!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/25/2014 3:30 pm  #1

Spells for a Blood Mage?

What spells would you suggest for a blood mage? In my campaign, these are sorcerers who can draw magical energy from the blood of living creatures or the recently dead, and are masters in manipulating muscles in other creatures in themselves. It's a distinctively different tradition from necromancy which gains its powers from health and vitality. Death and decay isn't part of it (unless the subject is killed from bloodloss or destroyed vital organs).
So far I have these:

Agonizing Touch
Danse Macabre (but also affecting still living targets)
Perceive Heartbeat
Strangle
Strengthen
Transfer Wounds
Vampiric Touch (the most bloodiest of blood spells)

"Steel isn't strong, boy. Flesh is stronger. What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?"

Spriggan's Den

6/25/2014 5:27 pm  #2

Re: Spells for a Blood Mage?

I haven't read all the spells in ASSH, but i'd add paralysis as causing the victims blood to thin might have such an effect.

6/27/2014 10:14 am  #3

Good idea. I usually forget about that spell, since it's a poor mans hold person and doesn't appear in the spell lists.

"Steel isn't strong, boy. Flesh is stronger. What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?"

Spriggan's Den

6/27/2014 11:02 am  #4

Some suggestions:

Spells related to disease, such as contagion
Hold
spells
Location and mind-reading spells (using a drop of blood of the target)
Magic jar (taking the form of a bloody cloud that enters the target's mouth and seizes control)
Spells that create emotions in the targets by affecting their metaphorical "hearts", such as friends and emotion
Finger of death (heart explodes or blood boils)
Spells that are symbols or sigils drawn in blood (scarlet snake sigil, explosive blood runes, and so forth)
Neutralize poison and remove paralysis
Cause lycanthropy
with a blood ritual (maybe even cause vampirism?)
Summon insect swarm (mosquitoes) and maybe a spell like summon stirges
Transfer youthfulness with a blood ritual
Of course the usual utility spells like detect magic, dispel magic, etc.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/27/2014 11:35 am  #5

Another idea is to give a higher level blood mage the same ability to make a voodoo doll that a witch has, but requiring the blood of the victim.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.