!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/10/2014 7:47 am  #1

Combat: Multiple Attacks

Hi, all,

I know I read this, but for some reason at the table on Saturday I went completely blank. When a character has more than one attack in a round, they come at the same time, no? And against the same opponent?

So, e.g., a fighter-type with two melee attacks in one round would take them both on his side's turn (i.e., winning or losing intiative)

--in Phase I in a regular toe-to-toe fight or after a half-distance move or charge
--in Phase II after a full-distance move or charge

Right? And the same applies to monsters with attack routines or to multiple arrows, for example?

And am I right that all Phase I actions happen (first for the side that won init., then the side that lost) and then all Phase II actions happen (same deal).

Yes? No? Shut up, Handy?

3/10/2014 10:22 am  #2

Re: Combat: Multiple Attacks

Handy Haversack wrote:

Hi, all,

I know I read this, but for some reason at the table on Saturday I went completely blank. When a character has more than one attack in a round, they come at the same time, no? And against the same opponent?

So, e.g., a fighter-type with two melee attacks in one round would take them both on his side's turn (i.e., winning or losing intiative)

--in Phase I in a regular toe-to-toe fight or after a half-distance move or charge
--in Phase II after a full-distance move or charge

Right? And the same applies to monsters with attack routines or to multiple arrows, for example?

And am I right that all Phase I actions happen (first for the side that won init., then the side that lost) and then all Phase II actions happen (same deal).

Yes? No? Shut up, Handy?

Handy,

My non-official opinion:  The split phase is great for very detailed resolution of combat.  Strictly speaking you would do as you state with; phase one, all go, then phase two, finish round.  As a GM I don't feel a need for that level of granularity and allow the players to complete their phases during their turn.

I really like the flexibility the multi-phase system (even if not split) adds to combat for melee, missile, and magic.

Melee Fighters can use attacks as they see fit during the round.  They can attack, move and attack, attack and move (iff opponant is killed) and attack again if they have attacks left.

Missile Fighters can do the same with some limitations.  They can fire, fire and move, or move and fire.  If they move thay fire at one lower level of rate of fire (2/1 becomes 3/2).

Sorcerers can cast, or move and cast.  Casting ends their move.  They are considered casting for the entire turn so if they are hit they lose (or may lose) the spell. 

I never really thought about monsters as I usually have them attack with all attacks or move and attack with all attacks, against multiple opponants if they are in melee reach.  I generally don't split attacks with movement or have had a need to.

Morgan

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

3/10/2014 10:42 am  #3

My understanding of the fighter multiple attack rules is that they can come at the same time or not, and be used against one or multiple opponents as the fighter chooses.  Anyway, that's how I run it.  You'd have to ask Jeff if he intends for monsters to be able to split their attacks among multiple opponents, because I don't believe this is spelled out in the rules.  Something Jeff said when we were discussing ghoul paralyzation led me to believe that he doesn't allow monsters to split attacks, but I could be wrong.  It's probably better to just ask him (or make your own ruling, of course).

(Going back to some of the source material, it's really not spelled out in 1st edition AD&D whether monsters can split their attacks.  Based on the various descriptions in the Monster Manual, it can be inferred that some - e.g., demons and trolls - can and the rest presumably can't.  Personally I've always allowed all monsters to split their attacks against any and all opponents in range when running any version of D&D, but that's just my own ruling.  The opposite can certainly be argued from the rules as written.)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

3/11/2014 5:15 am  #4

I wouldn't allow monsters (in most cases) to split their attacks against multiple foes. A bear for examle, is going to claw / claw one opponent, whether that opponent survives the first claw or not. But a giant squid lurking under the hull of a ship, sending up its tentacles to grab sailors -- that's different. For the most part, though, I view it as a monster's multi-attack routine, which is not the same as a fighter's 2/1.

Oh, and to the original question, I simply have the player take these attacks at the same time. During an early draft of the game, I tried splitting up the multiple attacks over the course of the round, but the granularity proved to be more of a burden than it was worth.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

3/11/2014 8:00 am  #5

Ghul wrote:

I wouldn't allow monsters (in most cases) to split their attacks against multiple foes. A bear for examle, is going to claw / claw one opponent, whether that opponent survives the first claw or not. But a giant squid lurking under the hull of a ship, sending up its tentacles to grab sailors -- that's different. For the most part, though, I view it as a monster's multi-attack routine, which is not the same as a fighter's 2/1.

Oh, and to the original question, I simply have the player take these attacks at the same time. During an early draft of the game, I tried splitting up the multiple attacks over the course of the round, but the granularity proved to be more of a burden than it was worth.

Which, it turns out, is what you wrote in the game (p. 212). Sorry. Someone had cast grease on my brain (and eyes; ew) when the first combat started, and I just for the life of me couldn't find this in the book. I just rolled with it finally, and played it pretty much this way since I *thought* I remembered it. It's good to know I wasn't hallucinating. Again.

Thanks, Ghul!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.