!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/11/2022 2:28 pm  #1

Giants! Oh Boy!

Well, time to send my intrepid adventuers off on another journey. They're all about 3rd level so I can start throwing tougher things at them. Got something special: one of the players came into possession of a Zirconium Suit (my bad) And I've been trying to figure out how to get it away from him without it being meta-gamey, so it's time to build the adventure around him using giants.
Now, I just gotta figure out what type, where they'd be, the story, etc. I'm thinking a small war between fir and frost giants with hill giants stuck in the middle or something like that. A shaman "summons" said character with suit and the rest have to go find him. Now I just gotta figure out where this all take place. I'd rather not do Underborea as that's a bit too much for me. Possibly using some of the AD&D Giants series, modified. Just gotta get the location ironed out.

-SJ/Ol' Man Grognard

12/12/2022 7:01 am  #2

Re: Giants! Oh Boy!

Ullr's Island, or close to as a god lives there? Like south on the mainland of Vikland?

Perfect place for a Giant battle.

12/12/2022 2:11 pm  #3

They can't live in the suit, Once they are out of it, presumedly in an Inn or something. A thief crawls into a window and enters the armor. once they are in they run away, Jump out of the window and use the antigravity to float away...

It's kinda cheesy, but just make up for it somehow. 

I've always gone with "what is rolled is Rolled" when it comes to magic items, but in some cases, the Magic far outweighs the levels and needs to be accounted for. A Zirconium suit would be news, and many Much Higher level people would probably want to track it down, and so would the original owner. 

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

12/14/2022 11:39 pm  #4

BlackKnight wrote:

They can't live in the suit, Once they are out of it, presumedly in an Inn or something. A thief crawls into a window and enters the armor. once they are in they run away, Jump out of the window and use the antigravity to float away...

It's kinda cheesy, but just make up for it somehow. 

I've always gone with "what is rolled is Rolled" when it comes to magic items, but in some cases, the Magic far outweighs the levels and needs to be accounted for. A Zirconium suit would be news, and many Much Higher level people would probably want to track it down, and so would the original owner. 

That's good. I'll hang on to that thought.
I was thinking about the party in the middle of a battle with whatever and in the middle of it, the PC wearing the suit magically disappears. Seems that a shaman from a small village up in the north has been scrying for a village champion to save them from some powerful foe or foes attacking them. A lot of the menfolk have been slaughtered and they need a hero so the shaman "summoned" the mighty warrior in the magical suit of armor (I had all the players make a 2nd character "just in case" so they'd be none the wiser - this way, the player whose PC disappeared would have a character to play). I'd also take him aside before the game to let him know what's going on and offer some kind of compensation at the end of the adventure.

-SJ/Ol' Man Grognard.

12/15/2022 6:01 pm  #5

One element I created for Hyperborea (but have not actually used in a game to date) is a highly secretive and nefarious terror group called "The Invisible Empire of Atlantis", which is dedicated to creating a new Atlantean Empire in Hyperborea through any means necessary. (This was inspired by both the actual KKK and the Scarlet Brotherhood from Greyhawk.) I imagine an Atlantean supremacist group like that would be quite interested in getting its hands on any zirconium suits (or other Atlantean technology) that turn up...
It might be simpler, though, to just say that the suit can only survive one more critical hit. That would take it out of your campaign before too much longer.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.