!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/01/2014 4:22 pm  #1

The Next Three Modules

Greetings fellows,

I know some of you have been eagerly anticipating the next three modules, Ghost Ship of the Desert Dunes (J. Talanian), Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess (J. Salvador), and Beneath the Comet (B. Ball), all three of which are planned to be part of a single Kickstarter campaign in order to raise the appropriate funds. Well, I was overly optimistic to launch the campaign in October, and now it is November. Although all the writing is in, other developments (cover art for one module, interior art for all three, and editing for two) remain a work-in-progress. It stands to reason that much of this will reach a closer state of completion in the next 4-8 weeks, but I am very reluctant to run a KS campaign during the holiday season. As a result, I don't expect to launch the KS campaign until late January / early February. On the bright side, I expect delivery of all three modules to be reasonably close to the conclusion of the campaign. In a nutshell, I want most of the work "in the bag" before even launching the campaign.

Thank you for your patience.

Best,
Jeff Talanian

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

11/01/2014 7:40 pm  #2

Re: The Next Three Modules

Too many people are running Kickstarters with nothing finished and without a clue as to how to finish it.    No one can fault you for your commitment to quality and transparency.  Keep up the good work!

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

11/02/2014 1:49 am  #3

I like that January / early February time frame a lot. Just before TotalCon.

11/02/2014 8:29 am  #4

I know you must be disappointed, Jeff, but don't fret too much. Holiday season's always crowded anyway and I think everyone will appreciate so much of the work being finished at launch. I'm super pumped!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

11/02/2014 9:17 am  #5

Bryan -- While a Total Con release date is possible, it's not as likely as a potential Gary Con release, my friend.

Chain -- Thank you. Unfortunately, we live in a time where people have been burnt (or feel like they've been burnt due to extreme tardiness) by several KS projects. I don't want to contribute to that. I want to set a delivery timeframe and meet or beat it.

11/02/2014 9:23 am  #6

Thank you BA23, too.

11/02/2014 4:42 pm  #7

It really doesn't matter to me when they are released and a Gary Con release would be better PR for you I would think. But if it did happen in that time frame I certainly wouldn't be disappointed.

11/02/2014 5:54 pm  #8

No problem, man; I still think crowdfunding is among the best technology for creations intended for niche markets, and smart planning and transparency like yours just proves that it _can_ be used effectively and without upsetting a lot of people.

11/03/2014 9:06 am  #9

Appreciate you being up front about this. Will keep an eye out for the developments! Thanks!

11/03/2014 9:10 am  #10

You are doing this the right way Jeff. Thanks for keeping everyone informed!

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

11/03/2014 1:07 pm  #11

Sounds like a plan!

A good plan. Not like one of my players' "*You* walk the labyrinth of eyes and ask the daemon to kill the necromancer" plans!

11/03/2014 1:08 pm  #12

imo whilst modules don't tend to be the most pricey investment they are not generally a pre christmas investment. Early next year is better.

11/09/2014 2:44 pm  #13

Ghul wrote:

Greetings fellows,

I know some of you have been eagerly anticipating the next three modules, Ghost Ship of the Desert Dunes (J. Talanian), Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess (J. Salvador), and Beneath the Comet (B. Ball), all three of which are planned to be part of a single Kickstarter campaign in order to raise the appropriate funds. Well, I was overly optimistic to launch the campaign in October, and now it is November. Although all the writing is in, other developments (cover art for one module, interior art for all three, and editing for two) remain a work-in-progress. It stands to reason that much of this will reach a closer state of completion in the next 4-8 weeks, but I am very reluctant to run a KS campaign during the holiday season. As a result, I don't expect to launch the KS campaign until late January / early February. On the bright side, I expect delivery of all three modules to be reasonably close to the conclusion of the campaign. In a nutshell, I want most of the work "in the bag" before even launching the campaign.

Thank you for your patience.

Best,
Jeff Talanian

If more people did what you are doing for their projects, there would be less tardiness, and less apprehension about these sorts of projects.  Keep doing the right thing.

11/09/2014 5:57 pm  #14

Thanks, Rich.

11/25/2014 7:17 pm  #15

Ghul,

Just wondering--and I couldn't think of a better place to post this--if you had given any thought or talked to any of the appropriate authors about possibly doing print versions of some of the amazing resources that available for free on the main site. I'm thinking especially of Colin Chapman's various PC-generator aides and the Drunken Debauchery table (a personal favorite) and Ben Ball's equipment packs and adventure generators--also the Waifs of Hyperborea! I for one would love to have nicely bound versions of these in addition to the many stray pieces of paper that are always blowing around my head. Perhaps as stretch goals or backer benefits for the KS, either for the modules or for the next edition of the game? Just putting it out there.

HH

11/25/2014 7:25 pm  #16

It's a little tricky. Some of that material is going to be in the next printing of the game. Other materials were done as free fan resources for the fun of it. Then there is the fantastic gentleman Colin Chapman, who was a very creative and enthusiastic collaborator -- and who was going to develop Swampgate (the township norht of Khromarium) as an adventure/resource -- but Colin seems to have disappeared the last 10 months or so. I hope he is well and can rejoin the AS&SH fun in the near future. It would be great to have him here.

11/26/2014 8:04 pm  #17

Well then, we may have to send out an adventuring party to track down Mr. Chapman

Hope all is well for him

I filled my palace with deadly traps so trap admirers will come and visit me

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

2/09/2015 6:28 pm  #18

Looking forward to supporting the Kickstarter campaign!

2/09/2015 6:38 pm  #19

Pburke wrote:

Looking forward to supporting the Kickstarter campaign!

Thank you, and welcome to the forum!

2/13/2015 7:45 pm  #20

Fellows, here are some shots of maps illustrated by Glynn "MonkeyBlood" Seal.

Some shots of a map from Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess:

Some shots of a map from Beneath the Comet:

Some shots of three different maps from Ghost Ship of the Desert Dunes:

I hope you like them! Inching closer to a Kickstarter launch . . .

Thanks, fellows!

Jeff T.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.