!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/23/2015 8:34 pm  #61

Re: Game Lab 1 - Sabres & Witchery- Forêt de vers [Game Thread]

Handy Haversack wrote:

Axe-crate-torch-dive into cart.

OOC: Can you clarify your action a bit. I don't want to get it wrong

I filled my palace with deadly traps so trap admirers will come and visit me

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

1/23/2015 8:50 pm  #62

Scalydemon wrote:

Handy Haversack wrote:

Axe-crate-torch-dive into cart.

OOC: Can you clarify your action a bit. I don't want to get it wrong

Sure--sorry!

I'll smash a crate open with the axe and then jab the torch into the hole--then jump like hell into a cart for cover. Hopefully this works by blowing up the monster and not us.

1/24/2015 4:32 pm  #63

Initiative rolls:
fiend 3
Dupont 8
Boris 7

Dupont fires his pistol at the Fiend as he jumps sideways towards a rubble pile. Rolls 10 misses over it's head.

Boris, smashes his ax down on a nearby crate *secret DM roll* - He manages to get a large gash into the crate, but the lid is nailed down - and it doesn't open enough for you to light anything this round or see what is inside. Looks like this manuever will take another round to complete.

As he comes to this realization , standing near the crate with ax and torch out, the Fiend lunges at him again with  clawed talons, atk rolls 5, 15. Scrapes him across the neck for 10 dmg (ouch!)

That's the end of round 2. The fiend stands near Boris and a few crates looking menacing, tail still twitching erratically behind him.
Dupont is behind a small rubble pile with his gun still smoking.

The portal in the east of the room continues to pulse and throb, washing the room with a dim green glow.

What would you like to do next?

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

1/24/2015 6:07 pm  #64

Well, I guess I'll continue with my plan. Remember me fondly, Dupont. I'll try to avoid the fiend, light the explosives, and dive for cover--in whatever order seems sensible!

1/25/2015 5:59 pm  #65

"merde... Boris, keep him distracted."

I start reloading my pistol whilst considering the best route to the source of the dim green glow. If only i could close whatever unnatural source that thing is. I try to keep out of the beasts attention but move toward the portal.

1/26/2015 1:32 am  #66

Initiative rolls
Fiend 2
Boris 16
Dupont 17

Dupont gets up from his near prone position and starts running towards the portal making it most of the way there as he tries to fidget with his pistol along the way. The portal is hard to look at (sort of like staring at the sun), it appears to be a part of the wall (maybe they mined into the wall and uncovered it? you surmise). You end your movement near the high-backed bone throne.

Boris forcefullly yanks his ax from the crate, in doing so most of what comprised the lid comes off. Inside are stacks of black dynamite sticks with fuses. You touch the dying lit torch to them, hear a 'fizzle' noise and try and dodge off to the right near where Dupont hid behind some rubble.

The Fiend seems more concerned with Dupont and the portal as he suddenly spreads his membranous black wings out and wraps them around his body...

As he does this, the crate expodes...BOOOM! in bone jarring intensity.
Fiend save vs EXPLOSION (DEX save), rolls a 3 (fail), takes the full damage.
Damage roll 6d6 = 20 damage.

The black fiend is knocked back while he wraps himself in his wings. Suddenly his form dissapears as you peer on in horror.
*pop* his shattered form suddenly re-appears next to the portal, behind the throne.
It is still and smoldering. It's arms and legs spasm and twitch slightly

Boris's ears are ringing enough so he temporarily can't hear. Dupont is knocked down from the concussion.

1/26/2015 7:11 am  #67

Cut off its damn head to make sure it doesn't rise again!

1/27/2015 8:48 am  #68

I pull out my hand weapon (i think its also a hand axe but i forget) and attempt to lop the creatures head off (d20=9, not having much luck in this game)..

1/27/2015 10:36 am  #69

Not sure about the first-aid rules, but I will attempt to give it to myself.

Last edited by Handy Haversack (1/27/2015 10:36 am)

1/27/2015 9:16 pm  #70

Boris tries to staunch the gaping blood coming from his neck and upper torso. Regains 1hp.

Dupont staggers up from the ground and takes an awkward swing down at the Fiend's black rubbery neck. The ax blades bites into it about an inch. You can see the creature's wounds from the explosion beginning to slowly reform before your eyes.

The green glowing, nebula filled portal , some 15' from you continues to pulsate and throb. It seems to have a push/pull sensation that you can feel even at this distance. It gives off a deep humming noise.

1/27/2015 10:33 pm  #71

Evil must be over come and some times that requires sacrifice. Dupont attempts to man handle the beast into the portal, throwing himself in with it if necessary.

1/28/2015 7:18 am  #72

Boris will help, hooking the thing's legs to trip it as Dupont pushes.

1/29/2015 12:40 am  #73

The glowing green  portal pulses rythmically before Dupont as he stows his ax and grabs hold of the black rubbery Demon by a shoulder.

It's like dragging a heavy hose filled with water. The body feels sickly cold and clammy to the touch. It's flesh malleable to your grip in a macabre fashion.

After a round - Boris makes his way across the room and tries assisting, meanwhile the form of the fiend continues re-forming. The portal seems to draw you in as you get closer.

Can you both roll a d20 for me as a Saving throw/STR check and post results please?

1/29/2015 7:21 am  #74

Here we go... d20 = 12

1/29/2015 8:24 am  #75

And the desk d20 says . . . 15!

Yay?

1/30/2015 12:02 am  #76

OOC: Dupont barely makes his save, needs a base 13, +1 STR bonus = 12, Boris needed a 13 with no STR bonus, passes with a 15

Game:
Dupont gives a final heave rolling his shoulder under the Fiend's  - and right up into the glowing, throbbing portal. Boris tries to aid the push, but also try and keep Dupont from slipping in.

The draw from the portal becomes much stronger as you get inches from it. The Fiend is suddenly sucked in with a noticeable 'slurping' sound, then a 'pop' and it dissapears.

Dupont starts to get drawn in himself, before Boris grabs firmly onto his arm and has to drag him back away. You both fall from the effort and land a few feet away from the portal near the high-backed bone throne.

As the adrenaline starts to subside , Boris discovers he is in a lot of pain.

Dupont needs to make a Sanity check from his brief glimpse into the Portal/Otherworld.
Save vs WIS, he has a +1 WIS bonus so needs a 12 or higher, rolls a 15 passes.

1/30/2015 7:13 am  #77

"And stay the hell out of France!"

Is more first aid possible, or have we exhausted our abilities?

1/30/2015 2:05 pm  #78

"Boris, we need some cognac, but first we should search this area for any evidence of what brought about this darkness."

Dupont beings to search the walls and poke through the piles of debris, are there any strange markings, artefacts or signs of unusual activity? Whilst doing this he absent mindly reloads his weapons and daubs at the bruises on his body.

1/30/2015 2:09 pm  #79

And is there any dynamite left unexploded? Any way to rig it so the portal could be sealed? Any cloth we could drape over the portal? Any cognac?

1/30/2015 11:46 pm  #80

You find nothing else of real interest in this room, except more mining tools in various states of decay and 3 full crates of dynamite and one partial crate.

You lug the crates to the freight elevator, figure out (after a few minutes) how to operate the contraption to go up. Take a creaky , sometimes squealing ride back up the dizzying heights. It clangs to a stop. You end up blowing the entrance shut with a series of blasts. Hopefully forever sealing it. Neither of you has any eyebrows left.

As you head back through the Forêt de vers, now late afternoon you notice something odd. The sun has broken through the normal dismal layer of clouds. Your faces get a momentary bask in the warm rays as you descend a forested hilltop down a path.

At the maison, Audric greets you and looks over your bloodied forms, but sees their is  joy in your eyes. As you tell him your tale he insists on breaking out long saved bottles of good local Champagne and you sup on some mutton and hard bread.

You stay a peaceful week in the house, days you will remember. And eventually trace your way back through the contrysides, collect the remainder of your reward and part ways.... The end.

OOC: Hey thanks for playing in the game. I had a lot of fun running it. I'd be up for being a player if anyone else had something they wanted to run.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.