!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/27/2015 5:02 pm  #1

General Praise for AS&SH

Last night (after a two week break) we had our 5th session of AS&SH. I feel like the system is really clicking for me, and two phase combat is feeling a lot more natural.

Prior to playing AS&SH the majority of my group had not played any "old school" games. A few of us had. Convincing them to switch from Pathfinder to AS&SH felt like a pretty big task but I've had some good feedback from it. One of my players said last night "I actually like how deadly it is". This is the week directly following the death of his prior character. The others have commented on various things they enjoy about it too - seemingly to overall satisfaction.

I feel like the illustrations and the assumed setting really enables a vibe that I've found hard to attain with other games. It's strange but the removal of demis makes a big difference in my opinion. There's more of an "aloneness" felt among humanity, rather than knowing they may have other racial allies. Again, mechanically the group has had to get their heads around the different conventions but they have picked it up quickly. I like how you can customise it so readily and add a tasteful level of granularity without bogging down the game in junk. To me it's a really good revision/innovation on AD&D, and it cleans up a lot of the system's ambiguities without detracting from its roots. The classes seem pretty balanced against each other thus far (you guys were right about the berserker!). It's a lot of the small rules that I find myself really enjoying - healing, armour's damage reduction etc.

So thanks Jeff! I'm glad you put this rule set together. 

5/27/2015 9:46 pm  #2

Re: General Praise for AS&SH

That's all very kind of you to say, Corey, and I truly appreciate it. I love reading about your campaign, and I look forward to working with you in the future. I'm delighted to hear the game is going over well with your friends. Very nice post, thank you.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

5/27/2015 9:53 pm  #3

No problem Jeff!

5/28/2015 7:09 am  #4

That was a really nice post, Corey. Thanks for sharing it with us all!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

5/28/2015 7:13 am  #5

Thanks Chainsaw

5/28/2015 7:19 am  #6

Thanks for sharing your experiences, Corey. I think you've described how alot of us feel about this game!

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

5/28/2015 4:02 pm  #7

It is likely I'm preaching to the converted, but I had a mini epiphany after last session. It was basically "this game is even cooler than I already thought it was"!

5/29/2015 9:48 am  #8

Agreed!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

5/29/2015 10:26 pm  #9

Corey,

Truer words have never been spoken. This is great game and I think the human centric thing might be the best part....Well that and the multi-classes being their own classes. You have made me want to restart my AS&SH campaign.

5/29/2015 10:33 pm  #10

PortlyFighter wrote:

Truer words have never been spoken. This is great game and I think the human centric thing might be the best part....Well that and the multi-classes being their own classes.

Very true.  If I ever run AD&D again I will probably convert all multiclasses to classes.  It saves so many headaches and eliminates so many ambiguities.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/01/2015 9:40 pm  #11

Blackadder23 wrote:

Very true.  If I ever run AD&D again I will probably convert all multiclasses to classes.  It saves so many headaches and eliminates so many ambiguities.

In Dragonsfoot's ezine Footprints issue 2 there is an article on making all of the AD&D classes into multiclasses just like AS&SH. That should save you some work.

6/01/2015 11:02 pm  #12

PortlyFighter wrote:

In Dragonsfoot's ezine Footprints issue 2 there is an article on making all of the AD&D classes into multiclasses just like AS&SH. That should save you some work.

Great!  I love being saved work.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.