!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/24/2014 2:47 pm  #1

Fantastic Heroes & Witchery

Hey, guys, I just picked up this lovely, HUGE tome of swords and sorcery/planetary romance rules goodness. It is full of material immediately useful to a GM running ASSH or other similarly themed game. Y'all need to check this bad boy out. Just do a google for the title above. There is a free sample pdf on the site so you can have a free look.
Specifically, it has new classes, weapons and such for the weird science part of the game, many new spells (666 spells, including the usual suspects), rules for evocations, sanity rules, and much more that could be cribbed for ASSH. The material is close enough in style and substance to be immediately useful.
What it does not have is a bestiary, treasure or setting.

9/24/2014 6:47 pm  #2

Re: Fantastic Heroes & Witchery

Tell me more about the planetary romance aspect please.

9/24/2014 8:10 pm  #3

It has appropriate character races, classes, equipment, psionics, a different take on priests, and nods to planetary romance scattered throughout the rules. For instance, stats for skyboats in the vehicle section.
It is a little more than in the ASSH rules, but not anything like half the rules or such.
Sorry if that disappoints, but it is still essentially a fantasy s&s game.
I think it could be used for ERBs Mars with some work, there is certainly enough to get started...but it's not a done deal for the genre. I think it's there for more flavor for those who like an element of weird science and planetary romance mixed with their swords and sorcery.

9/25/2014 8:16 am  #4

You know, I downloaded the preview pdf quite a while ago and have yet to read through it. Thanks for the reminder, I'll have to find time to give it a read.

Edit... As I recall, this game has roots in second edition. .. is that right? That's where my roots are too! Haha

Last edited by joseph (9/25/2014 8:19 am)

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

9/25/2014 3:51 pm  #5

I'm not sure about the roots, but I have the distinct impression that it would match up with ASSH quite well, and with Crypts and Things even better....the magic spells are divided up into white, grey and black varieties already. A BIG boost for anyone using Akrasia's color magic house rule right off the bat.
I've been reading through both and noticed that some spells that are presented differently in various versions of the game are written up similarly to ASSH, for instance Magic Missile and Continual Light or equivalent.
It's definitely deserving of a space next to ASSH, though.
I got the soft cover from Amazon and it's well worth the price.

10/17/2014 9:48 am  #6

joseph wrote:

You know, I downloaded the preview pdf quite a while ago and have yet to read through it. Thanks for the reminder, I'll have to find time to give it a read.

Edit... As I recall, this game has roots in second edition. .. is that right? That's where my roots are too! Haha

Well, from my admittedly 1e-Biased point of view, it has some 2e and 3e elements integrated into it.

As a game, I don't think it is a D&D variant I would personally put high on my list to play (and certainly would not want to DM it), nonetheless, it is an excellent mine for ideas for all pre-3e derived games, IMO (especailly the Blasphemus Bestiary, which might still be around the net in beta form.) It should also be said that the author has done a great job, and it is apparent he has put a lot of work into it, as the care and attention to details shows.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.