!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/19/2015 12:52 pm  #1

National Gods of Hyperborea

One of the oft-mentioned features of Howard's Conan stories is the national gods of the different races, such as Mitra for the Hyborians, Set for the Stygians, and of course Crom for the Cimmerians.  This got me to thinking about the national gods (or what may be perceived as the national gods) of the various races and city-states of Hyperborea.  Not that every member of such a race would worship a single god, but that most would (or at least outsiders would think so).  Looking over the gazetteer I came up with the following list:

Amazons: Artemis
Atlanteans: ? (not really a good candidate - maybe Xathoqqua?)
Common Folk: Xathoqqua
Esquimaux: Kthulhu
Hyperboreans: Xathoqqua
Ixians: Yig
Kelts: Yoon'Deh
Kimmerians: Krimmr
Kimmeri-Kelts: ? (Krimmr?)
Picts: Tlakk-Nakka
Half Blood Picts: ? (Tlakk-Nakka? Xathoqqua?)
Vikings: Ymir
Khromarium: Xathoqqua
Kor: ? (Xathoqqua?)
Orcust: Thaumagorga
Port Zangerios: Rel
Yithorium: ? (Xathoqqua? Maybe Thaumagorga?)

I'd love suggestions for the questionable ones.  I think this will help me flesh out NPC's a little, with Vikings swearing "by Ymir's beard" and Kimmerians swearing "by the blood of Krimmr".  And of course the occasional NPC can worship a highly unlikely deity for humorous or dramatic effect.

Last edited by Blackadder23 (6/21/2015 8:07 pm)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/19/2015 11:43 pm  #2

Re: National Gods of Hyperborea

I'd say Rel would be the divine patron of Port Zangerios.

6/21/2015 8:06 pm  #3

kslacker wrote:

I would have said so too, but the gazetteer speaks of the "Xathoqquan orthodoxy" of the city.
Still, I suppose Rel could be perceived as the patron of Port Zangerios, and could be the most common subject of oaths by its citizens... plus it's my campaign anyway...
Good call!

Last edited by Blackadder23 (6/21/2015 8:08 pm)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

7/09/2015 11:59 am  #4

Blackadder23 wrote:

kslacker wrote:

I would have said so too, but the gazetteer speaks of the "Xathoqquan orthodoxy" of the city.
Still, I suppose Rel could be perceived as the patron of Port Zangerios, and could be the most common subject of oaths by its citizens... plus it's my campaign anyway...
Good call!

All things are masked in Port Zangeiros, after all . . .

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.