!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/25/2024 5:30 pm  #6841

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Keet opens the door.
Assuming he has the torch, he shines it outside.
There are no ice shards in the ground.
There is no wolf carcass.
There are no branches here, maybe in the woods beyond the cemetery. 
There is a wooden staircase in the corner of the courtyard beside Keet.

6/25/2024 5:39 pm  #6842

bald_headed_yeti wrote:

[Where can we go from here?
Do we have some sort of objective to accomplish?
Does the party have knowledge of some sort of civilized area nearby?
Not like traveling in complete darkness is safe...
Curious how the year of darkness plays out..those animals that don't hibernate will starve to death
or eat every thing in sight...hopefully people have stored a year's worth of food somewhere...
plants will wither and die...a lot to look forward to...wish I didn't think so much sometimes.]

1. not very far without more light and food.
2. I think Votin was looking for his kidnapped sister from the beastmen.
3. Tillak may have crossed through Dunwich before he climbed into these mountains, perhaps hired to assassinate Malak the Thief by the high priest of Dunwich?
4. Keet's slain group had never told him where they were going, but there was overheard talk of an abandoned platinum smelt...
5. Many generations of folk have survived NIGHTFALL before you, though they snug in their stocked villages...
6. You've only seen the beastmen, and some birdcall in the woods.
7. All plants are buried under mounds of snow as in the journey from the beastmen cave down to the church. Recall the snow is very thin in the courtyard...

6/25/2024 5:54 pm  #6843

"Does anyone know where the stairs lead to?"

Last edited by bald_headed_yeti (6/25/2024 5:56 pm)

6/25/2024 5:55 pm  #6844

Iron Ranger wrote:

bald_headed_yeti wrote:

Curious how the year of darkness plays out..those animals that don't hibernate will starve to death
or eat every thing in sight...hopefully people have stored a year's worth of food somewhere...
plants will wither and die...a lot to look forward to...wish I didn't think so much sometimes.]

3. Tillak may have crossed through Dunwich before he climbed into these mountains, perhaps hired to assassinate Malak the Thief by the high priest of Dunwich?
4. Keet's slain group had never told him where they were going, but there was overheard talk of an abandoned platinum smelt...
5. Many generations of folk have survived NIGHTFALL before you, though they snug in their stocked villages...
7. All plants are buried under mounds of snow as in the journey from the beastmen cave down to the church. Recall the snow is very thin in the courtyard...

6/25/2024 5:57 pm  #6845

6/25/2024 6:13 pm  #6846

bald_headed_yeti wrote:

"Does anyone know where the stairs lead to?"

"I suggest that we search the courtyard also looking for ways out of the courtyard to go look for wood, then perhaps the stairs...somebody should stay close to the door in case there is trouble."

Last edited by bald_headed_yeti (6/25/2024 6:14 pm)

6/25/2024 6:46 pm  #6847

Narrhil looks for the wand. With the wolf gone, they were at a loss for food. "I need to return to my tome and study my spells, the light is poorly and we have little time. We also had left dead wolves in the cellar. Whether they are there now, I could not say, but it might be worth a look!"

He will return inside the building and get to work. If he needs to light another torch he will.

6/25/2024 7:14 pm  #6848

Caveman wrote:

Narrhil looks for the wand. With the wolf gone, they were at a loss for food. "I need to return to my tome and study my spells, the light is poorly and we have little time. We also had left dead wolves in the cellar. Whether they are there now, I could not say, but it might be worth a look!"

He will return inside the building and get to work. If he needs to light another torch he will.

The wand is on the ground in the middle of the courtyard where dropped.
Narrhil will need a second torch only if Keet remains outside with the first. (There are 6 unused in the room, next the mattress which has been pulled to the center of the room next to the bookfire(extinguished).)

6/25/2024 7:30 pm  #6849

Caveman wrote:

"I need to return to my tome and study my spells, the light is poorly and we have little time. We also had left dead wolves in the cellar. Whether they are there now, I could not say, but it might be worth a look!"

"Where is this cellar?"

6/25/2024 7:33 pm  #6850

bald_headed_yeti wrote:

Caveman wrote:

"I need to return to my tome and study my spells, the light is poorly and we have little time. We also had left dead wolves in the cellar. Whether they are there now, I could not say, but it might be worth a look!"

"Where is this cellar?"

[Not sure that anyone is mapping.]

6/25/2024 7:47 pm  #6851

If the courtyard has been searched Votin will begin to explore the stairs.

6/25/2024 7:59 pm  #6852

bald_headed_yeti wrote:

If the courtyard has been searched Votin will begin to explore the stairs.

Keet hs the torch and was headed out to look for wood? That is out toward cemetery.
Votin mounts the stairs, the construction is rickety. It extends to darkness, going up in levels of 10 ft ish.
Keet is taking the light of the torch away.

6/25/2024 8:38 pm  #6853

Votin descends back down the stairs carefully and heads toward Keet he should not be by himself.

6/25/2024 8:40 pm  #6854

bald_headed_yeti wrote:

Votin descends back down the stairs carefully and heads toward Keet he should not be by himself.

[Understood, we'll see where Keet goes.]

6/26/2024 4:51 am  #6855

bald_headed_yeti wrote:

"Where is this cellar?" 

"It is in a kitchen at the back of the main worshiping hall, there is a door to the right as you enter the place at the back!" States Narrhil. "You must enter the front of church to get to it. We are at the back of the church; perhaps this hovel belonged to the caretaker of the graveyard we stand it.

Narrhil pick up the Wand of Freezing and keeps it safe. It had a sapphire-tip, he had presume it shattered when the wand was at its end. He looked to see, one way or other, he could sell the sapphire or use it in his spell casting.

[It will take Narrhil 40 minutes to memorises the 4 1st level spells he got. I not want to waste torches. He got his icicle dagger that can be used as light for an hour. Tillak should start focusing on his spells with him. Also I plan to learn the 'Continuous Light,' once I get to 3rd-level. It not a deadly spell, but it will help us a lot.]

6/26/2024 8:31 am  #6856

The wand shows no damage.
Narrhil returns to the mattress, moves his new backpack aside and opens his old backpack, and pulls out his spellbook.
Once his Icicle appears he begins to read...

Last edited by Iron Ranger (6/26/2024 8:32 am)

6/26/2024 8:52 am  #6857

"I have an idea... let's see where the stairs lead and if it proves to nowhere important we can chop it down and use the wood...in the meantime should we go down to the cellar and see if there's any carcasses left."

Last edited by bald_headed_yeti (6/26/2024 2:37 pm)

6/26/2024 5:29 pm  #6858

bald_headed_yeti wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

bald_headed_yeti wrote:

Tillak was offered money for the death of Malak. He would rather bury his pick in the thrice damned priest's head. If he learns of Votin's quest, then he will offer his aide to the barbarian.

• “Moonglum licked his long lips. 'So it’s sorcery again. In truth, Elric, this whole country is beginning to stink of wizardry and the minions of hell.' Elric murmured for his friend’s ears: 'No hell-beings these—but honest elementals, equally powerful in many ways.'"

6/26/2024 5:30 pm  #6859

Tillak prepares his spells, along with Narrhil.

• “Moonglum licked his long lips. 'So it’s sorcery again. In truth, Elric, this whole country is beginning to stink of wizardry and the minions of hell.' Elric murmured for his friend’s ears: 'No hell-beings these—but honest elementals, equally powerful in many ways.'"

6/26/2024 7:10 pm  #6860

SullyB74 wrote:

Tillak prepares his spells, along with Narrhil.

Tillak opens his book and reads in the icicle's violet light.

[What spells are being learnt by the magic users?]

Last edited by Iron Ranger (6/26/2024 7:11 pm)

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.