!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/26/2022 7:23 am  #1

Procedures

Unlike the Combat Steps and Sequence on pages 265 & 267 of the Player’s Manual, I do not see similar sequences for Dungeons, Wilderness Exploration, or Encounters. I’m assuming I can just use the B/X (OSE) ones?

For example there are steps and sequences for Encounters, for Dungeon Crawling, and Wilderness Exploration. I could simply use the B/X procedures but if there are some in the Hyperborea books I missed I’d like to know.

7/29/2022 1:44 pm  #2

Re: Procedures

'Adventure Actions and Procedures' start on pg 253 (254 of the pdf). They're further detailed under 'Time' and 'Movement' on pg 256 (257 of the pdf).
They aren't formalized into steps, though.

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

7/29/2022 2:32 pm  #3

Jimm.Iblis wrote:

'Adventure Actions and Procedures' start on pg 253 (254 of the pdf). They're further detailed under 'Time' and 'Movement' on pg 256 (257 of the pdf).
They aren't formalized into steps, though.

Yeah. That's exactly what I mean. In the B/X, BECMI, AD&D, OSRIC, and OSE rules those steps are laid out. I think it would be helpful if they were included in a future edition of Hyperborea. 

For example:

OSRIC on page 145 notes the following steps for Dungeon Crawls... (Which is virtually the same as OSE). 

1. Wandering Monster Check
2. Statement of Actions
3. Encounters
4. Book-Keeping

And on page 150, OSRIC notes the steps for Wilderness Hex-Crawls (see page X23 in Cook-Marsh):

1. Weather
2. Navigation
3. Wandering Monster Check
4. Move and Act
5. Encounter
6. Camp
7. Wandering Monster Check & Encounter

And OSE, (from the SRD), has steps for an Encounter (page B23 in Moldvay) which has not yet turned into combat: 

1. Surprise
2. Encounter distance
3. Initiative
4. Actions and response
5. Conclusion

Now, I know these steps and so will most of players familiar with either the Basic or Advanced lines of D&D. But I think that newish players coming from 3e-5e and looking into Hyperborea for the first time could use these actually in the Hyperborea books.

Last edited by Matteus (7/29/2022 2:58 pm)

7/29/2022 3:05 pm  #4

Agreed. Having had both previous versions of the game, I'm still just noticing things that are missing and were useful to the point I still need my 2e book. I just noticed the piece about when to roll for encounters isn't in 3e either. I know space was a big concern as this edition was being developed but formalized adventure procedures would have been a welcome addition to the Referee's Manual (maybe shortening the op-ed material on pg 8-13).
That said, I'm happy with Hyperborea as a supplement to the old-school material I already use. They're beautiful books.

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

7/29/2022 3:11 pm  #5

Also: I'd rather have more Hyperborea setting material and supplements from Jeff and co than yet another edition of the game. Perhaps the absent material can be homed in an Unearthed Arcana type expansion?

7/29/2022 5:33 pm  #6

I'll just repeat what I said when a similar topic was discussed before: everyone who wants to run any version of old school D&D should own and read the 1st edition Dungeon Masters Guide.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.