!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/01/2014 9:23 am  #81

Re: AS&SH 2nd Print?

Ghul wrote:

Well, my apolgogies if my above post was misleading -- I really was not thinking of much more than the sort of bullet list Handy provided above. Just some tips that illustrate what heroic sword-and-sorcery gaming is, which (to me) is decidedly different than Tolkienesque high fantasy.

Bullet list FTW!

I do rather agree with BA23 that there's a lot of info out there on how to DM--and a certain Guide to that should be standard equipment! So focusing on S&S and Hyperborea seems most important. The section could be called "Here There Be No Dragons"!

Ghul wrote:

One thing we never managed to include in the first printing of the game was combat examples, and that is something I'll seek to remedy with the hardback release.

That's a very good idea.

I go back and forth on whether I want more monster illustrations or whether I'm content letting my brain do the work. I *would* like one of an elk and a bear worshipping at a wilderness shrine to Xathoqqua, so put that in the queue!

8/01/2014 9:28 am  #82

Handy Haversack wrote:

(these are pine trees, Donnie; they won't hurt you)

Chainsaw would tell you differently.  :-D

8/01/2014 11:16 am  #83

Just to be clear, I'm not disparaging AS&SH in any way, shape, or form.  It's my favorite D&D-like game bar none.

However, if someone who was a complete and utter novice (i.e., can't even draw a dungeon) came to me wanting to DM a game, I probably wouldn't suggest running one as complicated as AS&SH (nor AD&D, Runequest, GURPS, etc.) Rather I would recommend spending $4.99 on the PDF of the Moldvay Basic rules (even though this regrettably puts money in the pocket of WotC) or, if the person was too poor or cheap to drop half a sawbuck on a great game, downloading the free PDF of Labyrinth Lord.  These are beginner games with plenty of handholding and spoonfeeding.  After running such a game for a while, the new DM will be ready to move into the big leagues - which will hopefully be AS&SH!

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

8/01/2014 11:26 am  #84

That's reasonable. I started with the Holmes set and soon went to 1e. It was an easy transition, but that was probably because I was a kid who used the rules he liked / understood and ignored the rest. I play Modlvay Basic with my kids.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

8/01/2014 12:23 pm  #85

I started with the Moldvay Basic set (in case that wasn't obvious  ).  That Erol Otus cover is still one of my favorite pieces of D&D art.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

8/01/2014 2:23 pm  #86

I too would love to have a hardback version: while I appreciate the spiral-bound ability to lay flat, I find myself gingerly turning the pages lest I crimp one.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

8/01/2014 4:01 pm  #87

rhialto wrote:

I too would love to have a hardback version: while I appreciate the spiral-bound ability to lay flat, I find myself gingerly turning the pages lest I crimp one.

That's why I have two copies! One gets carried around, used and beat up. The other stays nice. Incidentally, the spiral binding on my table copy has held up pretty well after being tossed around in my backpack on over a year's worth of work trips and regular reading. No complaints.

Still looking forward to the updated, expanded hardcover version too though!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

8/05/2014 12:07 pm  #88

I'm not sure if it belongs here but I noticed a discrepancy in the current PDF regarding the bookmarks. "Movement" (in general) should redirect to p200 but, instead, it's linked to p213, where movement rates in combat are summarised.

Last edited by Ynas Midgard (8/05/2014 12:07 pm)

8/06/2014 10:00 am  #89

On p201 in Vol. III. there's a note that if there's a Barbarian, Ranger, Monk, or Scout in the party, the "becoming lost" roll is made with a d8 instead of a d6. Now, why the Monk should have that ability is another question, but I think this should be noted in the class descriptions, as well.

8/06/2014 12:56 pm  #90

Ynas Midgard wrote:

I'm not sure if it belongs here but I noticed a discrepancy in the current PDF regarding the bookmarks. "Movement" (in general) should redirect to p200 but, instead, it's linked to p213, where movement rates in combat are summarised.

Good point, but when we go to the next printng, the whole thing is going to be re-laid out. But thanks!

8/06/2014 1:01 pm  #91

Ynas Midgard wrote:

On p201 in Vol. III. there's a note that if there's a Barbarian, Ranger, Monk, or Scout in the party, the "becoming lost" roll is made with a d8 instead of a d6. Now, why the Monk should have that ability is another question, but I think this should be noted in the class descriptions, as well.

Monks, to my way of thinking, are spiritually in tune with their surroundings; hence their ability to confer with plants and animals. "Getting Lost" rules are not used very frequently by most referees I've encountered over the years. I think it's a sort of tangential guideline for referees who want to use it; thus, I don't think these notes should be added to the bloat of the respective character class ability descriptions. So, I suppose I respectfully disagree, but I do appreciate the point, Ynas Midgard!

8/06/2014 2:51 pm  #92

Well, I mentioned the PDF because it can be updated so that those of us who bought it through RPGNow can always have the most up-to-date version

As for the Monk, I see it now; makes sense.

Honestly, neither have I used "getting lost" rules - ever. In the beginning mostly because we handwaved journeys (or made them into sequential events, kind of like how video games handle it most of the time); later, when I became poisoned by, ehm, aware of the OSR, I found it simply boring and making things harder both for the players and the referee. However, I'm working on a solution to this (inspired by Telecanter's travel challenges).

8/07/2014 3:37 pm  #93

Chainsaw wrote:

rhialto wrote:

That's why I have two copies! One gets carried around, used and beat up. The other stays nice. Incidentally, the spiral binding on my table copy has held up pretty well after being tossed around in my backpack on over a year's worth of work trips and regular reading. No complaints.

Still looking forward to the updated, expanded hardcover version too though!

I'm with you Chainsaw. I printed an additional copy of each book (full-sized w/comb-binding . . . btw, the comb-binding is much preferable to the spiral, imho) to keep my original spiral bound copies in decent shape. I let my players tear through the handmade versions, while my originals stay well within the confines of my purview. And I'm quite sure once Jeff starts a Kickstarter for a lovely hardback version, I'll be right there throwing money at it.

Don.

1/18/2015 9:05 pm  #94

Anything new on this front that you can share, Jeff?

I was thinking a small town and dungeon set might be interesting additional features to include in the Gazetteer. The town could be small and non-specific enough that a new referee could place it wherever he wanted, as suited his interests. Some might place it near Khromarium (the locals might farm peat), others up closer to the Spiral Array (the locals herd sheep), etc. The nearby dungeon might include a variety of challenges that demonstrate or highlight some AS&SH-specific mechanics, features or themes. Together, the town and dungeon might serve to build a common initial experience to set the tone, like B2 or T1, although those are both larger than what I have in mind.

Might not be feasible, I don't know.

1/19/2015 4:31 am  #95

Definitely looking forward to a hardback version

1/21/2015 3:33 pm  #96

Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but would there be any possibility of making the new edition (or even the current edition) available as a physical copy - hard or softback - via Drivethru or Lulu? 

I mention this because obtainining the current boxed set here in the UK is prohibatively expensive what with postage...

1/21/2015 4:30 pm  #97

Chainsaw wrote:

I was thinking a small town and dungeon set might be interesting additional features to include in the Gazetteer. The town could be small and non-specific enough that a new referee could place it wherever he wanted, as suited his interests. Some might place it near Khromarium (the locals might farm peat), others up closer to the Spiral Array (the locals herd sheep), etc. The nearby dungeon might include a variety of challenges that demonstrate or highlight some AS&SH-specific mechanics, features or themes. Together, the town and dungeon might serve to build a common initial experience to set the tone, like B2 or T1, although those are both larger than what I have in mind.

Hi Chain,

Well, as you know, the new hardback won't become a priority until the three new adventures (Ghost Ship of the Desert Dunes, Beneath the Comet, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess) are published.

The main thing I want to stress is that (in tabletop gaming terms) this is not going to be a new edition. It is a new printing. The rules are the same, but there will be some ligt expansion -- four new subclasses. There will be some new monsters, some new magic items, etc., but the basic functions and mechanics of the game will remain the same. There will be new layout and some new art.

Adding a starting town and/or a starting dungeon is an excellent idea; it's something I'm very interested in pursuing. I'm not sure I want to go generic with it. I remain interested in developing Swampgate as a great starting point; peat farming happens to be a big part of their economy! I have an adventure idea for that locale that is inspired by Karl Edward Wagner, but I haven't explored it yet.

I think it's feasible!

1/21/2015 4:32 pm  #98

Doctor_Rob wrote:

Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but would there be any possibility of making the new edition (or even the current edition) available as a physical copy - hard or softback - via Drivethru or Lulu?

I mention this because obtainining the current boxed set here in the UK is prohibatively expensive what with postage...

Hello Dr. Rob, and welcome to the board! I'm afraid I have no intention of doing this. But I will be able to get the hardback edition to the UK much cheaper than the current boxed set. I appreciate your interest.

1/21/2015 4:52 pm  #99

Ghul wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

Hi Chain,

Well, as you know, the new hardback won't become a priority until the three new adventures (Ghost Ship of the Desert Dunes, Beneath the Comet, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess) are published.

The main thing I want to stress is that (in tabletop gaming terms) this is not going to be a new edition. It is a new printing. The rules are the same, but there will be some ligt expansion -- four new subclasses. There will be some new monsters, some new magic items, etc., but the basic functions and mechanics of the game will remain the same. There will be new layout and some new art.

Adding a starting town and/or a starting dungeon is an excellent idea; it's something I'm very interested in pursuing. I'm not sure I want to go generic with it. I remain interested in developing Swampgate as a great starting point; peat farming happens to be a big part of their economy! I have an adventure idea for that locale that is inspired by Karl Edward Wagner, but I haven't explored it yet.

I think it's feasible!

The setting/adventure idea is a good one. I think keeping it tied to Hyperborea is useful as it will further accentuate the flavour and mood of the setting materials. I think once those new modules are available I'll have to do another order ;)

1/21/2015 5:40 pm  #100

Ghul wrote:

The main thing I want to stress is that (in tabletop gaming terms) this is not going to be a new edition. It is a new printing. The rules are the same, but there will be some light expansion -- four new subclasses. There will be some new monsters, some new magic items, etc., but the basic functions and mechanics of the game will remain the same. There will be new layout and some new art.

Understood, understood. I know you're working hard.

Awesome! From a purely personal perspective, detailing Swampgate is better for me, as my campaign is set in and around Khromarium, as you know. Fleshing out a nearby town would be helpful. Plus, cool to hear that Wagner may be helping inspire the related adventure, as he's one of my favorites. I could hazard a guess which about which tale you have in mind, but I already have one No-Prize.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.