!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/15/2014 7:29 pm  #1

Witchs and Familiars

Should Witches gain similar bonuses from familiars as Magicians do? 

The text states: "To function as a familiar."
The italics make me wonder if the original intent of the witch's familiar was to also grant the hitpoints and the extra spell as stated in the core class description from which it is a sub-class.  Is this the case?

My personal feelings toward the subject are on the fence.  Unlimited range of espionage as opposed to the Magician's limited range may be boon enough.

7/15/2014 9:38 pm  #2

Re: Witchs and Familiars

I don't believe they are supposed to grant the bonuses of the magician's familiar.  The benefits of the witch's familiar are unlimited range and the fact that the witch's familiar obeys the witch without question (note, for example, that the magician's familiar "only fights in self defense", implying that it might disobey the magician if ordered to attack).

Last edited by Blackadder23 (7/15/2014 9:38 pm)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

7/15/2014 10:52 pm  #3

Thanks.  That is the direction I was leaning.

7/16/2014 5:57 pm  #4

We definitely intended for the magican's and witch's familiars to work differently. One is the old-school RPG staple, the other a minor dæmon in animal form.

7/16/2014 10:22 pm  #5

Thank you Dave!  Fine editing by the way!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.