!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/23/2022 10:26 pm  #1

Fear and Horror

Are there any rules for fright or horror? Often in pulp stories, especially CAS and Lovecraft horror at otherworldly monstrosities is a thing. Any rules to reflect that?

7/23/2022 11:15 pm  #2

Re: Fear and Horror

I haven't played it or had copies of the books so I'm not too sure how they work, but 2e Ravenloft had rules for those specifically, you could probably borrow them though again, I'm not sure how much adaptation would be required. If you really want, the d20 SRD has sanity rules that originally came from Call of Cthulhu d20, but it'd be a bit more work to get that integrated with the Hyperborea rules. Quick and dirty, one could probably use the standard saving throw system to do it too, probably the best option if you don't want to add new rules.

7/24/2022 9:06 am  #3

Carnby wrote:

Quick and dirty, one could probably use the standard saving throw system to do it too, probably the best option if you don't want to add new rules.

This would be my recommendation as well: if you assume the PC's are of heroic stamp then I'd rarely employ this, but a simple ST against fear is already there.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

7/24/2022 11:19 am  #4

A few of the more unnatural monsters (e.g., elder things) can cause insanity on a failed saving throw, but there is no generalized system for this. Frankly, I don't think having relatively hardened fantasy characters lose sanity from seeing skeletons or fish-men would be a valuable addition to the game. These are not Arkham academics.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

7/24/2022 1:51 pm  #5

I'm not sure what's changed in 2nd or 3rd editions, but as 1E defined WISDOM  "an evaluation of common sense, insight, judiciousness, perception, prudence, and understanding...representing one's emotional, intellectual, psychological, and spiritual willpower."  seems to cover fear.   I just have players perform test or feat against that attribute.

7/25/2022 4:25 am  #6

Nice 1 Iron, I agree...

In Mongoose Conan D20 the Terror of the Unknown roll is each time you meet a monster. It 3.0 rules so, DC equals 10 plus half the HD of creature.

To convert to Hyperborea  should not be to difficult by comparing HD, a 2nd-level fighter vs a 3 HD creature/monster could gain a -1 negative to a saving throw (ST) (I would normally choose the prime ST for class). Where as a 4th-level fighter vs the same 3 HD creature/monster would gain a +1 bonus to the ST?

I think the players will generate their own fear and play it through their character because the events will dictate how they react without any rolls of dice?

7/25/2022 9:42 am  #7

Caveman wrote:

I think the players will generate their own fear and play it through their character because the events will dictate how they react without any rolls of dice?

Hopefully so, but I find players are few that voluntarily cower in fear.

7/26/2022 6:05 am  #8

lol, I tend to play the character as is, so big scary thing, is a big scary thing, but your right some may shrug their shoulders and play on, hence Fear rolls...

7/26/2022 7:20 am  #9

Iron Ranger wrote:

I'm not sure what's changed in 2nd or 3rd editions, but as 1E defined WISDOM  "an evaluation of common sense, insight, judiciousness, perception, prudence, and understanding...representing one's emotional, intellectual, psychological, and spiritual willpower."  seems to cover fear.   I just have players perform test or feat against that attribute.

I really like this option. It uses the existing resolution system. Thanks!

7/26/2022 8:41 am  #10

For Horror/Fear, I've used the higher of Wisdom or Intelligence as a line, as both can be used, Wisdom to apply past knowledge to the situation, and Intelligence to understand the situation at hand and apply understanding to the situation. EX, A Wise, but an unintelligent person could apply past knowledge and lore to a situation to overcome the fear/horror of it. An Intelligent, but Unwise, could understand the situation and overcome their fear/horror using their brain to understand the Why/How in the current situation.

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.