!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/06/2014 10:14 pm  #1

Extermination vs. Familiars

Hi, all,

Figured I should make my first post about a question that came up as one of my players and I were making characters (our first actual session will be Saturday).

It seems like the lvl. 1 necromantic spell extermination would be a great way to cause some damage to a magician, no? Small animals of 1/4 HD save or die. I wonder if it would affect a witch's familiar, which are daemons in the shape of an animal? Because that's a kind of badass way to kill a witch!

Should the spell be able to do so? I assume someone on this board is quite in the know about such a question!

Glad to be here. Looking forward to playing this weekend!

H

3/07/2014 6:18 am  #2

Re: Extermination vs. Familiars

I haven't got an official answer, but I would most certainly allow it. I mean, my players would surely feel great for figuring out how to effectively use such a spell; why would I take that away?

3/07/2014 6:40 am  #3

I wouldn't allow it, because the extermination spell clearly states "ordinary" bats, rats, small birds, etc. The witch's familiar is immediatly stated to be a demon; this, to me, disqualifies them from being subject to the spell. Of course, YMMV, and like Ynas Midgard mentions above, it's always great to see players figuring out new and creative ways to use spells. 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

3/07/2014 8:24 am  #4

Personally I accept Jeff's ruling as "official", but I wouldn't have allowed it anyway.  I consider familiars to be spirits bound in flesh - I even give them alignments matching their master or mistress, rather than making them automatically Neutral like a normal animal - so I don't regard them as subject to a spell intended to kill mere vermin.  To take some of the sting out of this ploy failing, I would probably have the familiar lose an action and do something arguably entertaining like vomiting maggots.  But it wouldn't die.

Last edited by Blackadder23 (3/07/2014 8:25 am)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

3/07/2014 8:30 am  #5

Blackadder23 wrote:

To take some of the sting out of this ploy failing, I would probably have the familiar lose an action and do something arguably entertaining like vomiting maggots.  But it wouldn't die.

I like that!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

3/07/2014 9:10 am  #6

I think I definitely wouldn't let it work against a witch's familiar. But a magician's . . . hmm. I like the idea of making my players sad--but I also like the idea of a familiar vomiting maggots! It's so hard to choose.

Thanks, all!

3/09/2014 12:27 pm  #7

Handy Haversack wrote:

I think I definitely wouldn't let it work against a witch's familiar. But a magician's . . . hmm. I like the idea of making my players sad--but I also like the idea of a familiar vomiting maggots! It's so hard to choose.

Thanks, all!

I agree extermination should be effective against a magician's familiar, but not a witch's. The former is more like the AD&D familiar, whilst the latter is something... different.

Blackadder23 wrote:

Personally I accept Jeff's ruling as "official"...

So, Jeff, when can we begin cataloguing your every message board post and endlessly debating your apparently contradictory statements?

3/09/2014 12:57 pm  #8

DMPrata wrote:

Handy Haversack wrote:

Thanks, all!

I agree extermination should be effective against a magician's familiar, but not a witch's. The former is more like the AD&D familiar, whilst the latter is something... different.

I would not allow it there, either, personally, but do what thou wilt, shall be the whole of the law. My contention is this: Even the magician's familiar is noted as a "singular" creature, and that word choice is by intent.

Singular: remarkable, extraordinary, exceptional, outstanding, signal, notable, noteworthy; rare, unique, unparalleled, unprecedented, amazing, astonishing, phenomenal, astounding.

When I consider the supernatural bond with its master, and that it is rare and exceptional, I feel it should be exempt; though I must admit, I do enjoy BA23's resolution above.

DMPrata wrote:

Blackadder23 wrote:

Personally I accept Jeff's ruling as "official"...

So, Jeff, when can we begin cataloguing your every message board post and endlessly debating your apparently contradictory statements?

Maybe I can answer questions with questions! Everbody loves that:

Q: "What happens if a thief picks a lock while wearing chain mail?" 
A: "What do you think should happen?"

;)

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.