror/kanesale.html

7/14/2015 3:53 am  #46

I curse your post! How can I justify this purchase? 

Maybe now copies of Gods in Darkness won't be so outlandishly priced. 

Thanks for the tip!

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."

7/14/2015 8:06 am  #47

rhialto wrote:

I curse your post! How can I justify this purchase? 

Hahaha! I had the same reaction when Kellri first posted the link at K&KA.

Maybe now copies of Gods in Darkness won't be so outlandishly priced. 

Nice thought!

7/14/2015 9:44 am  #48

Looks like a must-have! Thanks, Chainsaw!

7/14/2015 1:53 pm  #49

One-fifty for all five volumes (unsigned) doesn't sound that bad to me.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

7/15/2015 3:46 am  #50

You're right, I missed that detail. 

12/23/2015 8:10 am  #51

I just received my set of Centipede Press's exquisite republished Kane fiction.  Five hard cover volumes.  They are so beautiful that I almost fear to touch them.  Exceptionally well made.  Glorious art.  I highly recommend them.  This is how books are supposed to be made....except for the dust jackets.  Dust jackets aren't supposed to be works of art that cause one to pause before picking the book up.  /chuckle/

12/23/2015 10:30 am  #52

Very glad to hear this! I'm excited to receive mine. I check the front porch daily now hoping it arrives.

12/29/2015 9:26 pm  #53

Ordered mine. All from Amazon, at a $222 price tag. Got a $100 Amazon Gift Card for Xmas, then opened an Amazon card for a promotional $80 credit. Result: I'm getting the entire set for $42, free shipping. I'm so excited for this! I'm fairly new to KEW's Kane (though not some of his Year's Best Horror stories and his Conan novel), so I'm excited to read some of the Kane stories I've yet to read, and these books are going to look gloriously beautiful on a book shelf. I will carefully remove each dust jacket before reading. ;)

12/30/2015 4:01 am  #54

You're in for a treat: these are some of the best S&S fiction ever written...

12/30/2015 9:54 am  #55

I picked them up in old paperbacks, which I think I'm going to stick with rather than diving into collector's editions.

5/21/2017 10:02 am  #56

I just received an email update from Centipede Press.  They just found six complete sets of The Complete Kane volumes that they published last year.  $150.00/set  Contact them via jerad@centipedepress.com if you are interested.  They are not listed in the company's official catalog.  I get nothing from the sales, just sharing the news with folks who I know enjoy the Kane stories.

http://www.centipedepress.com/horror/kane.html

5/21/2017 6:27 pm  #57

It's an unbelievably beautiful set. I marvel at it from time to time. 

4/12/2019 7:46 am  #58

Just want to say that I applaud the entry of "Kaine" in the Swampgate write-up. I'll probably switch him to a Death-Lord, but well done!

4/12/2019 10:54 am  #59

rhialto wrote:

Just want to say that I applaud the entry of "Kaine" in the Swampgate write-up. I'll probably switch him to a Death-Lord, but well done!

Awesome little easter egg, right?!?

Truthfully, nothing in the system really fits an immortal - there are stories highlighting high levels of competency across any number of adventuring classes.

4/12/2019 10:58 am  #60

Chainsaw wrote:

rhialto wrote:

Awesome little easter egg, right?!?

Truthfully, nothing in the system really fits an immortal - there are stories highlighting high levels of competency across any number of adventuring classes.

True, but he's cursed with immortality (the deepest mystery...), and is frequently captured, febrile, debilitated, etc. I don't believe any of my players will recognize him, but we'll see this weekend... 

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.