!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/27/2022 12:07 pm  #1

Calculated Encumbrance not in 3E Hyperborea?

In 2E ASSH, there was a Table 79 on pg. 236.  Though the rule is listed as optional, at least it gave some guidelines as to how much weight a character could carry before becoming Encumbered which affect Move and AC.  It seem in 3E the determination for encumbrance is now in the hands of the DM to determine.  This seems more abstract. Was this intentional not to include table 79 in 3E?

1/27/2022 12:49 pm  #2

Re: Calculated Encumbrance not in 3E Hyperborea?

It was by intent. If you liked the previous guidelines (which I found unsatisfactory, personally), feel free to use them or you can devise your own guidelines that you think suit your campaign best. Cheers!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

5/24/2022 7:14 pm  #3

Shinrin, I too think a table of known encumbrance values is fairer to players than referee fiat. As a player, let me know what the limits are, and I’ll manage my character accordingly. As a referee, I have enough to do without worrying about what the PCs are carrying. If you prefer calculated encumbrance, then you might make use of the revised Table 79 that my group adopted last year.

HYPERBOREA » Table 79: Calculated Encumbrance, Recalculated (boardhost.com)

Last edited by DMPrata (5/24/2022 7:15 pm)

5/25/2022 12:52 pm  #4

Definitely time to make myself a bookmark.

5/25/2022 3:55 pm  #5

If your group prefers calculated encumbrance, of course do so, using Table 79 from 2E or David's variant, linked above. 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

5/26/2022 9:49 am  #6

I like the 3E  rule - seems like a workable system to me.   I missed that AC penalty - that adds a bit more bite to encumbrance discussions!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.