!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/10/2014 5:21 am  #21

Re: Sleep

Scalydemon wrote:

rhialto wrote:

Scalydemon wrote:

An add on thought on the broader topic of magic systems.

For me, the ideal magic system is one more akin to Stormbringer and Hawkmoon (Chaosium) as opposed to D&D based Vancian - especially when playing a sword & sorcery type game.

I'll once more plug Akratic Wizardry and its variant magic rules: they work really well with AS&SH, and are similar to Stormbringer's feel. 

Not familiar with Akratic Wizardry, do you have a link? Thanks

Sure: http://akraticwizardry.blogspot.com/2009/07/swords-sorcery-house-rules-index.html

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

12/10/2014 8:35 pm  #22

rhialto wrote:

Scalydemon wrote:

rhialto wrote:

I'll once more plug Akratic Wizardry and its variant magic rules: they work really well with AS&SH, and are similar to Stormbringer's feel. 

Not familiar with Akratic Wizardry, do you have a link? Thanks

Sure: http://akraticwizardry.blogspot.com/2009/07/swords-sorcery-house-rules-index.html

Thanks for the link.I was thinking it was a game system and not a blog.
What a cool blog! I wish I had more free time to read some of these blogs, maybe if I had a clone or simulacrum of myself..
I will check that post and that blog out more in detail soon

Last edited by Scalydemon (12/10/2014 8:47 pm)

I filled my palace with deadly traps so trap admirers will come and visit me

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

12/11/2014 7:57 pm  #23

Well, those compiled rules were used in Crypts & Things, so close to a "system". My players are keen on the hit point variant; the magic variant not so much, since they like to blast things. 

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

1/12/2015 12:23 pm  #24

Well, three PCs in my group now memorize sleep whenever possible! It's a real chiller in the dungeon. Until, of course, undead or robots come at them!

I am a little tempted to use the AD&D table. It tones sleep down just a touch by focusing on number instead of HD--really by incorporating HD pluses into the next higher tier rather than the base tier as the AS&SH version does. But I'm also loathe to start in with the houserules just because then everyone has to remember it rather than having a common frame of reference . . .

Ghul, any insight into why you adjusted the HD mechanics of sleep?

1/12/2015 1:37 pm  #25

Some suggestions:

Use undead, use more monsters, spread the monsters out so sleep won't get many of them, use one or two monsters that have enough HD to be immune instead of many weak monsters, have monsters launch their attacks from out of sleep range (missiles, boulders rolled down hills, etc.), create wimpy versions of automatons to use on low level characters (the living statues and golems from B/X can provide good inspiration for these).

Also use more traps!  Sleep doesn't help with those.

Last edited by Blackadder23 (1/12/2015 1:39 pm)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

1/12/2015 1:46 pm  #26

Coffee elementals!

Oh, I know. This was their first foray since everyone loaded up with sleep, and they went back to a megadungeon that I didn't have time (or inclination, really) to adjust to their tactics. I'm sure that they'll get into trouble soon enough--I just felt like at 2d8 HD, there was nothing anywhere close by they weren't going to be able to tuck in--until they angried up the robots!

1/12/2015 2:51 pm  #27

I think sleep is one of the reasons Gary had humanoids attacking in waves in a lot of his modules (first the orc guards, then the orc reinforcements, then the ogre who lives down the hall, then the orc chief and his bodyguards).  PCs have to burn a separate spell on each wave, or else dirty their hands by actually fighting.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.