!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/06/2014 8:59 am  #1

Gary Con VII (2015)

Sounds like initial registration begins in the next couple of days. Dale said he hoped it would be today, but he also said he'd post an announcement and I haven't see anything yet. Last year the VIP-game badges sold out quickly, if that matters to anyone.

Who plans on attending this year? I'll be there (barring any last minute work issues).

Attendees
capitalbill
Chainsaw
francisca
Ghul
Handy Haversack
Iron Ranger
Joe Mac

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

11/06/2014 3:24 pm  #2

Re: Gary Con VII (2015)

I'm coming. Though I'm having trouble logging in to the Gary Con site right now. Is anyone else?

11/06/2014 4:11 pm  #3

Heard from the admin team, actually--they are working on it.

So, any advice, from the sorcerers and swordsmen? I've never been to a con, not since I was a kid, at least. What's a good strategy? How many games should one try to get in a day--is it wise to avoid overbooking in order to save time for drinking and socializing? Can those be combined with the games? I def. want to play some AS&SH, maybe Gamma World or Metamorphosis Alpha, some O/AD&D. Should one angle for the VIP DMs or just dive in blind?

Are there spots reserved in Ghul's game for people with, say, 600 posts on the AS&SH forum?

Any advice on level of badge to get?

Thanks.

11/07/2014 6:25 pm  #4

Handy Haversack wrote:

Any advice on level of badge to get?

If you want to play in the Elder Statesmens' games (Kuntz, Mentzer, Kask, Wham, etc), then you will want one of the badges that includes Gold Points. I got the one with 5GP and 30SP, mainly just in case one of the higher-profile, non-TSR people wind up on the VIP list, like Jeff, grodog or Paul Stormberg. It's not always clear whether those guys will be considered VIPs or not, but they're all awesome referees. I've played in all the Elder Statesmen games I need to, so I personally wouldn't get Gold Points for that reason.

Handy Haversack wrote:

How many games should one try to get in a day--is it wise to avoid overbooking in order to save time for drinking and socializing? Can those be combined with the games?

The first few years, I packed my schedule with 3-4 games a day - there were a lot of referees on my bucket list. It can be a little grueling, though, especially if you want to stay up late drinking. Shots at midnight and then games from 8AM-11PM can be a tough combo. Not terribly relaxing. Now I shoot for maybe two four-hour scheduled games a day, like maybe 10AM-2PM and 8PM-12AM or 2PM-6PM and 8PM-12AM. I like sleeping in and going to breakfast in town because I drink a lot. Also, I usually don't schedule anything Thursday night as that has, for me, been a drinking with friends pick-up game night. Part of it kinda depends on what your friends are doing. If a bunch of guys are going out to dinner in town one night, you might not want to schedule a game then. Talking to your peeps ahead of time and trying to coordinate is a good idea.

As far as drinking at the table, it's all referee-specific. I always ask and it's almost never an issue. Needless to say, if you want to be s***-faced, then that's different. Probably not going to be well-received unless it's a pick-up game with your pals in the bar.

I def. want to play some AS&SH, maybe Gamma World or Metamorphosis Alpha, some O/AD&D. Should one angle for the VIP DMs or just dive in blind?

All depends on who's running it. Just PM me once the schedule comes out in Jan/Feb. I'll call you and we can go through everything.

11/08/2014 11:02 am  #5

Besides me (of course!), Rich Franks (francisca) and Morgan Hazel (mabon) may run a little AS&SH. They both do a fantastic job. In fact, I've had customers come to my vending booth to buy the game after they've played in sessions with those gentlemen, so that says a lot right there!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

11/08/2014 11:22 am  #6

Ghul wrote:

Besides me (of course!), Rich Franks (francisca) and Morgan Hazel (mabon) may run a little AS&SH. They both do a fantastic job.

Seconded! I have played in Rich and Morgan's games. They're both great guys and great referees.

11/08/2014 1:30 pm  #7

I'll be there, accompanied by my cohort of jackbooted thugs!  We remedied last year's room failure by reserving rooms at the Lodge as soon as they'd take reservations for next year... So in 2015 we'll be able to drink like the large, thirsty men we are.  I'm hoping to see Chainsaw's forehead head actually strike the table in front of him. 

Advice for Handy: as you've surmised, it's definitely wise to avoid overbooking. There are always games you can fall into spontaneously, because some other schmuck spread himself too thin and is still in bed, hung over... (I might've been said schmuck, my first year.)

We usually arrive thursday afternoon and leave sunday noon, and in 72 hours at the Con I'll schedule myself for no more than 4 games.  Even if I play in just one 4+ hour game per day, I'm happy, because I'm able to catch up with pals and enjoy hanging out in and around the town.

If anyone is interested: we always do a night of prowling blues clubs in Chicago (where we fly in/out), either on Wednesday or Sunday night. Always a great time.

11/08/2014 11:51 pm  #8

I'm in! Even managed to register for a badge before everything went screwy.

Joe Mac wrote:

So in 2015 we'll be able to drink like the large, thirsty men we are.  I'm hoping to see Chainsaw's
forehead head actually strike the table in front of him.  

Awww, hell. Another raucous night of pitchers and shots.

Chainsaw wrote:

Seconded! I have played in Rich and Morgan's games. They're both great guys and great referees.

Thirded!

Every year I tell myself that I will sign up for fewer games- both to take it a little slower and because I have crossed somebody off the bucket list. But every year there are more games that I want to get in than I have time to do so. And, with a few exceptions the guys I wanted to cross off the list are so great I just keep adding them right back on.

11/09/2014 4:57 pm  #9

capitalbill wrote:

Joe Mac wrote:

So in 2015 we'll be able to drink like the large, thirsty men we are.  I'm hoping to see Chainsaw's forehead actually strike the table in front of him.  

Awww, hell. Another raucous night of pitchers and shots.

Haha! I will see what I can do to oblige. 

11/10/2014 11:29 am  #10

Sounds great, guys. Chainsaw, I will def. be in touch. I'm bringing one of my players and a friend from Michigan along.

11/12/2014 3:53 pm  #11

Gold badge snagged between suspensions! See you there!

11/12/2014 3:58 pm  #12

Iron Ranger wrote:

Gold badge snagged between suspensions! See you there!

Great! Looking forward to meeting you.

12/05/2014 11:06 am  #13

So, there's been some progress with GaryCon lately. Got my swanky Gold Badge!

Question for you guys who have been before, though. I started kicking around the idea of running a game--maybe the new Death Frost Doom using AS&SH rules. But then I realized that there's no way of knowing when anything else is scheduled, and it would suck to find I had picked a time to run a game when Ghul or francisca or Mabon or one of the VIPs whose games I'd really like to try out has a game scheduled. So . . . what do you think? Just do it and take the chance? Skip it? Is there any point to waiting and seeing what happens as the catalogue gets filled in, or does that not happen until everything is scheduled?

Thanks.

12/06/2014 11:33 am  #14

There are so many games at so many time slots -- I'd just pick a time and run a game. Even just playing, you'll find you have so many options for games to sign up for. When you sign up for one event, you're also missing out on 10 great other games at the same time, so there's no use fretting about it. That's my two coppers, anyway.

Cheers,
Jeff T.

Last edited by Ghul (12/06/2014 11:36 am)

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

12/06/2014 12:08 pm  #15

What Jeff said is true, especially for a first-time attendee. No matter when your game falls, you'll probably miss something cool. Not to mention, high-demand games can fill up in 30-90 seconds of registration opening up. You might spend hours of time PM'ing different people trying to coordinate compatible game times, only to find that the registration process blows up your carefully laid plans.

Nevertheless, if I wanted to run a game and wanted also to play in one of Jeff's games, I'd aim for a morning slot. I think Jeff's games tend to be late afternoon or evening, if I recall. During the day he's usually in the vendor room at the AS&SH booth. I think francisca and mabon had day time games last year. So, you can already see the complications.

Another option might be to hold an informal, off-grid, pick-up game instead of a formal game. This allows you to wait for the game schedule, evaluate it, then perhaps coordinate with people you know from here or other boards, either in front of registration or once the music's stopped, to play a game at an open gaming table or in the bar.

Also, as I may have said before, I would avoid more than 1-2 scheduled events a day. Free time's nice for various reasons. For example, I like to sleep in, have breakfast in town, etc, so I don't schedule anything before 10AM. Others may avoid formal evening games to focus on socializing against the backdrop of a casual pick-up game in the bar with friends.

12/08/2014 7:45 am  #16

I'll be running one scheduled AS&SoH event. I guess I better get that figured out and submit it.

12/08/2014 12:25 pm  #17

Okay, Trouble in Vikland II has been submitted.  Noon on saturday.

Here is the catalog description:

A year ago, the evil Frost Giant Jarl Ulaf was vanquished.  For a time, the lands were at peace.  Now, the ravaging has begun again.  This time, the perpetrator is is alleged to be a tall, beautiful Ice Sorceress

Could this be the beautiful ghost-like woman who had lured so many young men to their frost-bitten, hoary deaths?  Or is this some new damnation for all of humankind - Vikings, Esquimaux, and Kimmerian alike?

This is a (loose) continuation of the adventure I ran last year, set in the same general area of Hyperborea.

This game will utilize the Astonishing Sorcerers and Swordsmen and Hyperborea RPG.  Some familiarity with AD&D and/or OD&D will be helpful to players unfamiliar with the system.  Pre-generated characters in the level range of 8-10 will be provided.

12/08/2014 2:49 pm  #18

Sounds good, Rich. Hope I can make it!

12/08/2014 3:38 pm  #19

Very cool!

12/08/2014 7:45 pm  #20

I unfortunately will not be able to attend this year.  My wife allowed me to attend GenCon during our anniversary so I will be taking her on a cruise using GC dollars.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.