!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/18/2015 5:10 am  #1

Chasm of the Faceless King

This mini-adventure was originally written back in 2008 for the "Tower of Gygax" event at Gen Con. I brought it back to life for North Texas RPG Con last year, and now I'm formalizing it for a Gary Con VII special edition release. It was originally a 1e adventure, but it's been adjusted for OSRIC. I plan to put it up for sale after Gary Con. Thanks!

Last edited by Ghul (3/18/2015 5:36 am)

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

3/18/2015 5:32 am  #2

Re: Chasm of the Faceless King

Sweet, thanks! I look forward to getting this one, even though I have already played it - and lived! :-)

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

3/18/2015 5:36 am  #3

Thanks, Chain!

3/18/2015 5:58 am  #4

Chainsaw wrote:

Sweet, thanks! I look forward to getting this one, even though I have already played it - and lived! :-)

3/18/2015 7:16 am  #5

Ha! Keeping this one up your sleeve, Jeff? Sounds great, and that's a nasty cover by Del!

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

3/18/2015 7:28 am  #6

Chainsaw wrote:

That's how the Faceless King lost his arm!

Looks cool, Jeff!

3/18/2015 10:38 am  #7

Looks pretty cool!

3/18/2015 4:05 pm  #8

Just curious, since I'm late to the game...is ASSH based primarily on OSRIC, and is this module compatible with Hyperborea?
Sorry if this is a dead horse...

3/18/2015 5:13 pm  #9

Three words: WHEN and HOW MUCH.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

3/18/2015 7:13 pm  #10

famouswolf wrote:

Just curious, since I'm late to the game...is ASSH based primarily on OSRIC, and is this module compatible with Hyperborea?
Sorry if this is a dead horse...

famouswolf, OSRIC™ and AS&SH™ were both inspired and informed by the same old-school FRPG roots from the 1970s. The systems do have subtle differences, but I think you'll find Chasm of the Faceless King™ easily adaptable to AS&SH™, in both mechanics and tone.

3/18/2015 8:42 pm  #11

Thanks for the kind words, fellows, and thanks to DMP for the well-informed response to famouswolf. BA23, I'll have them for sale sometime after the con. I'll let everyone here know about it. It will be $8.00. My biggest problem right now -- and this is what's prevented the KS launch -- is that I'm in the middle of moving. (Anyone who's done this recently can sympathize, I'm sure.) We close on the sale of our house and the purchase of the new house on Friday, and then it's back to work on Monday, and then off to Gary Con on Wednesday. It's completely impinged on my ability to launch the KS, but there is a silver lining to it it all: In the time that has been sucked away from me, John Bingham has continued to knock out piece after piece of fantastic art. Also, Del Teigeler has done over a dozen pieces, too!

3/18/2015 9:09 pm  #12

I saw this on Facebook, and instantly decided I need it. How many pages is it Jeff? Depending on whether any are left, and when the Kickstarter for the other three modules begins I may have to do a bulk order of all four

One can never have too much AS&SH. 

3/19/2015 5:21 am  #13

Thank you, RB, I do appreciate that. It's a mini-adventure, likely plugged into another dungeon delve, or perhaps used as a one-shot for some gaming fun with your buddies. It's 12 pages long, and one of those pages is the OGL statement, but there is a decent amount of text in it. I hope you like it!

Best,
Jeff T.

3/19/2015 11:55 pm  #14

Nice! Relatively comparable in size to Charnel Crypt

3/20/2015 8:43 pm  #15

Rastus_Burne wrote:

Ahh, I don't think I'd say that. Charnel Crypt has a lot more meat to it; a complete adventure, as it were, even if it is smallish. Chasm is like a mini-scenario that you could plug into something bigger, or perhaps use it on its own as a one-shot with your gaming pals. There is a decent amount of text in its pages, though. I hope you like it!

3/21/2015 5:22 pm  #16

What a fun cover to do too.How often does an artist get to go wild on a pile of excrement! (er...demon). I am totally looking forward to meeting Jeff at Gary Con. It has been a real pleasure to work with/for him. What a stand-up guy. 

Del Teigeler, Illustrator
mavfire.blogspot.com
mavfire.deviantart.com

3/22/2015 8:45 am  #17

mavfire wrote:

What a fun cover to do too.How often does an artist get to go wild on a pile of excrement! (er...demon). I am totally looking forward to meeting Jeff at Gary Con. It has been a real pleasure to work with/for him. What a stand-up guy. 

And it is a pleasure to work with you as well, Del. I look forward to working with you a lot going forward, if you are available and have the time.

3/22/2015 4:13 pm  #18

Ghul wrote:

Rastus_Burne wrote:

Ahh, I don't think I'd say that. Charnel Crypt has a lot more meat to it; a complete adventure, as it were, even if it is smallish. Chasm is like a mini-scenario that you could plug into something bigger, or perhaps use it on its own as a one-shot with your gaming pals. There is a decent amount of text in its pages, though. I hope you like it!

I meant page count more than content, but I do see what you mean. We should be kicking off our AS&SH campaign in a few weeks. Once the party gets a few levels on them I may have to throw this in somewhere. 

3/22/2015 10:47 pm  #19

Rastus_Burne wrote:

We should be kicking off our AS&SH campaign in a few weeks.

Make them die screaming.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

3/22/2015 11:35 pm  #20

Blackadder23 wrote:

Rastus_Burne wrote:

We should be kicking off our AS&SH campaign in a few weeks.

Make them die screaming.

That's the plan Stan!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.