!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/31/2014 4:40 pm  #1

A Red and Pleasant Land

Hey, all,

I posted a review of this game product over on Dragonsfoot:

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=38&p=1591722#p1591722

I didn't want to rewrite it to make it specifically Hyperborean, but you know me: my game is in Hyperborea. As I mention, I think the realm described here is totally insertable into Hyperborea. It's not S&S. It's not like any game setting I've encountered before. But it is weird and fits with the general weird vibe of Hyperborea. In my mind, it's the place all the gods collaborated on making and then turned their backs on in disgust when they saw how their pettiness and general warpedness had twisted the results. Then the vampires moved in.

I really recommend it strongly. Fantastic product.

Happy New Year!

1/08/2015 2:44 pm  #2

Re: A Red and Pleasant Land

I know Zak S. is sort of a controversial figure for some, but man he is super creative. This and Vornheim are some of my favorite RPG products I've ever picked up. His take on the "Alice" story/myth is pretty ingenious. For my gameworld, I placed it in the "Dreamlands," which alleviates some of decision making about how it fits in geographically and thematically with the rest of the world.

1/08/2015 4:49 pm  #3

Seems to have received good feedback so far. I know Mythmere liked it and capitalbill mentioned he thought it was interesting as well.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

1/08/2015 10:44 pm  #4

I was thinking of tucking it up on the other side of the river Yys! I think it's brilliant. I didn't want to post the review here since it was on DF, but I think the crowd here is more receptive, honestly. DF just needs it more.

Anyway. My players just hit level 2, so it's a ways off. And I feel like the newfound sense of power is going to be dangerous . . .

1/13/2015 2:23 pm  #5

I think Red & Pleasant Land would make a very interesting Dreamlands location in an AS&SH Hyperborian campaign.

1/13/2015 7:19 pm  #6

Looking forward to reading the review! Thanks for posting, Handy.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

1/14/2015 7:31 am  #7

Sure! I'm thinking about making a connection to RPL part of the megadungeon surrounds that I posted in the Adventure board.

4/07/2015 2:25 am  #8

I ordered this a week or two ago. I'm very much looking forward to digging in. It comes with a free PDF download and I can't get enough of it aready. I hate reading from a computer screen, but this is a very creative piece. 

4/07/2015 7:32 am  #9

You definitely won't regret having the physical book. It's a well-wrought thing, really well put together.

Yeah, I still can't recommend this one enough.

4/07/2015 1:06 pm  #10

You may have convinced me - I probably will have to wait until I finish my taxes before I start sending my Euros to Finland though.

4/07/2015 3:39 pm  #11

lige wrote:

You may have convinced me - I probably will have to wait until I finish my taxes before I start sending my Euros to Finland though.

It leaves a mark, that's for sure. But I'm a cheap, cheap man, and I wouldn't recommend it if I didn't think it was worth it.
Edit: Noble Knight does say they have some on order, so that might prove cheaper.

Last edited by Handy Haversack (4/07/2015 3:40 pm)

5/29/2015 10:31 pm  #12

I was able to get my R&PL through Noble Knight games if you don't want to order from overseas. It is a beautiful physical product and is some of the coolest rpg content I have ever seen. I don't know if I would be able to put it in Hyperborea per se, but some kind of portal or mirror access is quite possible. Throw in a portal to Carcosa and your players will be begging to be back in Hyperborea.

6/04/2015 8:29 am  #13

PortlyFighter wrote:

I was able to get my R&PL through Noble Knight games if you don't want to order from overseas. It is a beautiful physical product and is some of the coolest rpg content I have ever seen. I don't know if I would be able to put it in Hyperborea per se, but some kind of portal or mirror access is quite possible. Throw in a portal to Carcosa and your players will be begging to be back in Hyperborea.

Well said! Check out Yoon-Suin, too, for more portal destinations.

6/10/2015 8:31 am  #14

I already have Yoon Suin and it is an amazing product! If nothing else it will give you plenty of inspiration as to how to connect your PCs to the world and the people around them.

6/10/2015 1:17 pm  #15

I have found some LotFP products to be five pounds of... material... in a twenty pound bag, but this sounds very interesting and flavorful.  I'll have to check it out.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/10/2015 11:58 pm  #16

+1 for the Yoon-Suin recommendation. It's a very worthwhile piece, as is A Red & Pleasant Land.

Chris Kutalik is publishing Fever-Dreaming Marlinko in the next few weeks. That one is worth getting your hands on too! Some great ideas therein, and fits an AS&SH vibe pretty well. 

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.