!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/28/2014 3:36 pm  #1

Gene Wolfe

I have just finished the 4th book in the New Sun and am starting Soldier of the Mist.

Anyone read any Wolfe? What did you think.

From a Fantasist point of view his ideas have influenced the development of my campaign quite a bit.

11/28/2014 3:43 pm  #2

Re: Gene Wolfe

Actually, the last Gene Wolfe I read was Soldier of the Mist. Started off a little slow, but it was a great novel.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

11/28/2014 9:03 pm  #3

I read the five volumes of The Book of the New Sun back in the day.  Loved them.  I've yet to read the following stories in that sequence, although I do have them.  I love his style of writing and the world that he was able to invoke.

Last edited by ThornPlutonius (11/28/2014 9:04 pm)

11/28/2014 9:33 pm  #4

I tried to read these books as a kid and couldn't get into the story for some reason, but all kinds of good guys love them, so they're on my short list.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

11/29/2014 10:30 am  #5

Yeah, I have read a bunch of Wolfe, spanning most of his career. He's a really interesting case. His style can by so smooth and natural-seeming that it's easy to miss some of the weirdness that's going on. I also go back and forth on whether he's an artichoke or an onion in terms of whether there's a core of some intended "meaning" under the layers or whether he's more a Vancian stylist where the layers are the point. I think the Book of the New Sun is definitely his masterwork. The Soldier or Arete books are great, though, and the Book of the Long Sun and Book of the Short Sun are both totally fascinating if somehow a little less satisfying. His recent stuff, like An Evil Guest is also good, though it sometimes feels like he's excercising his style more than anything else. The Fifth Head of Cerberus is fantastic, and Seven American Nights is really good. I'd like to see him and Christopher Priest in some sort of literary cage match someday!

12/14/2014 11:10 am  #6

My acquisitions from yesterday. I popped my Gene Wolfe cherry last night. Interesting writing style. I am looking fwd to reading more

I filled my palace with deadly traps so trap admirers will come and visit me

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

1/10/2020 2:48 pm  #7

For weird adventure gaming purposes, I think both the New Sun and Short Sun are invaluable. I’ve read New Sun twice, and just got through Long Sun last summer. That means I’m on the borders of the Short Sun, which promises to involve vampiric aliens on a new world recently colonized by a human generation ship. I expect I shall not be disappointed!

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.