!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/29/2022 8:25 am  #1

Hyperborea Introductory Reading List

Greetings fellow Hyperboreans!

I thought it might be good to have a short list of works to read that would introduce the uninitiated to the Weird Pulp Fantasy / Sword and Sorcery genre.  The purpose is to give a good sense of what the Hyperborea setting is like and the fiction it’s  based on.

Of course the authors are mentioned in the core books, but what works of theirs would you single out? What’s your short list?

Last edited by Matteus (7/29/2022 8:26 am)

8/10/2022 2:06 pm  #2

Re: Hyperborea Introductory Reading List

Clark Ashton Smith:
The Tale of Satampra Zeiros
The Door to Saturn
The Empire of the Necromancers
The Beast of Averoigne
The Seven Geases

HP Lovecraft:
Colour Out of Space
The Dunwich Horror
Shadows Over Innsmouth
Shadow Out of Time
At the Mountains of Madness

Robert E. Howard:
Worms of the Earth
The Black River
Tower of the Elephant
The Shadow Kingdom
Valley of the Worm

Fritz Lieber:
Ill Met in Lankhmar

Jack Vance:
The Moon Moth

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

3/13/2023 2:38 pm  #3

Re: Hyperborea Introductory Reading List

I grew up on REH, the Conan comics, and the many Conan authors, Fritz Lieber, and ingested HP LC. Never even heard of CAS. Wasn’t sure where to start. So today I got in a copy of Hyperborea by CAS with an intro from Lin Carter. Looking forward to it!

Last edited by Vetus Miles (3/13/2023 2:38 pm)

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.