!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/15/2022 5:39 am  #1

Lost Treasure of Atlantis Question

The rooms B12, B19, and B23 (the crystal rooms) all have "Scores of tiny holes riddle the dirty marble walls of this room, used for injecting and ventilating gas coolant."

My question is where does the coolant come from and how is it injected into the reactor cores?

9/17/2022 2:38 pm  #2

Re: Lost Treasure of Atlantis Question

Damnit, deathknight4044, I'm a banker, not an Atlantean crystal power plant super scientist! 

Kidding! Thanks for the using the module and asking the question. Give me a few days to... consult.. the, uh, design plans. 

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

9/18/2022 1:11 pm  #3

Chainsaw wrote:

Damnit, deathknight4044, I'm a banker, not an Atlantean crystal power plant super scientist! 

Kidding! Thanks for the using the module and asking the question. Give me a few days to... consult.. the, uh, design plans. 

Thanks I appreciate the reply. After re reading it I acually think I have a rough idea. The water from the enchanted lake is used as coolant, and looking through the instructions for the control rooms, a blue button floods a corresponding crystal room with gas coolant. I believe the tiny holes in the walls of the crystal room then automatically ventilate the gas coolant into the reactor it's connected to. After the reactor is used the silo cools, the gas coolant turns to liquid, and its subsequently flushed down into the caves.

Something like that? Although I doubt it will happen, if my players ask how the gas coolant from the lake is entering the crystal rooms when a blue button is pressed, I can explain it as coming from pipes and unseen machinery converting the lake water to gas within the walls of the crystal rooms.

The only thing that's unclear to me is some of the detail around the crystals. The cavernous parts of the crystal rooms have small uncharged crystals embedded in the walls (and a few that are egg sized). There are also oon scouts in the black crystal lab that have mining equipment, which led me to think they were responsible for mining the uncharged crystals. I have a player with a secondary skill as a jeweler and I'm almost certain he'll ask about the crystals, likely with the the intent to occupy the facility at the end of the adventure. Although if/when he learns about chalak these plans will probably change.

Last edited by deathknight4044 (9/18/2022 1:21 pm)

9/18/2022 10:51 pm  #4

deathknight4044 wrote:

Although I doubt it will happen, if my players ask how the gas coolant from the lake is entering the crystal rooms when a blue button is pressed, I can explain it as coming from pipes and unseen machinery converting the lake water to gas within the walls of the crystal rooms

My response when asked questions like that is "Your PCs don't know the answer to that. Do you want to spend time investigating while I make wandering monster rolls?" That usually moves the adventure right along.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.