!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/01/2022 8:48 am  #1

3rd Edition Monk

Jeff, it appears that the latest version of the monk is allowed to use both their DEX bonus and the AC class bonus where in 2nd edition it was either/or. Am I reading the new version properly?

8/01/2022 2:19 pm  #2

Re: 3rd Edition Monk

I believe Jeff said that the revised 3e monk gets STR and DEX bonuses and class bonuses, so you're reading it properly.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

8/01/2022 6:17 pm  #3

Totally missed that, and was something I always house-ruled in anyway. 

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

8/01/2022 9:32 pm  #4

I think the 2e->3e changes in the monk smoothed things out. More streamlined, using game mechanics as is with minimal "exceptions" to think about.

The FA progression basically is the same as 2e's Accurate Strike.

Changing Empty Hand's attack rate to 2/1 and upping the damage (basically) made it a more viable option. Don't need to "dual wield" your fists now :-) A bit of a bummer that a knock out punch is more difficult but that's a small price to pay for making Empty Hand a more viable option.

What? Me worry?

8/02/2022 10:27 am  #5

I think the change was a good one and it makes the monk a better PC class.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.