!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/29/2014 4:57 pm  #1

Ynas Midgard's Vikings Campaign

This is a topic dedicated to our face-to-face group's adventures. The campaign started out as a Vikings & Valkyries game a year and a half ago; however, AS&SH had picked my interest quite some time ago, and I was often feeling like starting a new campaign with it. As of the last session, this campaign has converted from V&V to AS&SH; now it is only the player characters, but soon they will visit Hyperborea, as well.

The report of this session, full of "referee's notes", can be found here (it includes the exploration of a smaller dungeon and my thoughts regarding the conversion and the party's power level). Note that it is session #10 in the campaign, so don't be surprised if my next report says session #11

Last edited by Ynas Midgard (8/29/2014 4:58 pm)

8/31/2014 4:40 pm  #2

Re: Ynas Midgard's Vikings Campaign

Looks great  -- thanks!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

9/25/2014 8:38 am  #3

This seems like a fun campaign. I like how you reskinned the module, nice work! Are you still running Hyperborea?

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

9/25/2014 9:42 am  #4

@ joseph
Thanks!

Actually, only during the last session did the party formally enter Hyperborea; here is the session report.

9/28/2014 6:09 pm  #5

I made a short document for my party summarising some key features of Hyperborea, its people and religions - as well as providing some clear adventuring opportunities. The original document is in Hungarian, but I thought the adventure hook part might interest others. Note that the party is currently located around the Zangerios Islands.

* Alus Mercury: Once this island housed a fantastic city of the Hyperboreans. When the locals abandoned Xathoqque in favour of Hermes and built a grand temple dedicated to the foreign god, the vulcan erupted, covering the city in hot ash and burning lava. According to legend, great treasures lie among the ruins - and deadly dangers.
* Dagon Bay: The area is mostly populated by Yakuts and Lapps who have strange deformities. Some say that beneath the small fishing villages that dot the coast, the settlements of the fish-men lie, and even the legendary R'lyeh, where Kthulhu sleeps.
* Barrowmaze: On one of the islands in the Dagon Bay there is a strange swamp, in which dozens of burial mounds stand firmly and silently. People claim that some of them are connected underground and that their tunnels form a larger complex where treasures are as abundant as the dead.
* Larchmere Yys: Pilgrims devoted to Apollo live here, only wishing peace and freedom. Unfortunately, their Dagonite neighbours are becoming fiercer and fiercer by the day.
* The sick noble: Kentar Ogborn, a member of a powerful noble family in Port Zangerios, is said to be very ill; he hasn't left his mansion for weeks.
* Service for the Alchemist: Vulnar Medosaccos, an alchemist in Port Zangerios, is reported to be interested in (which means willing to pay for) exotic materials.
* The kidnapped girl: The large village Raymill stands on one of the many islands in Zangerios. Many villagers are reported to be missing; the locals were able to track the kidnappers to a cave entrance leading to the depths below - but were too afraid to go further.
* The Amazon princess: They say that one of the new girls in the harem of Arkadios Glaukos, a nobleman in Port Zangerios, is in fact an Amazon princess.
* Temple of the Iron God: Two months ago strange lightnings were observed on a small island in the area. The locals claim the Iron God punished his own monks for their greed - which means there must be treasure around there somewhere.
* Temple of the Sun and the Moon: On a small island not far from Alus Mercury there is a temple, housing a powerful oracle, who is capable of answering any question - for the right price.
* House of a Thousand Pleasures: A successful brothel in Port Zangerios - but their success bothers many in the local underworld who do not directly benefit - people who are more than willing to act.
* Pirate treasure: Captain Redbeard Borvik's treasure is still out there to be found, they say. Rumour says that a coded map has surfaced recently, and that some people have already been looking for it: a group of Viking raiders, an Ixian and his henchmen, and Gorozal Druun, an excentric Hyperborean noble.

Last edited by Ynas Midgard (9/28/2014 6:12 pm)

10/27/2014 4:48 pm  #6

In our most recent session the party lost their entire crew (save two fortunate souls) and their ship to some vicious Dagonites. The very end of the session almost resulted in a double character death, as well; fortunately, Harald Greentooth was able to cut himself out of the giant frog's stomach, which ultimately scared off its buddies. Now they're resting in Larchmere Yys, planning their revenge on those damned Dagonites - and with some luck, next time a Berserker and a Pyromancer join their ranks, too, making their vengeance much fiercer and likelier to succeed

Last edited by Ynas Midgard (10/27/2014 6:53 pm)

10/27/2014 5:53 pm  #7

That's quite excellent, Ynas Midgard. Thanks for sharing!

10/28/2014 9:08 am  #8

Perfidious Dagon Bay!

11/04/2014 5:20 am  #9

The player of Phlianos (formerly Gylfi, Gottried, and Erik) made some astonishing maps for the campaign. With his kind permission, here are the links (I hope they work fine):
* Zangerios Islands
* Dagon Bay
* Lizard Coast

Last edited by Ynas Midgard (11/04/2014 8:23 am)

11/04/2014 8:06 am  #10

I'd love to see them--but I'm getting a 403 Forbidden! error from Google when I try.

11/04/2014 8:24 am  #11

How about now?

11/04/2014 9:54 am  #12

I can open them now.  Those maps are great!

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

11/04/2014 2:24 pm  #13

Very cool! Thanks!

11/07/2014 10:00 am  #14

I'll pass your appreciation along; I offered Miki bonus XP for his work (not only did he create these maps, but he was also master accountant, updating the party's food consumtion, travel speed, and overall encumbrance both on foot and by ship in a clever Excel document) - but he declined it.

Now I really hope he won't soon lose another character...

11/08/2014 11:09 am  #15

Seeing those maps truly brings me great joy, fellows. To me, this is what it's all about -- gamers taking the material, having fun with it, expanding, developing, putting their own personal stamps on it. I absolutely love what Miki has done, Ynas.

12/23/2014 7:40 am  #16

The report of our last session is finally here. It's the best session in the campaign so far, I think.

Also, it seems we may play on New Year's Eve, as well, and if we do, we'll do it in English this time (one of the guests doesn't speak Hungarian).

1/07/2015 11:28 am  #17

I just posted some encounter tables used in this campaign on my blog.

1/09/2015 11:51 am  #18

Very cool, Ynas Midgard. Thanks!

1/09/2015 9:21 pm  #19

Cool stuff, I enjoy reading about this kind of stuff more especially now as I am sort of in flux with my own face to face gaming. Mostly my fault since I decided to get my wife pregnant

Game on!

I filled my palace with deadly traps so trap admirers will come and visit me

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

1/12/2015 6:11 am  #20

Thanks, guys!
I added these three and another table to the AS&SH page on my blog (you can find it at the top next to Reviews and Rappan Athuk).

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.