!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/21/2014 7:33 am  #1

Weird, weird, weird

http://weirdtalesmagazine.com/2013/09/11/these-are-possibly-the-20-weirdest-paperback-covers/

Probably not actually *the* weirdest, but certainly weird enough. I'm putting this here instead of under "Artistic Inspiration" since these books are such good source material.

I've just reread the CAS collection The Monster of the Prophecy. Before that, Hodgson's House on the Borderlands. Now, Lumley's The Burrowers Beneath.

6/12/2014 8:04 am  #2

Re: Weird, weird, weird

Recommendation in the weird vein:

Jeff VanderMeer, Annihilation.

It's not S&S, that's for sure, but it is a really powerful story that is fundamentally weird. This is the guy who edited that huge collection of weird fiction a couple years back:

So, you know, street cred.

But I am thinking that the main structural feature in Annihilation might very well be used for at least one of the Towers at the Edge of the World in Hyperborea. So it's worth checking out for that alone!

Also, the "sequel" is now out.

6/14/2014 1:50 am  #3

"These different approaches manifest in their fantasies. To put it with unfair crudeness, Tolkien’s is the fantasy of a man murmuring to himself ‘it’s alright, it’s alright’, but not believing it; Lovecraft’s of a man shrieking ‘none of it is alright, nor will it ever be’."--China Miéville.

Discuss?

6/14/2014 11:01 am  #4

Great collection of covers, Handy. I have a few of those!

I'm not sure I agree with the China Miéville quote on either end of it, Tolkien or Lovecraft. It seems to pigeonhole them both, but I get the general point.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.