!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/20/2014 6:04 pm  #1

Magazine - Questions and ideas

Just looking for some feedback if you care to chime in. It relates to AFS magazine.

The magazine is primarily focused from the onset by 4 core authors, HPL, CAS, REH and Jack Vance. In issue 5 to break things up a bit I included a focus on Michael Moorcock (but not entirely Moorcock content some of the original remains).
I only get new issues out every 6 months it seems so there is time to ponder this. For the next issue AFS 6 - should I do the same added author focus - I was thinking of going with perhaps a Frtitz Leiber focus - or maybe an early 1900's focus, such as A Merritt, Algiernon Blackwood, etc vibe and maybe including some Call of Cthulhu adventures or similar mixed in.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Last edited by Scalydemon (6/20/2014 6:20 pm)

I filled my palace with deadly traps so trap admirers will come and visit me

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

6/20/2014 6:48 pm  #2

Re: Magazine - Questions and ideas

if you choose a focus far enough in advance, I or potentially others could write articles that focus on that strand of literature. Personally i quite like the idea of having a core set of inspiration writers but doing issues focused on others. I've read the first half the moon pool, and some Lovecraft, and two of the Lankmar stories of Leiber. 

6/20/2014 8:20 pm  #3

Thank you for your feedback. I am likely leaning toward an early 1900's author vibe and especially a 'cosmic horror' angle. Robert W Chambers, Lord Dunsany and Ambrose Bierce as added examples.

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

6/21/2014 9:30 am  #4

I don't mind those author spotlights at all. The core four authors influence the magazine as a whole, allowing a focus for the types of articles you are looking for. The other authors are all very similar to those standards as they influenced, were contemporary, or were influenced by REH, HPL, CAS and Vance.

Yes, with several months advance notice you might get a ton of submissions!

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

6/22/2014 12:49 pm  #5

Ok, I got my eyes on you then joseph

6/22/2014 5:39 pm  #6

I think you're doing a fantastic job, scaly!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

6/29/2014 10:38 am  #7

I would like to contribute a new class, but didn't feel it fit issue 5.

6/30/2014 9:51 am  #8

The good thing about focus is that it tells something to the reader about the issue immediately. The downside is that, though an initial focus determines readership and place in the market, so to speak, it excludes more and more readers the narrower it becomes.

Likewise with submissions to the magazine, since you basically rely on people's good will to submit stuff in order to put an issue together.

So unless you are crawling under sales and submissions for the magazine, I'd be careful about making each issue too narrowly focused. 

6/30/2014 9:52 am  #9

Will wrote:

That's what I'm talking about right here.

7/01/2014 10:22 am  #10

this is a good point. I have quite a few bits close to ready to submit to various zines. But the question is whom to submit them too. If you go with a theme for the next issue I will probably edit something i've got, into that theme, or perhaps just write something new.

A slightly safer option might be to run an author feature with each issue. Have two articles focusing on an individual writer, one about he writer him or herself, bio, commentary on their works etc, and a second gaming article that is strongly influenced by their work. You have quite a bit of this material in anyway.

7/06/2014 1:48 am  #11

Will wrote:

Please feel free to send submissions to srmoberly -at - yahoo.com at any time

Thanks for the feedback in this thread. I will post some submission guidelines for AFS 6 upcoming in a new thread

AFS 5 I just did a second print run of.
AFS back issues of 1-4 I am still working on/plan to get re-printed and available this summer

7/06/2014 5:32 pm  #12

Thanks, Scott!  I'm working up an alchemist class for AS&SH that I would like to submit.  Once it looks decent, I'll shoot it to you.
Also, can't wait for 1-4 to come back in print; finally got the money and you ran out.  

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.