!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/02/2015 12:15 pm  #141

Re: Gary Con VII (2015)

mavfire wrote:

Handy, 

I came to your Forgotten Fane game on Friday night near the last hour or so, I sat in next to Jeff at the table and did not play. I remember your character "laying on hands" for a few aquired siver pieces or were they gold. I recall the Amazon warrior not being to happy about it either. Still, had a blast watching you guys game and have a great time. 

I guess I should have introduced myself a bit better, but i didnt want to interupt the fun.

As it was I networked alot, shopping my artwork around to different publishers that Jeff and Roy Snyder introduced me to (thanks jeff) and played in a 1st Ed Harold Johnson game (I was just too busy to play as many games as I wanted, but this was more of a business trip this year). I think next year I will have to register early and get into an AS&SH game.

It was great time, as I talked to alot of the bigs in the business, including Mentzer (Eldritch Ent.), both Gygax brothers, Jayson Elliot (Gygax Mag), Stephen Chenault (C&C) and many others. 

Gah--I totally failed to make the connection! You have to be pretty obvious in order to force information into my brain. I get the +2 bonus on saves vs. subtlety. Well, it was good to kind of meet you. We're out in west Michigan at least once a summer, so maybe we can grab a beer or something when next we come out--since you're so close to Beer City, USA!

Glad for you that you were able to make some connections at the Con!

Also, thieves be thieving, you know? Gotta play what it says on the sheet!

4/02/2015 1:27 pm  #142

Handy Haversack wrote:

I know, right?  I've seen people (usually but not always those who started with 2e) say things like "Just because you play a thief doesn't mean you steal things" or "Just because you play an assassin doesn't mean you murder people".  Uh yeah, it kind of does - that's what those words mean!  If you play a thief in my game, you're robbing innocent people in between adventures, and if you play an assassin you're cutting throats for hire.  That's how you hone your skills, just like a fighter practicing with weapons or a cleric praying.  If you don't like that kind of unsavory activity, play a different class!

Last edited by Blackadder23 (4/02/2015 1:28 pm)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

4/02/2015 2:31 pm  #143

Blackadder23 wrote:

Handy Haversack wrote:

I know, right?  I've seen people (usually but not always those who started with 2e) say things like "Just because you play a thief doesn't mean you steal things" or "Just because you play an assassin doesn't mean you murder people".  Uh yeah, it kind of does - that's what those words mean!  If you play a thief in my game, you're robbing innocent people in between adventures, and if you play an assassin you're cutting throats for hire.  That's how you hone your skills, just like a fighter practicing with weapons or a cleric praying.  If you don't like that kind of unsavory activity, play a different class!

You'd have loved what happened when I played a jester in Lige's AD&D game. Joke was on the town guard!

4/03/2015 3:23 pm  #144

Chainsaw wrote:

Ghul's Friday night Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess game

You know, I have been thinking about this picture.I don't know which particular terrible idea I was outlining, but Ghul looks shocked (shocked!)! It's like some perfect combination of mortified and terrified. Morterrized? The berserker at the end of the table is totally on to me. Mark on the far left corner has seen this road gone down before, clearly. And Jason the Assassin and crazy monk Gizmomathboy approve waaaaaaaaaaay too much. I mean, when those guys endorse an idea that much, you know we're headed off the rails--and something's gonna die.

What are BigPerm and Josh thinking? They have a subtle air of sitting back to watch the airshow's inevitable conclusion.

But, man, Ghul's face. Terrmortized. What the hell was I saying? It must have been awesome!

4/03/2015 8:04 pm  #145

Hmmm, time stamp on the image says 8pm. So that puts it post dino killing but I think before we got into the temple. So I'm guessing this is the "climb up the back side of the step pyramid" phase of the show. Which also involved killing/ambushing the patrol.

What? Me worry?

4/03/2015 8:19 pm  #146

Hah! That's the same look I give my wife when she's talking to me and I'm thinking about eating a sandwich. "Are you even listening to me?" ;)

I kid, I kid. Yeah, I think gizmo has it right. That is after the dino encounter and just as you folk were approaching the temple.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

4/03/2015 9:02 pm  #147

Handy, no matter the truth, I want to believe that's when you thief's like, "Yeah, I lay hands on berserker" and Jeff's thinking "WTF?"

What's great to me is that now that I know your voice and mannerisms, I know *exactly* how to read your posts  - and every one is hilarious.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

4/03/2015 11:43 pm  #148

Chainsaw wrote:

Handy, no matter the truth, I want to believe that's when you thief's like, "Yeah, I lay hands on berserker" and Jeff's thinking "WTF?"

What's great to me is that now that I know your voice and mannerisms, I know *exactly* how to read your posts - and every one is hilarious.

You know he was still thinking about the sandwich, though. It's going to be hard to take him seriously from now on. "Ghul, do you need a minute alone with the sandwich?"

Look, when the thief offers to heal you, you really have two choices. I'll roll either way. In Brooklyn, we're all ballers. Also in the tropical parts of Hyperborea.

Though, honestly, self-esteem-wise, it is good to know that that's not my expression about killing the grandparents who worked in the kitchen. I mean, I'm a reasonable guy--but I've done . . . questionable things.

4/03/2015 11:45 pm  #149

gizmomathboy wrote:

Hmmm, time stamp on the image says 8pm. So that puts it post dino killing but I think before we got into the temple. So I'm guessing this is the "climb up the back side of the step pyramid" phase of the show. Which also involved killing/ambushing the patrol.

Right: "Jeff, do you think we can kill them before they know they're dead? Well, that's our plan."

4/12/2015 5:36 pm  #150

Cool!!  Love the photo, I see a little Island map in the middle there too

Build it, and they will come.

4/12/2015 7:02 pm  #151

MonkeyBlood wrote:

Cool!!  Love the photo, I see a little Island map in the middle there too

Indeed! Your handiwork was quite enjoyed, I believe!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

6/04/2015 11:12 am  #152

Change of venue just announced for GaryCon next year. Jump on it!

6/04/2015 11:45 am  #153

Posted on the Gary Con boards...

Gary Con VIII Announced!

Gary Con is retracing the path of Gen Con by holding our celebration at the Grand Geneva Resort March 3rd to 6th, 2016. If you didn't already know, the Grand Geneva (formerly The Playboy Club) was the site of Gen Con X. The new venue will allow us to expand our footprint significantly while retaining the atmosphere and features we've developed over the past seven years.

Reserve your room now by calling the Grand Geneva at 855-833-5345 or simply click on the link below.

6/04/2015 2:16 pm  #154

Gonna be a lot of web traffic between north Texas and Wisconsin over the next couple of days.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.