!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/18/2014 8:20 am  #41

Re: Experience and Wealth

joseph wrote:

I think that in the long term, Dragonlance was innovative, because it was trying to force story elements into the game. It did it poorly, but (like I6, also Hickman) the DL series was experimenting on how to bring more story into the game - through game modules specifically. Seen in that light, one could argue that some RPGs took that cue to evolve into games like World of Darkness and Fate which have built in mechanics for storytelling. Did these games grow from the forced plots of DL? I don't know, but I'd suspect there was an influence.

Maybe I should have said "positive innovations".  If Hickman is responsible to any degree for the White Wolf games, he deserves twice as much opprobium as he usually receives.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

7/18/2014 9:00 am  #42

Blackadder23 wrote:

joseph wrote:

I think that in the long term, Dragonlance was innovative, because it was trying to force story elements into the game. It did it poorly, but (like I6, also Hickman) the DL series was experimenting on how to bring more story into the game - through game modules specifically. Seen in that light, one could argue that some RPGs took that cue to evolve into games like World of Darkness and Fate which have built in mechanics for storytelling. Did these games grow from the forced plots of DL? I don't know, but I'd suspect there was an influence.

Maybe I should have said "positive innovations".  If Hickman is responsible to any degree for the White Wolf games, he deserves twice as much opprobium as he usually receives.

I like the cut of your gib, BA23.

I guess I have trouble wrapping my mind around why XP for GP would ever be a problem, but I'm old and set in my ways (rawr rawr rawr, no one kin unnerstan' you, She-Bear). My only thought, really, is how to encourage a more S&S style of play instead of the AD&D hoard-for-all-you're-worth-because-the-DM-is-evil style that my players somehow discovered. Hence the idea of giving XP for wealth risked or lost on the Drunken Debauchery table. What I'm leaning toward now is giving 1 XP/2 GP (which is what I tend to do anyway; I like a slow advancement) but then letting the players unlock the other half of the XP with what they risk on the table. So money for training and whatnot can be set aside first.

7/20/2014 4:54 pm  #43

Blackadder23 wrote:

joseph wrote:

Haha, well that's a different statement altogether!

Honestly,  I've been really enjoying these discussions about early D&D, something I largely missed coming into the game in the mid/late 80s and never really playing modules until later. It seems to me that there was a trend at some point of forcing plot elements into RPGs (for better or worse and to varying degrees of success).

[Thread hijacking ends here, sorry Ynas].

Back on topic, XP is something that I can go anyway on. Once upon a time, I kept track of every little thing characters did. Mostly these days I look at the overall degree of success in general and assign XP accordingly.

Last edited by joseph (7/20/2014 4:58 pm)

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.